PDA

View Full Version : Looking for multi-speed chain guard. Ideas?

eddiekilowatt
10-28-2013, 11:16 PM
I've got one bike, a Salsa Casseroll. I'm not going to accessorize with a commuter bike that only has one speed. My commute is 15-20 miles one way depending on the route. I'd like to get a chain guard for the bike (which has three rings up front) so I don't always arrive to work with one wrinkly pant leg. Anybody have any lightweight suggestions that aren't plastic? Looking for something attractive to match the bike. Thoughts?

Louis
10-28-2013, 11:22 PM
This doesn't answer you question directly, but I thought most commuters left their dress / work clothes at work and wore bike stuff (in this case shorts/knickers/tights) for rides.

(I don't bike-commute.)

RichardL
10-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Anybody have any lightweight suggestions that aren't plastic? Looking for something attractive to match the bike.
What's the largest chainring and its BCD? Light aluminum and carbon fiber chain guards are available.

josephr
10-29-2013, 10:28 AM
I've got one of those leg-pant snap-around reflector thingys that helps keep your pant leg tight if you want it.
Joe

druptight
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Man - that's a LONG commute to be doing in the same clothes you wear at work. I would sweat right through my work clothes! I commute in spandex for all to laugh at me, and change when I arrive.

staggerwing
10-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Perhaps not the answer you were looking for.

However, I picket up a Casseroll single speed (w chainguard) from this group a couple of years back, and converted it to a commuter rig by building an IGH based (SRAM i-Motion 9) rear wheel for it. Also added a dynamo front too, but that is another story. Works just spiffy, for what it is. However, it is not my first choice for longer commutes, like you mention. Prefer to suit up and pedal a traditional drivetrain in those situations. YMMV.

eddiekilowatt
10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah maybe you guys are right and I should just bring my work clothes with me when I ride. It's a new job I start in a couple weeks and was hoping to avoid changing upon arrival but perhaps that will have to be.

eddiekilowatt
10-29-2013, 11:39 AM
It's got 48 / 36 / 26 T for front chainrings.

druptight
10-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I mean - everyone's mileage is different, but I can't ride 3 miles, let alone my 10 mile each way commute without sweating like a champ. My clothes would be sweaty in the winter, nevermind the summer. I'm also incapable of riding at an easy pace. Every time I get on my bike and tell myself I'm going to take it easy and try not to sweat - 2 minutes later I'm spinning at 95, just like always.

If I rode 15-20 miles in my work clothes, no one would want to come near me when I got to work.

Invest in a nice rack and pannier, and have a nice ride.

jasonlee
10-29-2013, 03:57 PM
.. and keep in mind that even though the Casseroll came with a front rack, it's not designed for a front load. Get a rear rack. The trail on that fork is good for a tiny handlebar bag with only a sandwich in it.

Zoodles
10-29-2013, 04:10 PM
I have been looking for a chain guard for my fixed gear as well, in the meantime a bash guard or protector from an older crank (like an 80's style sugino) is an alternative.