PDA

View Full Version : OT - Plasma vs LED...

oldguy00
10-31-2013, 02:37 PM
For movies and Xbox....which?!

Most of the reviews I read talk about different black levels. But one thing I don't understand is why they never mention the 'soap opera' effect you get on an LED (when paired with blu-ray??). When walking through the big box store, some of the LED's are playing movies, and the picture almost looks like you are in the same room with them (and not talking about 3d).
But then other LED's I've seen playing normal signals look pretty standard...

Oh, not worried about power usage, not a deciding factor for me. And it is in a room that can be dimmed just fine.

Help!

rice rocket
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Plasma is all but dead. Panasonic, the biggest pusher of the plasma, just announced earlier this week that they're quitting.

oldguy00
10-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Interesting....

So can anyone tell me about that soap opera effect I see on some of the LED's?? Is that in fact how blu rays look on LED's?

Thx!

rnhood
10-31-2013, 02:44 PM
If you do a lot of TV watching a plasma will likely look better, as they typically provide a bit truer color renditions and virtually no fast motion artifacts. The modern LED sets are good though, so the difference is narrowing. One of the big players (either Panasonic or Pioneer) recently announced that they will discontinue plasma sets.

The LED sets can be a little brighter which might be important if you watch it a lot in bright rooms. But again, the difference between the two is narrowing. The current plasmas are plenty bright.

I have an upper end plasma and after watching it for a while, the LCD sets seem little exaggerated in color. It appears to me the flesh tones are not quite as true and pure as on a good plasma.

I still favor the plasma.

Liharvy
10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
The "soap opera" effect is most likely due to improper setup. TVs of all types these days have so many settings that you can customize them to your liking.

The standard (factory) setting in the stores are set to "pop" out against the other TVs and don't represent a very good picture. Too bright, too red, etc...

Professional calibration to your individual room is expensive but the easiest and often best way.

Setup discs such as THX Optimizer or DVE (Digital Video Essentials) let you do it yourself but unless your eyes are really, really good, your results may vary from optimal.

What I've done with every HD (LED, LCD, or Plasma) I've purchased in the last few years is an internet search for make and model settings. Some forum somewhere will list your TV with the exception of the more obscure brands.

As far as Plasma vs LED goes, most of the cons of plasma have been mitigated from the start of the flat screen era and they are very good now (at the end) and Panasonic makes some awesome ones. Plasmas have historically had better and deeper blacks but the newer LEDs/LCDs have come close enough that Plasma's initial superiority in that regard has been minimized. LEDs/LCDs have had poor viewing angles.

Something like the VT60 series from Panasonic wouldn't be a bad deal with their closeouts and they will stand behind it for the warranty period and likely beyond. That will probably be my next TV purchase as I'm in the market myself at this time.

Good shopping.

jlwdm
10-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Plasma. Get a Panasonic while you can.

Jeff

Louis
10-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Interesting....

So can anyone tell me about that soap opera effect I see on some of the LED's?? Is that in fact how blu rays look on LED's?

Thx!

Info here (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57569102-221/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/)

tuscanyswe
10-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Imo the "soap opera" effect is not just a set up issue. Some leds even more pricey were amazingly bad to watch movies on. Everything looks like it was recorded in a studiosetting. The cinematic feel was completely gone.

My parents have one of these. Lucky the dont notice and just think the pictures is super cause the colors are so bright. Its great to watch sports on tho.

There are however LEDs that are great to watch everything on as well. My brother has one and i cant notice it beeing better or worse than my plasma (that im very happy with btw).

If i bought today i would most likely get a LED but a good one!

Edit: Louis post above seem like a good resource. Ive played around with the picture setting one the parents LED alot.. without result before but maybe i should have another go.

HugoBear
10-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Plasma. Get a Panasonic while you can.

Jeff

Good advice.

I have a vt50 and it is the best TV for the money I have ever seen except for the Pioneer Kuro. If you look at the reviews from HDNet, etc. the Panasonic plasmas are top rated.

bfd
10-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Good advice.

I have a vt50 and it is the best TV for the money I have ever seen except for the Pioneer Kuro. If you look at the reviews from HDNet, etc. the Panasonic plasmas are top rated.

