PDA

View Full Version : OT: Using Airbnb in Mexico

FastforaSlowGuy
10-31-2013, 09:00 PM
My wife is taking a girls weekend to Tulum. She was looking at some places on airbnb, but thought I'd see if anyone has experience using it outside the US (and particularly in Mexico). Safety is among my concerns.

dave thompson
10-31-2013, 09:38 PM
I've not used Airbnb but I have been going to Mexico for decades. Used to live there too. I don't consider less safe than any other country I've been to.

ORMojo
10-31-2013, 10:28 PM
With the appropriate level of due diligence, Airbnb is no more risky than a hotel, VRBO, or other such reservation. In Mexico, as regards safety, I would pay more attention to the location than the rental source.

I don't consider the Tulum area unsafe. We have been going there, and the Rivera Nayarit, for decades, and I consider both fine for reasoned travel to this day, although we strongly prefer Nayarit, which is why we have a place there . . . that we list via VRBO, Airbnb, HomeAway, and a few others. Beyond my above comments, we, by far, still get the largest quantity of renters from VRBO, and the "best" quality of renter.

rwsaunders
11-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Dave...I found one of those old photos from the days when you lived in Mexico...

FastforaSlowGuy
11-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks, folks. She's a pretty seasoned traveler, but always good to have input from folks who've tread the path before.

Louis
11-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Dave...I found one of those old photos from the days when you lived in Mexico...

"Patches? We don't need no stinkin patches."

dave thompson
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM

I was much younger then.