Helmets Still Uncommon Among Children in Bicycle Accidents
Caroline Helwick
October 28, 2013
Comment
PrintEmail
EDITORS' RECOMMENDATIONS
Emergency Visits for Children's Sports Injuries Waning
Sports-Related Concussion in Kids May Have Complications
CT Scans Overused in Emergency Assessment of Pediatric Head Trauma?
DRUG & REFERENCE INFORMATION
Subclavian Vein Thrombosis
Head Trauma
Closed Head Trauma
ORLANDO, Florida — Only 1 in 10 children involved in a bicycle accident was wearing a helmet, a review of emergency department records in Los Angeles County shows.

"We found decreased use among older children, minority groups, and those of lower socioeconomic status," said Veronica Sullins, MD, from Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, California.

Bicycle-related injuries are responsible for more than 250,000 visits to the emergency department and nearly 200 deaths a year. California has the second highest number of cyclist fatalities.

The use of a bicycle helmet reduces head injuries by 63% to 88%, but a small number of children younger than 15 years wear helmets, Dr. Sullins reported.

She presented the research here at the American Academy of Pediatrics 2013 National Conference and Exhibition.

Dr. Sullins and her team reviewed information from the Trauma and Emergency Medicine Information System for patients younger than 18 years. The median age of the children was 13 years, and 64% were male.

The primary end points were the association between helmet use and age, sex, insurance status, and race or ethnicity.

Only 11% Wore Helmets

Of the 1248 children identified, 11% were wearing helmets when their injuries occurred. Of these, 13.8% were younger than 12 years and 9.8% were 12 years or older.

Helmet use was 47% more likely in the younger age group (P < .03), was 10 times more likely in white children than in children from a minority group (P < .0001), and was twice as likely in children covered by private insurance as in those covered by public or no insurance (P < .0001).

There were no differences in any of the primary end points between the helmeted and unhelmeted groups. However, "we should note that of the 9 total deaths, 8 children were not wearing helmets," Dr. Sullins said.

On multivariable logistic regression analysis, helmet use did not increase the need for emergency surgery, mortality, or length of hospital stay, after adjustment for age, race and ethnicity, and injury severity score.

Only injury severity score increased the risk for all outcomes. For every 1-point increase in injury severity score, length of stay increased by 0.4 days (P < .0001). Private insurance decreased the length of stay.

"Overall, less than 1% of patients died, few required emergency surgery (5.9%), permanent disability was very low (0.5%), but temporary disability was high (65.4%)," she said.

On the basis of the findings, Dr. Sullins and her team recommend that middle schools, high schools, low-income communities, and minority populations in Los Angeles County be targeted for bicycle safety programs.

Targeted Education

"This study picked up some remarkable trends in the difference in helmet use across different socioeconomic groups," said Tanzid Shams, MD, who leads the concussion and brain injury program at the Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center in Boston. "We need to look more closely at why this disparity exists."

He told Medscape Medical News that "we want all children to wear helmets. One effective strategy would be to develop targeted campaigns that positively reinforce healthy habits."

"The governing bodies for sports such as skateboarding and BMX can really get behind a campaign that encourages wearing helmets anytime one is riding a bicycle. I believe that a consistent message from role models can be highly effective," said Dr. Shams.

He noted that in addition to emphasizing the value of helmets to parents, pediatricians should stress the importance of a proper fit.

"Very frequently, I see a child wearing a helmet that is loosely dangling off the head. When purchasing a bicycle helmet, one-size-fits-all may not be the best approach. The key is to go for a snug fit that does not constrict circulation or vision," he explained.

"Several helmet manufacturers offer adjustable inner harnesses that allow for fit adjustments as the head of the child grows," Dr. Shams said. "This feature is a good investment in terms of protecting the child from potential head trauma."

Dr. Sullins and Dr. Shams have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) 2013 National Conference and Exhibition. Presented October 26, 2013.

#campyuserftw
10-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Socioeconomic/Poor and Lower Class Adults = Heart disease, diabetes, strokes, high cholesterol, single parents, crime and homicide in massively higher numbers, too.

Who do we see to fix the world and when will people, humans, of any income level, color, race, religion or creed, accept responsibility for their actions? It is the parent's responsibility to watch over, guide and protect their child. Always. On and off the bike. If poor children in America have a problem, bike helmets aren't near the top of the list.

Louis
10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
If poor children in America have a problem, bike helmets aren't near the top of the list.

Perhaps, but that's still not a reason to try to get them to wear helmets.

#campyuserftw
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Perhaps, but that's still not a reason to try to get them to wear helmets.

