PDA

View Full Version : Leg length discrepancy, any chiropractors about?

macaroon
10-28-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm having trouble fitting my bike - my legs feel uneven when pedalling.

I seem to naturally sit to the right hand side, probably because my right leg is my favoured/stronger leg. I also ran my saddle far too high for a few years, and this was probably a way of compensating.

Now, my saddle height is in the ballpark, and I'm trying to make a conscious effort to sit central.

However, my legs feel uneven. My left leg seems fine, but my right leg feels like it needs to "stretch" forward a bit when I'm pedalling.

I've video myself on the trainer, I seem to pedal with a dropped heel on my left hand side, yet on the right I pedal more toes down.

Also, when climbing out of the saddle, I feel like I drop down further on my right side, as if my leg is shorter.

Now, I could get a bike fit, although I'd prefer to solve the route cause of the problem. I've read that certain stretches can help sort a functional leg length discrepancy (if that's what I have).

Looking in the mirror/standing against a wall, my legs seem an even length.

I'm going to play about with cleat wedges, but any advice regarding a leg length discrepancy would be appreciated. Or any other ideas as to what could cause my uneven pedalling issues

Thanks

oldpotatoe
10-30-2013, 07:54 AM
I'm having trouble fitting my bike - my legs feel uneven when pedalling.

I seem to naturally sit to the right hand side, probably because my right leg is my favoured/stronger leg. I also ran my saddle far too high for a few years, and this was probably a way of compensating.

Now, my saddle height is in the ballpark, and I'm trying to make a conscious effort to sit central.

However, my legs feel uneven. My left leg seems fine, but my right leg feels like it needs to "stretch" forward a bit when I'm pedalling.

I've video myself on the trainer, I seem to pedal with a dropped heel on my left hand side, yet on the right I pedal more toes down.

Also, when climbing out of the saddle, I feel like I drop down further on my right side, as if my leg is shorter.

Now, I could get a bike fit, although I'd prefer to solve the route cause of the problem. I've read that certain stretches can help sort a functional leg length discrepancy (if that's what I have).

Looking in the mirror/standing against a wall, my legs seem an even length.

I'm going to play about with cleat wedges, but any advice regarding a leg length discrepancy would be appreciated. Or any other ideas as to what could cause my uneven pedalling issues

Thanks

Not a MD of any sort but I found out after I got whacked by a car, my hips aren't parallel to the ground, making my legs different length. Doc mentioned it could be any of the 3 components of your legs to make for length discrepancies, hips, femur or lower leg or a combo of all. For certain reasons of leg length discrepancies, wedges aren't optimum, he said.