PDA

View Full Version : OT the value of music lessons

rwsaunders
10-29-2013, 06:02 AM
Tell your kid to keep rocking that oboe.

http://m.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/the-next-great-inventor-will-likely-take-music-lessons-as-a-kid/32935?tag=nl.e660?s_cid=e660&ttag=e660&ftag=TRE4eb 29b5

redir
10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
This is why it bugs me when budget cuts remove arts from public education. Music is math and science and art all rolled into one fun and addicting package.

Bob Ross
10-29-2013, 09:00 AM
great link, thanks!

(...says the guy who had music lessons from age 8, went on to get a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in music...and doesn't hold any patents.)

RFC
10-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Agree with all of the above.

Also, chicks dig guys who play the piano, so you've got that going for you!

Pars
10-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Also agree with all of the above.

My BA is in Music as well, but I work as an engineer now. I finished my degree even though I knew I probably would not use it, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

MadRocketSci
10-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Also, chicks' moms dig guys who play the piano, so you've got that going for you!

fixed it for you :)

MadRocketSci
10-29-2013, 11:55 AM
This is why it bugs me when budget cuts remove arts from public education. Music is math and science and art all rolled into one fun and addicting package.

agreed...music and art are the first things to go.

Ken Robb
10-29-2013, 12:13 PM
My wife is Music Director at a Lutheran Church and School. She leads kids' choirs,adult choir and handbell choirs. All the kids get music and art instruction. She is also the organist and gives private lessons on piano and/or organ.

Quite a few parents say they chose this school because of the music/arts programs and not the religious affiliation and instruction. Most music/art programs in our public schools have been eliminated. I got free private trumpet lessons from 3-8th grade at my public elementary and junior high and could have continued through HS but chose other activities/jobs. Most of the really good kid musicians I knew were also math wizards.

crownjewelwl
10-29-2013, 12:15 PM
i spent every saturday morning for 12 years at orchestra...

all i have to show for it is a custom bike

chwupper
10-29-2013, 12:22 PM
i spent every saturday morning for 12 years at orchestra...

all i have to show for it is a custom bike

I do professional freelance singing on the side. The money I make finances my bike habit. The bike stuff I buy is therefore not high end, but it all keeps me entertained and happy! :banana:

redir
10-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Not to mention the health benefits of learning an instrument. Increases memory, reduces stress and Promotes happiness to name a few. And for kids it teaches discipline, promotes social skills, concentration, coordination, perseverance and creates a sense of achievement.

I taught myself to play the guitar and later how to build them. I still do both practically every day of my life, not sure what I would do without it.

MattTuck
10-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I'd like to see this paper that was published a little more closely.

I'm not sure if this was an actual experiment or if it was a simple prospective study. Lots of things that are good for children's development could correlate to music exposure (including wealth, stable home life to practice instrument, time to practice instrument, education of parents, parental involvement in developing their children, etc.)

I believe music is important (as someone who played the saxophone for one year before parents took it away, and still has dreams of learning an instrument (cello, guitar or piano would be my top choices) as an adult.), but we should be skeptical when a study suggests putting an instrument into children's hands is going to make them the next Steve Jobs.