PDA

View Full Version : Can a Va Moots fit a 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca 30mm Tire

oldfatslow
10-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Anyone out there run this set up?

I have a 54cm Va Moots and looking to fit some fat rubber on it.

tuscanyswe
10-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Dont have a vamoots but have a compact and its not even close to fit. Vamoots from 09 (i believe) and back will share the geo with the compact i have (only diff is sloping vs level tt). The more recent vamoots have a bit different geo but i doubt it will fit the strada biancha. Even if by remote chance the frame did your fork will not if you have a stock road race fork from any brand i can think of.

dogdriver
10-27-2013, 09:43 AM
I second doubting it. I have an '09 Vamoots, tried to run 28mm Contis that barely worked-- less than 1mm clearance on the rear chainstay and rubbing would start with any real-world intervention-- pebbles, dirt, etc. I currently run 25mm Contis with good results, but agree that the 30mm's probably won't work.

happycampyer
10-27-2013, 10:52 AM
As noted above, you have to be concerned about clearance both in the front (fork clearance) and the back (tire comes close to front derailleur clamp). Most standard road forks (367-372mm axle-to-crown height) cannot accommodate a 30mm tire. An Enve fork with a Shimano caliper (and perhaps SRAM?) will clear at least some 28mm tires, but an Enve fork with a Campagnolo caliper will not. The Seven 5E standard road fork will clear a 30mm tire, and perhaps a Wound-Up standard road fork will too. And in terms of clearance in back, the pre-2010 Vamoots chainstay length was basically the same as the current Vamoots CR, and that length is short enough that a 28mm Roll-y Pol-y only has 1-2 mm of clearance. The newer Vamoots geometry will most likely accommodate most 28mm tires, but not a true 30mm tire.

tiretrax
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I was told my a Moots designer that 28 is the maximum tire width on a standard VaMoots. There is a model that is ending in 2013 that has clearance for a 32 with long reach brakes.