I get it. We're a cycling forum so the topic is germane to us. Let's create a National Bike Helmet Campaign. I support it. I am one who lambasts Rapha for their anti-lid marketing. Let's regulate all marketing moving forward. All bike ads must show cyclists wearing helmets. We'll need to create a Bike Tax so our Government can supply free bike helmets. The poor cannot afford them. While we work on the marketing helmet campaign... it'll need to contain photos, images and few words. Why? Literacy rates.

With the 99 problems taking place within inner cities today...46 million Americans on Food Stamps, $17 Trillion of Debt, 7.3% unemployment, 32 million Americans, some 14% of our population cannot read english, 21% of Americans read below a 5th grade level, 19% of High School graduates cannot read, 85% of all juveniles who are arrested are functionally illiterate, 70% of American prison inmates cannot read above a 4th grade level and the American Literacy Rate has not changed, improved in ten years...and it's on the decline. Perhaps they can add bike helmets to Obamacare? Just as soon as that website is up and running (not that most who need it can read it though).

Do you feel me?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/06/illiteracy-rate_n_3880355.html

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-american-adults-have-low-and-declining-reading-proficiency-20131008,0,3562742.story#axzz2j4T5R2Aj

Interesting:

"Because age helps dictate transportation mode choice, bicycling rates are significantly higher for younger age groups than older ones. The 5-15 year old age group has four times the percentage of bicycling trips as the 40-64 year old age group with 3.2 percent and 0.4 percent respectively (Pucher and Renne, 2003)"

Percentage of Bicycling Trips by Age
Age Bicycle
5 to 15 3.2
16 to 24 0.6
25 to 39 0.6
40 to 64 0.4
65 & over 0.4
All 0.9

Source: Pucher and Renne. Socioeconomics of Urban Travel: Evidence from the 2001 NHTS. 2003.

Gender influences the modal split for bicycling more than for any other modal choice. While trips by bicycle make up 1.2 percent of total trips made by men, bicycling accounts for only 0.5 percent of trips made by women (Pucher and Renne, 2003).

http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/facts/statistics.cfm

Here’s a look at bike trips broken out by racial and ethnic categories:

http://grist.org/biking/2011-04-06-race-class-and-the-demographics-of-cycling/

Chart.

Vientomas
10-28-2013, 07:50 PM
A traumatic brain injury probably makes it more difficult to read.

redir
10-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Most of the college students I see on my campus don't wear helmets either. It very well may be socioeconomic but not according to my microcosm by observation. The police have some sort of program that gets child car seats to the poor. Maybe something like that would work.

SlackMan
10-29-2013, 07:39 AM
At least once a year, our city or another organization here offers free bike helmets to kids. Sadly, casual observation suggests that the percentage who wear the free helmets after taking them is something WAY below 100%.

pbarry
10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Massachusetts has a mandatory helmet law for cyclists 16 years of age or younger.

Tony
10-29-2013, 09:17 AM
At least once a year, our city or another organization here offers free bike helmets to kids. Sadly, casual observation suggests that the percentage who wear the free helmets after taking them is something WAY below 100%.

I see this here on ours rivers where PFDs are offered for free to children but only a small percentage wear them. Sadly we have several deaths a year on the American and Sacramento river due to drownings and not wearing a PFD.

sailorboy
10-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Socioeconomic/Poor and Lower Class Adults = Heart disease, diabetes, strokes, high cholesterol, single parents, crime and homicide in massively higher numbers, too.

Who do we see to fix the world and when will people, humans, of any income level, color, race, religion or creed, accept responsibility for their actions? It is the parent's responsibility to watch over, guide and protect their child. Always. On and off the bike. If poor children in America have a problem, bike helmets aren't near the top of the list.

I got 99 problems and a helmet ain't one....

krhea
10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=#campyuserftw;1443220] Perhaps they can add bike helmets to Obamacare? Just as soon as that website is up and running (not that most who need it can read it though).

Do you feel me?

I don't "feel" you whatsoever. I have many intelligent, literate, hard working friends and family members who can read, need affordable insurance AND they're kids wear helmets, so I'm a bit perplexed by who this "most" is you're referring to....feel me

buldogge
10-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Thank you Kevin…glad someone said this.

-Mark in St. Louis

[QUOTE=#campyuserftw;1443220] Perhaps they can add bike helmets to Obamacare? Just as soon as that website is up and running (not that most who need it can read it though).

Do you feel me?

I don't "feel" you whatsoever. I have many intelligent, literate, hard working friends and family members who can read, need affordable insurance AND they're kids wear helmets, so I'm a bit perplexed by who this "most" is you're referring to....feel me

witcombusa
10-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Do you feel me?

Be sure and let me know when this part happens

oldpotatoe
10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Thank you Kevin…glad someone said this.

-Mark in St. Louis

[QUOTE=krhea;1443473]

No kidding, I guess the gent feels threatened, he may be bounced outta the 1%.

