PDA

View Full Version : Winter Cycling vacation in NM, AZ, UT, etc.

Bud
01-14-2006, 09:05 AM
My wife and I are considering a winter/late winter cycling trip that is within driving distance of our home (near Denver). We have a week of timeshare to use at any one of a number of places (courtesy of my family). We had thought about getting a ski condo in the mountains for a week, but we ski so much right now that we're thinking instead of heading to a warmer place where we get get some riding in before the season really kicks in around here.

So what suggestions do people have for an area in NM, N. AZ, S. UT, etc (places we can easily drive to)? We would probably make the trip in March.

Thanks-

(headed to the mountains now for a couple of days of backcountry skiing :) )

Birddog
01-14-2006, 01:48 PM
St George/Cedar City Utah area would be on my list. I haven't ridden there, but the pictures I've seen are unbelieveable. The weather in March should be warm enough and the tourist season will not yet be in full force (except for the Snowbirds in their motorcoaches). Riding in and around Bryce and Zion looks to be pretty fine. Moab might also be a good choice, there is plenty of road riding available there in addition to the mtn biking.

Birddog

Bill Bove
01-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Tucson. Flat riding, hilly riding, road riding, mountain riding, group riding, fast group riding.

Mexican food.

The Sanoran Desert Mueseum.

Biosphere.

Short ride to Tombstone.

A nice place.

Ray
01-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Tucson. Flat riding, hilly riding, road riding, mountain riding, group riding, fast group riding.

Mexican food.

The Sanoran Desert Mueseum.

Biosphere.

Short ride to Tombstone.

A nice place.
Or better yet, south of Tucson around Sierra Vista, Tombstone, Bisbee area. Tucson without the traffic. But all the charms of the Sonoran area.

-Ray

slowgoing
01-14-2006, 02:53 PM
March is perfect weather in Moab.

PBWrench
01-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Slowgoing is right. You want to go to Moab for the SkinnyTire Festival -- four days of great riding in support of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. - March 3-6. Eight of us heading out there again from Minneapolis; we really enjoyed it last year. Here's the link:

http://skinnytirefestival.com/skinny.html