PDA

View Full Version : When you slam a stem...

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Do you still want a washer on top of the HS? Headset is CK.

I got a set of looong cranks and I dropped my seat a good bit, now I need to drop my bars a bunch.

RacerJRP
10-28-2013, 07:55 AM
I always keep at least a 5mm spacer above the stem, sometimes 10mm. Just in case.

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 07:57 AM
I always keep at least a 5mm spacer above the stem, sometimes 10mm. Just in case.

Let me be more precise: between the stem and the HS.

charliedid
10-28-2013, 08:03 AM
CK wants you to use the nylon (white) washer.

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 08:05 AM
CK wants you to use the nylon (white) washer.

Now I just gotta find it...

Check that...Ima gonna find a 17 degree drop stem so I don't have to cut the steerer or stack ugly spacers on top.

That is all.

PJN
10-28-2013, 08:32 AM
It isn't "slammed" if there is a spacer between the headset and the stem.

Duh.

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 08:34 AM
It isn't "slammed" if there is a spacer between the headset and the stem.

Duh.

Thus the term "washer".

David Kirk
10-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Yes - ideally you would have the white plastic washer between the headset and stem. I think its main function is to eliminate noise that could be caused by any movement between the two pieces.

I can't see anything bad happening if you don't have that thin washer in there frankly but I think King intends for it to be there.

Dave

Mikej
10-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Is lowering your saddle due to longer cranks correct? I would think the top stroke would place your knee in a more cramped position. I usually just leave mine. And yes, spacer on top is fine, I have found stem sack height to vary and sometimes you just need that 5mm.

bobswire
10-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Get a shorter frame instead.

http://i40.tinypic.com/sdio38.jpg

:)

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Is lowering your saddle due to longer cranks correct? I would think the top stroke would place your knee in a more cramped position. I usually just leave mine. And yes, spacer on top is fine, I have found stem sack height to vary and sometimes you just need that 5mm.

I'm a bit more cramped up top, but I was at my limit on shorter cranks, so leaving the saddle in the same position would cause me to a) rock in the saddle and b) over extend the biceps femorus.
We're talking 190 cranks, up from 175. I really don't notice the knees being higher, much.

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Get a shorter frame instead.

http://i40.tinypic.com/sdio38.jpg

:)

I'm thinking I may need to. It'll probably need to be custom, because there aren't a lot of 58s out there w/a 60cm TT.

Tony T
10-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Now I just gotta find it...

If you can't find it....
scuff washer ($2): http://chrisking.com/parts/snapandsealkits

carpediemracing
10-28-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm a bit more cramped up top, but I was at my limit on shorter cranks, so leaving the saddle in the same position would cause me to a) rock in the saddle and b) over extend the biceps femorus.
We're talking 190 cranks, up from 175. I really don't notice the knees being higher, much.

I lower my saddle when I go to longer cranks (170->175mm, 29" inseam). Leg extension weirdness is what causes problems, not the "leg rise" as much. I only go 5mm difference so I drop my saddle 5mm when I go to the longer cranks. This results in a 10mm difference in knee height relative to my torso. You'll be seeing a 30mm difference.

I prefer the drop to the bars from the higher saddle position but when my leg comes up on the longer cranks my leg hits my gut.

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 10:10 AM
I lower my saddle when I go to longer cranks (170->175mm, 29" inseam). Leg extension weirdness is what causes problems, not the "leg rise" as much. I only go 5mm difference so I drop my saddle 5mm when I go to the longer cranks. This results in a 10mm difference in knee height relative to my torso. You'll be seeing a 30mm difference.

I prefer the drop to the bars from the higher saddle position but when my leg comes up on the longer cranks my leg hits my gut.

I'm working on that, too. :cool:

tv_vt
10-28-2013, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=carpediemracing;1442937]I lower my saddle when I go to longer cranks (170->175mm, 29" inseam). Leg extension weirdness is what causes problems, not the "leg rise" as much. I only go 5mm difference so I drop my saddle 5mm when I go to the longer cranks. This results in a 10mm difference in knee height relative to my torso. You'll be seeing a 30mm difference.
QUOTE]

Jeez, I'd think that 3cm higher knee/leg at the 12 o'clock position would be a potential issue in regard to hip angle. Will be curious to hear what you think after trying it out for a while.

Will also be curious to hear if you notice any actual performance gains.

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=carpediemracing;1442937]I lower my saddle when I go to longer cranks (170->175mm, 29" inseam). Leg extension weirdness is what causes problems, not the "leg rise" as much. I only go 5mm difference so I drop my saddle 5mm when I go to the longer cranks. This results in a 10mm difference in knee height relative to my torso. You'll be seeing a 30mm difference.
QUOTE]

Jeez, I'd think that 3cm higher knee/leg at the 12 o'clock position would be a potential issue in regard to hip angle. Will be curious to hear what you think after trying it out for a while.

Will also be curious to hear if you notice any actual performance gains.

The hip angle thingy is probably not as much of a problem for me. With a 37.5" inseam the cranks are more "proportional". I've only been on them for about a week, and I do seem to be able to roll higher gears at higher speeds, but I'm really just concentrating on training myself to turn high RPMs on them. What good is more torque if your RPMs drop too much?

jds108
10-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes - ideally you would have the white plastic washer between the headset and stem. I think its main function is to eliminate noise that could be caused by any movement between the two pieces.

I can't see anything bad happening if you don't have that thin washer in there frankly but I think King intends for it to be there.

Dave

Dave is spot on with this. CK told me though that plastic washer is unnecessary. Just use it if you get any creaking sounds.

josephr
10-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Dave is spot on with this. CK told me though that plastic washer is unnecessary. Just use it if you get any creaking sounds.

my knees need a washer?????
Joe