Although I'm intrigued everytime I go into Costco and see the 80" LCD on display, count me as another BIG Plasma tofosi! My 2008 Panasonic Plasma is fantastic and still going strong! Further, a few years ago, Panasonic bought the Pioneer Kuro technology and I believe have incorporated it into the VT and ZT series.

If it is true that Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business, time to buy another before its gone! Good Luck! :eek::(:butt::banana:

Louis
10-31-2013, 05:11 PM
9-spd. Hoard those ultegra 6500 & 6510 components while you can.

Jeff

ftfy

jlwdm
10-31-2013, 07:26 PM
ftfy

Don't insert Shimano in my quotes. All three bikes are Campy 11.

As I understand it a lot of the Pioneer plasma talent went to Panasonic when Pioneer stopped making plasmas. I picked up 2 Panasonic plasmas 2 months ago.

The recent focus has been larger screens at lower prices - not better quality.

Louis, I don't think you care as I don't think you have a tv or cable or something.

Jeff

Don49
10-31-2013, 07:39 PM
For watching movies mostly I went with a 50" plasma, picture quality seemed more natural than lcd.

I don't recommend Samsung now, having had two of their plasma tv's and one dvd player fail just outside the warranty period.

As suggested, http://www.avsforum.com is a great resource for audio/video information. I also recommend the podcast http://www.htguys.com.

Louis
10-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Louis, I don't think you care as I don't think you have a tv or cable or something.

Not necessarily true.

As an enginerd I'm interested from a technical perspective. One doesn't have to be a potential customer to care about science and technology.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-31-2013, 08:57 PM
I finally splurged on a good TV last year and went plasma. The LEDs look great, but partly that's because the showrooms are really bright. When you get them in a dark room, it's overwhelming. And when you look at a good plasma next to a good LED, the colors are simply better on the plasma. I'm not an electronics geek, but even I could see that. I'm sure the differences are narrowing, though.

parris
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
I wonder if a part of Panasonic deciding to get out of plasma sets could be due at least in part the coming of uhd.

I picked up a Pany plasma that was a floor model a couple of years ago figuring the very reasonable (cheap) price was worth the gamble. There have been no issues and it really does have a great picture.

#campyuserftw
10-31-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a Panasonic plasma:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viera-50-class-49-9-10-diag--plasma-1080p-600hz-smart-hdtv/8130126.p?id=1218864361009&skuId=8130126&st=pcmcat193400050016_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

Had a Samsung DLP from almost the day it came out. Changed television viewing for me. Incredible leap back then, entering HDtv. When it died, plasma was still the best; true colors, re-fresh rate for movements on the screen etc.

For the money this is a great, awesome LED with 240Hz :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/m-series-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-240hz-smart-3d-hdtv/8768104.p?id=1218890758669&skuId=8768104&st=pcmcat193400050018_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=2

Or 120Hz:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/47-class-46-9-10-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/7524079.p?id=1218849840540&skuId=7524079&st=pcmcat193400050018_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=7

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/8064062.p?id=1218863885647&skuId=8064062&st=pcmcat193400050018_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=3

When my plasma dies, I'll go with LED. The prices now for the 240Hz rates are high, but will come down ahead. The UHD isn't something I need right now, nor 3D (which for home use seems like a gimmick).

aramis
10-31-2013, 11:51 PM
I have a 50" vizio plasma (I think it's 6 years old or so) that I got used for $175 and the picture looks really good but is heavy as hell and uses way too much electricity (I should go check again but it was something like 300w on my meter). I don't use it enough for the electricity cost to matter, but if I were to buy new, I'd get an LED just from the power usage standpoint.

HugoBear
11-01-2013, 12:30 AM
I have a 50" vizio plasma (I think it's 6 years old or so) that I got used for $175 and the picture looks really good but is heavy as hell and uses way too much electricity (I should go check again but it was something like 300w on my meter). I don't use it enough for the electricity cost to matter, but if I were to buy new, I'd get an LED just from the power usage standpoint.

