PDA

View Full Version : Park Glueless patch issue

SteveV0983
10-28-2013, 07:04 PM
I have been using Park glueless patches for years and have never had one not stick. Until today. And I had never used the sandpaper. Until today. So I got a flat, found the little puncture, and for some reason unbeknownst to me, I did the light sanding today that they recommend and then applied the patch, pumped up, and went on my way. About 10 minutes later, it was flat again so I took it off and it turns out that the are that I sanded, which was a thin strip along the length of the tube, did not hold the patch. The areas that I did not sand were fine. So I figured I’ll just add an additional patch to either end of the original and that will seal it up – except I only had one left. Needless to say, it didn’t work.
Has anyone found that actually sanding the tube makes the patch not stick? As I mentioned, years of no sanding and years of no problems. Maybe I should have wiped the sanded area with a wet fingertip or something. Lesson learned I guess.

Louis
10-28-2013, 07:27 PM
For me they're good enough to get me home, then they loose pressure overnight. I've never tired sanding for a pre-glued patch.

I've changed my approach to simply putting a new tube in, and taking the punctured tube home to toss in a pile in the basement. Eventually I may get around to patching them, but that's not terribly likely.

moose8
10-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I've found that if I put any part of the patch over the seam down the middle of the tube the patch doesn't work. If I can get it over the tube without touching the seam they usually work ok but often don't last that long, but that's not what they're made of I guess.

Ken Robb
10-28-2013, 07:38 PM
For me they're good enough to get me home, then they loose pressure overnight. I've never tired sanding for a pre-glued patch.

I've changed my approach to simply putting a new tube in, and taking the punctured tube home to toss in a pile in the basement. Eventually I may get around to patching them, but that's not terribly likely.

Hey, you might have a long, cold, boring winter and be glad you have them to keep you from cabin fever.

josephr
10-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Hey, you might have a long, cold, boring winter and be glad you have them to keep you from cabin fever.

What he does with his tubes in his basement is his own business!

back to topic -- I replace the tube road-side and keep patches on-hand as my back-up plan. I do, however, patch when I get them home...no sanding, and the Innovative seem to hold better than the Park.
Joe

christian
10-28-2013, 09:36 PM
I carry a spare tube on the rare ride I ride clinchers. I also carry a Rema Tip Top case, but I patch at home, unless I have multiple punctures.

But glueless patches, no. Rema Tip Top is where it's at.

soulspinner
10-29-2013, 02:25 AM
I carry a spare tube on the rare ride I ride clinchers. I also carry a Rema Tip Top case, but I patch at home, unless I have multiple punctures.

But glueless patches, no. Rema Tip Top is where it's at.

This

biker72
10-29-2013, 04:55 AM
My patching efforts have been questionable at best. I always carry one or sometimes two extra tubes.

wallymann
10-29-2013, 06:25 AM
this. i carry 2-3 tubes (crappy roads in my area).

all patching done at home where it's clean/controlled.

...glueless patches, no. Rema Tip Top is where it's at.

pakora
10-29-2013, 06:31 AM
I do use glueless patches when I'm stuck (I use the same saddlebag with a skinny road tube when I'm riding my cross bike, on which I rarely puncture on non-race rides) and I always sand because heh my grandpa always did. But...

Rema Tip Top is where it's at.

These are just the best. The way the thin fringe of the rubber like mindmelds with the tube... I think these might be my favorite bike "component" for pure functionality.