PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Superfeet Yellow Insoles for Cycling Shoes?

Ralph
10-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I pronate badly, and for most of my long life have used custom orthotics in all my shoes. They fixed my problems fine. However, my last pair of custom orthotics didn't work as well, and were expensive, and I knew there are big improvements in "off the shelf" orthotics, so I went shopping.

Bought a pair of "off the shelf" moldable orthotics, but basically never got them right. Tried Superfeet, and WOW....instant confort....at a good price. So got them in Green, Blue, and Black.....for various shoes I wear. Been using the black in my Specialized Road shoes, and the blue will work OK also. Am getting ready to order another pair, and wonder if I should get the cycling specific yellow ones, or just stick with the ones I know work well for me. I know the yellow ones are for shoes with "raised" heel, and my Specialized shoes have a raised heel, but with my bulky Look Keo cleat, heal is not raised much in pedal stroke.

I'm inclined to just stick with what I know fits my shoes and works for me, but wondering who has experience with the Yellow ones.

Idris Icabod
10-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Ralph,

I also have pronate feet and use custom orthotics. Mine have a 4 degree slant in each sole to straighten my legs during the pedal stroke. If you don't mind, would you share the angle of your custom orthotics (if any), are the new superfeet available with a wedge of is simply the shape already inherant in the design that accomodates. I looked on the website but it seems pretty vague (and is really slow to load).

Great find at the price if they work for you.

Ralph
10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Don't know the angle of my custom orthotics. Quit wearing them anyway. The Superfeet feel about the same as my custom ones, with the exception the Superfeet come in different thickness sole, so with a shoes where you have a lot of extra room, you use the green, normal toe depth shoe you use a blue, and with a tight fitting shoe you use the black. They make one in yellow for shoes with a higher heel like skate boots, hockey boots, cycle shoes, etc. (their descriptions not mine)

The Superfeet foam arch is supported by a piece of plastic underneath, so the arch support is much firmer than ones with foam only.

Didn't want this to become a subject about which off the shelf insole is better, because there are other popular insoles, just curious who had used the yellow Superfeet one. Will say, for me, these fit as well as my custom ones, are almost as sturdy, and fit diffirent shoes better. They sell on E Bay for about $35 shipped, less sometimes, so for about 1/10 the cost of custom, I think they are worth trying. I wear a 11 shoe, so the "E" size.....9.5 to 11, fits my shoes perfectly. No need to trim.

crownjewelwl
10-28-2013, 12:08 PM
i use the yellows in my road and mtb shoes with good success

i do believe they have black now which is lower profile

thp
10-28-2013, 12:29 PM
i started with superfeet and switched to sole moldables. Offers in many thicknesses and you can get a better overall fit.

alexstar
10-28-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm an overpronator and the yellow Superfeet work well for me... though I haven't ever tried custom orthotics.

SteveV0983
10-28-2013, 07:11 PM
I have used the yellow but I wanted a little extra padding under the ball of the foot so I got the Orange ones and happen to like them better. By the way, the yellow are narrower in the heel (which is why they also recommend them for hockey skates), so if you have a shoe with a wide heel, they may slip around.

rando
10-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Used green in mountaineering and approach shoes for years to good result. Have black in all my road shoes.

Decided to give the new Sidi insole a try since it had vent holes to match the bottom of the wire. Day after I bought a set of black for them I found somewhere that carried the new carbon that is very similar to the black.

Give you a lazy guess what I'm going to recommend here (http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/carbon-73351).

TomNY
10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
I used to be a ski boot fitter and molded a ton of inner soles, as well as custom boots. There are two types of innser soles - corrective and adaptive. Off the store shelves adaptive are available to accommodate general issues. The benefit is additional foot contact with the bottom of the shoe. This allows the weight - force to be distributed over a larger area, and prevent the foot - feet from compressing flat. You can go overboard with hard high arches that don't allow the foot to flex.

Knee - patella over foot is the target in skiing and probably in cycling. IMHO cyclist accomplish this with their skill and do not put the dynamic pressure [G Forces] thru their legs as skiers. The cyclist with "funny feet" or a shoe with inner sole that doesn't "mate" with the foot, puts a light of pressure and time on a small area of the foot.

My old school cycling tip I got [40 years ago ouch!] was knees in up stroke point to end of bar tape on top of the handle bar. This keeps the knees in line more or less for me with my hips and pedals. Good luck! I wear Superfeet Green. BTW

bigman
10-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Anyone use the Sole heat moldable insoles in road shoes?