PDA

View Full Version : carbon tubes

jpw
03-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Are the carbon tubes on the Ottrott 'Firm Flex"?

Dude
03-08-2004, 12:39 PM
The name "Firm Flex" doesn't really make sense when you think about it (how can something that is firm flex?) Usually the carbon tube selection is chosen by the designer of the bike (most likely mr. Kelly Bedford). The carbon tubes (used to be, I am not positive if they still are) are determined by the weight of the rider and the desired ride from the customer.

So to answer your question, there are firm flex tubes for the ottrott but the tube selection will vary depending on a few variables.

Hope that helps!

:Insert animated emoticon here:

Bruce K
03-08-2004, 01:09 PM
When I was ordering my Ottrott I was told that Serotta uses 4 different carbon tubes to tailor the ride charactersitics.

If "Soft" (a misnomer) is the "most flexible" and "Stiff" the least there were also "Medium" and "Firm".

Most Ottrotts were at the time being built with Medium (I believe) as I had to specify the Firm tubes for my bike.

The Ottrotts for USPS Masters (and I assume Sierra Nevada) were the Stiff tubes. Kelly steered me away from those boys as being a ride I would not enjoy over long periods of time.

I do love the firm tube set as it gave me the exact bike I was looking for.

The only way to know for sure would be to specify your tube set, or have your dealer (or yourself) call Serotta and ask.

BK

jpw
03-08-2004, 01:26 PM
The reason i ask is that someone is selling an Ottrott in the classified section and on Ebay and has described the carbon tubes in the frame as Firm Flex, which may imply that this is a particular brand of carbon tube, a brand i haven't heard of. In faqct i haven't come across the name sof any of ther tube brands being used on various frames. Fork blades yes, tubes no. I'm of the understanding that not all carbon tubes are made equal.
I assume the Serotta tubes are of excellent quality, Firm Flex or not.

Dude
03-08-2004, 02:16 PM
"Firm Flex" isn't a brand, it is a label given to the tubes by Serotta designating the layup of the carbon and how it is designed to ride.

Hope that helps!

Kevin
03-08-2004, 05:49 PM
I have the firm tubeset on my Ottrott ST. I have had the bike for about a year. The tubeset is wonderful. It absorbs almost all road vibration while still giving you a feedback from the road. I have not tried any of the othe tubesets.

Kevin