That is true. My plasma uses a lot of energy and also puts out a lot of heat.

soulspinner
11-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Plasma rocks, LED or OLED when it dies.

josephr
11-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I've never owned a plasma...however, the older LCDs were back-lit by flourescent bulbs and the new LED backlit screens are much better with blacks and have much better contrast than the older LCD screens. If you go with LED, I wouldn't get anything less than 120Hz.

My tv has the 'smoothing' thing...never experienced the 'soap opera effect'....
Joe

Bob Ross
11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm in the industry; my day job is working for a custom Audio/Video Design & Integration firm, so I can get any TV I want at dealer cost.

I bought a Panasonic plasma.

hoonjr
11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Another Panasonic plasma buyer here. 65VT50.

#campyuserftw
11-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Damn you OP. Now I'm looking at tv sets.

MadRocketSci
11-01-2013, 10:23 AM
soap opera effect can be turned off on my samsung led....one of the auto smoothing or anti motion blur options....if you want more specifics i can go into the menu when i get home to see which option controls it, but it's not hard to do...it's not a service menu option like turning off auto-dimming on a sammy.

bfd
11-01-2013, 10:33 AM
That is true. My plasma uses a lot of energy and also puts out a lot of heat.

I think it is all relative. As I recall, a 55" LCD/LED will probably use about $25/ year in electricity. My old 2008 50" Panasonic Plasma uses something like $80/year in electricity. In my book, that's not that big a deal and for the better picture quality, I can live with it!

I admit that my plasma is heavier (glass screen) and does put out alot of heat, but my tv is in an open area, so its not really a problem.
Good Luck! :banana::butt::eek:

mcteague
11-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I had a 50" 720p Panasonic Plasma and replaced it with a 63" Samsung 1080p Plasma. When I researched each purchase the consensus was that, for best movie quality, Plasma was still #1. No regrets. My room is not super bright and I don't play video games. I just wanted the best quality picture for DVDs and BluRays. With the larger 1080p, set I have ended up replacing my favorite DVDs with BluRays. The difference in quality is VERY apparent.

Tim

HugoBear
11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I think it is all relative. As I recall, a 55" LCD/LED will probably use about $25/ year in electricity. My old 2008 50" Panasonic Plasma uses something like $80/year in electricity. In my book, that's not that big a deal and for the better picture quality, I can live with it!

I admit that my plasma is heavier (glass screen) and does put out alot of heat, but my tv is in an open area, so its not really a problem.
Good Luck! :banana::butt::eek:

True, the financial difference in energy used is pretty nominal and the picture quality is much better than LED.

oldguy00
11-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Damn you OP. Now I'm looking at tv sets.

I think that sort of thing happens a lot on these forums... :)

We currently have two Panasonic Viera? 42" Plasmas that we've had for a few years, bought from Costco. Still working great. I'm just looking for a 50-55" to put in a new rec room we have, thus the thread.
I'd love to get one of the higher end Panasonic VT plasmas, but that will be pushing the budget too much.

CDollarsign
11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I have an 8000 series Samsung plasma and love it. The color, picture, and motion are far superior to any LED I have seen. Its a same that manufacturers aren't pushing this technology along further...

shovelhd
11-02-2013, 05:17 AM
I used to run a business like Bob Ross works for. Panasonic plasma all the way. If the customer could afford a commercial panel I'd install them, otherwise the consumer version. I have one of the last 37" sets in my family room. In the living room I have a Samsung DLP, chosen based on cost. Excellent picture, contrast, black levels, speed, but the plasma is nicer. It's almost half the size, which is a factor.

Black Dog
11-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Another Panasonic Plasma user here. 5 years old and still a great set. Does not use a ton of electricity once you have the settings dialled in. Perhaps ~$25 more a year than LED. Worth every penny.

mvrider
11-03-2013, 11:41 AM
The Japanese consumer electronics companies are really hurting, but the picture quality of Panasonic plasmas is universally praised:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-16/if-panasonic-quits-plasma-tv-snobs-will-cry

Frankwurst
11-03-2013, 03:46 PM
2 Panasonic plasmas in our house. Not that I know js about tv's but I know what my eyes like. :beer:

ckamp
11-03-2013, 06:26 PM
strong sunlight in the room = led

otherwise get a plasma on sale.