PDA

View Full Version : Are headset base plates interchangeable?

FastforaSlowGuy
10-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I have a fork with a CK base plate installed, that I put on a bike with a FSA headset (uncertain which model). I'm wondering if there is a potential compatibility problem, or if "a base plate is a base plate"? The headset is either too loose (i.e., play when you rock the fork) or too tight (i.e., stiffness in steering). My LBS couldn't figure it out, and wonders if maybe the bearings are at the end of their life, but the feel smooth when spun in my hand. The headset came with the bike, but the fork (and base plate) did not. Before I go out and buy new bearings, any chance the baseplate fit is what's causing the problem? I'm guessing not but would appreciate others' input.

alioup
10-26-2013, 10:02 PM
CK has a pretty unique base plate. I wouldn't recommend interchanging with a CK. I have, however, accidentally used an fsa base plate on a cane creek headset for a little over a year without any issues.

SHOCK
10-26-2013, 10:03 PM
that is most likely the issue, and find a new bike shop.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-26-2013, 10:08 PM
that is most likely the issue, and find a new bike shop.

Whoa, ease up there chief. I doubt the shop knew that the base plate was of a different brand. It's not like these things are stamped with a logo, and the FSA one (on the old fork) looks remarkably like the CK one.

Thanks for the intel, folks. Seems like a simple fix.

sales guy
10-26-2013, 10:36 PM
The issues are the angles for the bearings. 36, 41, 45. Those are common angles on sealed bearings. If those don't match the inside of the headset cup or he angles of the crown races, the headset won't tighten properly. It'll rock, loosen up, bind up. All are possible.

King headset crown races are not special, but noticeable. The shop should have noticed it. FSA uses more than one type of bearing angle. 45 is the standard tho. King, cane creek and others, 45's. FSA tho, gotta watch for them. I have a 41 and a 36. Screws things up when I buy a creek and it's wrong. I ended up with two brand new 110 headsets that I can't use!!

FastforaSlowGuy
10-26-2013, 10:39 PM
The issues are the angles for the bearings. 36, 41, 45. Those are common angles on sealed bearings. If those don't match the inside of the headset cup or he angles of the crown races, the headset won't tighten properly. It'll rock, loosen up, bind up. All are possible.

King headset crown races are not special, but noticeable. The shop should have noticed it. FSA uses more than one type of bearing angle. 45 is the standard tho. King, cane creek and others, 45's. FSA tho, gotta watch for them. I have a 41 and a 36. Screws things up when I buy a creek and it's wrong. I ended up with two brand new 110 headsets that I can't use!!

Seems like the easiest fix is to simply drop in some 45* Cane Creek bearings, if the angle is the problem. It costs a bit more than a base plate, but the install is 2 seconds rather than the hour of swearing it will take me to remove the CK base plate.

sales guy
10-26-2013, 10:44 PM
The problem is the angle inside and out. One can be 45 and the other can be 36. FSA is messed like that. That's the problem I had. I have a 36/45 and the creek headset is a 45/45. And then there's the diameter. Could be 41, could be 41.5, could be something else. Honestly, pop the crown race. Easiest and guaranteed way.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-26-2013, 10:54 PM
I'll add this to the list of reasons I hate FSA. I swear, if this stuff didn't come OEM, I would never have any of it on my bikes.

sales guy
10-26-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll add this to the list of reasons I hate FSA. I swear, if this stuff didn't come OEM, I would never have any of it on my bikes.

HA!!!! That's the only reason that stupid thing is still on my bike!

oldpotatoe
10-27-2013, 05:57 AM
I have a fork with a CK base plate installed, that I put on a bike with a FSA headset (uncertain which model). I'm wondering if there is a potential compatibility problem, or if "a base plate is a base plate"? The headset is either too loose (i.e., play when you rock the fork) or too tight (i.e., stiffness in steering). My LBS couldn't figure it out, and wonders if maybe the bearings are at the end of their life, but the feel smooth when spun in my hand. The headset came with the bike, but the fork (and base plate) did not. Before I go out and buy new bearings, any chance the baseplate fit is what's causing the problem? I'm guessing not but would appreciate others' input.

YGBSM.....LBS couldn't figure it out? CK FCR and FSA HS?

Yikes. Ya need a FSA FCR(Fork Crown Race).

