PDA

View Full Version : Partially threaded valve stem

SteveV0983
10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Anyone know of any good tubes (700 x23+/-) with a partially threaded presta stem? I don't like using threaded stems because they chew up my pump seal (I pump up before every ride). Today I had a failure where the valve attaches to the tube on a Vittoria tube and it happened while I was pushing the pump head on. I'd like to find a tube with a smooth top part so it doesn't chew up my pump and a threaded bottom part so I can put one of those little nuts on it so I don't stress it while attaching the pump. I saw one at REI, but it is a house brand and I don't know how good the actual tube is. Anyone know of such an item? Thanks.

buldogge
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
The majority of tubes sold are re-branded and are made in either Kenda's or Cheng Shin's factories (just look at the imprint on the tubes).

Sure, there are a few euro tubes available, especially latex.

The smooth stem is present on both the 32 and 48mm Sunlites (standard) we get from JBI, for example.

-Mark in St. Louis

sales guy
10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Hutchinson tubes are usually no thread valves. Sometimes you will find Michelin and continental tubes the same way.

OtayBW
10-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Vittoria. All I've used for years. Work great.

SteveV0983
10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
I currently use either the Michelin or the Vittorias, but they are FULLY smooth. I'm trying to see if there are any other options similar to this:

http://www.rei.com/product/841138/novara-superlite-presta-tube-700-x-18-23

which are smooth on top but threaded on the bottom.

sales guy
10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
OP,

You could always just get a Lezyne pump. Then it won't kill anything since the pump head threads on. I love my lezyne pump. Just wish the handle was like 1" wider on each side. That's all though.

josephr
10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
I currently use either the Michelin or the Vittorias, but they are FULLY smooth. I'm trying to see if there are any other options similar to this:

http://www.rei.com/product/841138/novara-superlite-presta-tube-700-x-18-23

which are smooth on top but threaded on the bottom.

yep....I think you can get the Michelin ones from Nashbar or Amazon as well.

druptight
10-29-2013, 10:45 AM
People don't seem to be following that you want partially threaded ones.

How about these:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_207836_-1___202475

SteveV0983
10-29-2013, 02:17 PM
People don't seem to be following that you want partially threaded ones.

How about these:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_207836_-1___202475

Thanks for that link and you are correct that this is what I am looking for. The only thing is that this is the exact tube that separated at the valve on me and the one I have is not threaded at all - it is completely smooth. Makes me wonder if Nashbar put up the wrong photo, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. Thanks again for the link.

ultraman6970
10-29-2013, 02:24 PM
No idea what pump do you have, but the silca pump head will need to be beaten the crap out of it like for 300 years before the seal rubber thing really needs to be replaced. Simple and works.

http://img.artscyclery.com/big/SIBPH24-1.jpg

druptight
10-29-2013, 02:24 PM
I think I've got 1 or 2 of these in the parts bin at home, I'll take a look when I get home and report back on the nature of the threadedness of them.

druptight
10-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I did follow up in the parts bin at home last night. My vittoria ultra lite tubes are a few years old but were fully unthreaded, unlike the ones in the picture from Nashbar.

josephr
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I did follow up in the parts bin at home last night. My vittoria ultra lite tubes are a few years old but were fully unthreaded, unlike the ones in the picture from Nashbar.

I was under the impression that most folks threw those little valve-stem nuts away. You still wanting to use them?
Joe

druptight
10-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I was under the impression that most folks threw those little valve-stem nuts away. You still wanting to use them?
Joe

I throw them away. OP wants to use them as he apparently blew a tube out by pushing too hard with the pump.

I guess maybe a question for the OP would be what sort of pump are you using that requires that much push to get it to engage. I use a specialized air tool (which I LOVE!) and i don't have to push too hard before I flip up the flipper thing that locks the pressure.

Ralph
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
On my pump, A Toppeak, I leave the rubber seal loose while sliding it on so it doesn't chew the seal, then tighten the seal after it's on, then pump tire up, then pull the pump head off. I use threaded tubes, or any kind really, and don't notice any rapid seal wear.

SteveV0983
10-30-2013, 07:05 PM
The problem occurred while trying to push on a Topeak Road MasterBlaster frame pump, which is much more difficult to push on than my Topeak floor pump (and, yes, it obviously was "open"). But it made me wonder if all the on and off of my floor pump weakened the tube. Either way, I'll probably just stick with Michelin tubes because even though they seem to flat easier than the Vittoria (for me anyway), I've never had a Michelin fail at the valve like this.

ultraman6970
10-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Steve, dont take me wrong ok? But you need to try to find one of the old silca frame pumps, those just works.

Steve530
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Specialized Turbo Ultra Lite tubes are threaded at the base with the rest of the stem smooth. At least the tubes I bought last year were like that.

SteveV0983
10-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Specialized Turbo Ultra Lite tubes are threaded at the base with the rest of the stem smooth. At least the tubes I bought last year were like that.

Thanks! That looks like exactly what I'm talking about. My LBS is a huge Spec dealer so I'll go check them out.

josephr
10-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks! That looks like exactly what I'm talking about. My LBS is a huge Spec dealer so I'll go check them out.

so....what happens if you decide to go tubeless? does Stan's make half-threaded or non-threaded valve stems?
Joe