No, feel ME.

ultraman6970
10-29-2013, 04:00 PM
kids not wearing helmets=socioecomonics <--- I have to agree.

Zoodles
10-29-2013, 04:14 PM
I'd argue a kid having access to a bike period, results from socioeconomic factors.
In any case if a helmet stands in the way of riding I can look past they're not wearing one.

#campyuserftw
10-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Do you feel me?

1. The study that started this thread produced this: poor people who ride bikes are dying from not wearing helmets.

2. The "study" has it's results trying to add one plus one and create three; I grew up in a home whereby my father, a medically discharged, medically retired US Veteran, whose income was $75.00 a week, to raise five children, for fifteen years of my childhood, and guess what? While in severe poverty, my parents would not let me skateboard or ride a bike without a helmet. Ever. My mother bought a Bauer hockey helmet at a garage sale and made me wear it every time I left the house for a bike ride.

3. The "study" does not make a connection to financial income, "socioeconomics" and brainpower, discipline or....removal of money from the equation: parents taking accountability and responsibility in making sure their kids are safe. Didn't the post above show where free life preservers are offered to families/kids and yet, kids drown? Government cannot make people smarter, nor make parents care more. Governmental and other studies always seem to strive to make things so black and white...rich versus poor. Money doesn't make people smart. Being poor doesn't make people dumb.

Studies that blame blindly. I find them funny and ironic.

The "socioeconomic" *study* of bike helmets raises several issues. For me it's about one thing: parents parenting and making certain their child does not jump in the water if they can't swim. The data I provided shows us the majority of riders are white kids, aged 5-15, 31% come from the poorest section, and bottom line is this: kids 5-15 year old...it is 100% the parents fault, whether they are loaded or broke, to make certain their kids ride with helmets. Or Bauer hockey helmets. Love, logic and parenting knows not financial income.

Oldpotatoe, I am not close to the 1% economically but...I was recently, gently forced by my company to get a physical last month prior to the new healthcare system, and while older than Chris Horner, I carry a 49.9% HCT level, 16.2 Hgb and stay at Holiday Inn Express once in a while. :)

I wear a helmet to protect my noggin, a habit handed down from mom and dad, and I try to avoid having to use the health insurance I earn, by working each day. There's so many issues facing the poor. We may dwell on bike helmets, but it's such a small issue in reality, and the key is educating the children on the results of not wearing a helmet, while demanding parents take responsibility for their children. I'd see these as the answer moreso than free governmental stuff, free hand-outs, or free bike helmets.

Kids not wearing helmets = Parent's fault imho.

pbarry
10-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Seat belts, are a nuisance, and add to the cost of every new car, yet save thousands of lives every year. Thank you, Volvo for being the first manufacturer to make them "standard equipment". :)

Louis
10-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Seat belts, are a nuisance, and add to the cost of every new car, yet save thousands of lives every year. Thank you, Volvo for being the first manufacturer to make them "standard equipment". :)

Speaking of economic impact, preventing kids from having easy access to cigarettes deprives Phillip Morris (and the health care system as a whole) of millions of dollars of potential future income and profits.

Given the free-market system we all aspire to, it's a shame we prevent the children from doing something that surely many would find cool and attractive.

goonster
10-29-2013, 08:21 PM
My mother bought a Bauer hockey helmet at a garage sale and made me wear it every time I left the house for a bike ride.
I never wore a helmet as a kid. What does that make my mother?

Governmental and other studies always seem to strive to make things so black and white...rich versus poor.

Ugh.

There's no indication that "The Government" had a hand in any of this. Healthcare professionals did a deep dive into some injury data. Result: kids get hurt on bikes, sometimes seriously, and helmets can help with that, but very few kids under 15 wear them.

#campyuserftw
10-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I never wore a helmet as a kid. What does that make my mother?

Ugh.

There's no indication that "The Government" had a hand in any of this. Healthcare professionals did a deep dive into some injury data. Result: kids get hurt on bikes, sometimes seriously, and helmets can help with that, but very few kids under 15 wear them.

Somehow we all survived childhood. :beer:

Do you wear a helmet as an adult?

If you have/had a child, would you ensure he/she wore a helmet?

Helmets save injured cyclists. This is what we learned from the report, but we knew this already. The researchers/data went into rich versus poor. Is there a variable? Or ten? Did the rich have access to better healthcare to recover from the injuries? :confused:

Mark McM
10-30-2013, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=krhea;1443473]

1. The study that started this thread produced this: poor people who ride bikes are dying from not wearing helmets.

The study did not produce this. If you read it again, you'll see that they started with the assumption that helmets prevented death. All the study actually shows is that poor people don't wear helmets.