SHOCK
10-27-2013, 07:02 AM
...hence why I said find a new shop. Or, maybe give the shop more info. A doctor can't tell you what's wrong if you just say "something hurts, but don't diagnose it...just guess."

FastforaSlowGuy
10-27-2013, 07:11 AM
...hence why I said find a new shop. Or, maybe give the shop more info. A doctor can't tell you what's wrong if you just say "something hurts, but don't diagnose it...just guess."

I bear this one. It didn't occur to me that the baseplate that came in the fork was a relevant detail and I just popped in pre ride for a quick opinion. They were nice enough to drop what they were doing and take a look. If I'd left it and asked them to really dig in then I'd be irritated.

Another "teachable moment" on Paceline. I learn stuff all the time here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

FlashUNC
10-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Please stop calling it a baseplate.

Its a fork crown race.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-27-2013, 07:24 AM

Its a fork crown race.

Chris King says otherwise. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Joachim
10-27-2013, 07:24 AM

Its a fork crown race.

We should let Chris King know...

:)

thwart
10-27-2013, 07:25 AM
rather than the hour of swearing it will take me to remove the CK base plate.Sure, it varies from fork to fork, but it's just not that big a deal to remove a base plate. You can use a screwdriver 'n hammer and just a bit of patience… and some electrical tape or similar around the crown itself to protect it. I use a long thin piece of oak to avoid the tiny dings left by a screwdriver (which on that side of the base plate are only a cosmetic issue, anyway). Has never taken me more than 5 or 10 minutes.

cmbicycles
10-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Just install a king headset and that will solve the problem. ;)

rando
10-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Somewhat related question that spans the decades.

Pulled the Dura Ace 7410 HS off one of my older steel bikes and noticed the base plate was cracked. Given it has sealed bearings I'm curious if there is a currently made replacement that would work?

No idea what dimensions the bearings are unfortunately.

ultraman6970
10-27-2013, 08:00 AM
No idea what angles CKing in their base plate uses, and that is probably the reason the thing is getting too tight or too lose. Either way or the bike takes 45/45 or 36/45. in the case you put a 45/45 and the frame takes 36/45 the problem might not be in the crownrace it is in the upper angle or the angle carved in the frame. The crown race in both systems (campy or cc) is 45 degrees.

From what I had noticed the only difference in faceplates the height of the face place, some are flatter than other ones depending on how low or deep the bearings gets in the frame. That's why is good to stay with the same headset that was in the frame all the time or find exactly the same one, thats why pretty much everybody when gets a fork with the crownrace they test 1st how it goes and if it works ok.

If CK uses 45 degrees face plates the worse case scenario you could have is that the gap between the front tube and the fork crown is too big, but probably will work just fine.

Good luck.

ctcyclistbob
10-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Its a fork crown race.

Not piling on, but as others have said King does refer to the part as a baseplate:

http://chrisking.com/parts/baseplates

"Baseplates:
To many, this is commonly called a crown race. We choose to call it a baseplate as ours is technically not a race. It is the foundation of the venerable Chris King Sealed Bearing headset and is designed as a low cost, sacrificial piece, easily replaced when worn or damaged upon removal ..."

Vientomas
10-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Somewhat related question that spans the decades.

Pulled the Dura Ace 7410 HS off one of my older steel bikes and noticed the base plate was cracked. Given it has sealed bearings I'm curious if there is a currently made replacement that would work?

No idea what dimensions the bearings are unfortunately.

I had a fork re-chromed. The area of the steerer tube where the crown race sits was chromed as well. The thickness of the chrome made the installation of the crown race difficult. My LBS applied some "persuasion" during the installation which resulted in clean crack though the crown race. I was a bit concerned so I did some research and found that some races were actually designed with a "split". I ended up using the cracked crown race no problem. You may not need to replace the race. :)

FlashUNC
10-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Not piling on, but as others have said King does refer to the part as a baseplate:

http://chrisking.com/parts/baseplates

"Baseplates:
To many, this is commonly called a crown race. We choose to call it a baseplate as ours is technically not a race. It is the foundation of the venerable Chris King Sealed Bearing headset and is designed as a low cost, sacrificial piece, easily replaced when worn or damaged upon removal ..."

Well, his "baseplate" should be an FSA crown race.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2013, 12:55 PM
We should let Chris King know...

:)

Ted heee