PDA

View Full Version : rocket7

jerk
01-13-2006, 06:55 PM
so the jerk has always had weird feet issues....his shoes always have holes cut in them to relieve pressure, he's had custom insoles made, tried just about every shoe and pedal combination imaginable and was totally resigned to the fact his feet would start hurting five minutes into a ride and after an hour or so he'd get used to it and it wouldn't matter.....

so a certain domestic pro-team doesn't have a shoe sponsor this year, which somehow made fstrthnu, jeff pierced and the jerk figure they should blow $450 each on shoes....great logic particularly since the jerk is far from being on a pro-team he shouldn't even be talking about shoes with those guys....but the jerk digresses. so the feet are measured ten different ways, a foam mold is taken of each foot and the stuff is shipped out....

one week later the rocket7s arrive, the jerk puts'em on and they feel tight but loose, stiff but soft, in short they don't feel like anything except that the jerk's instep is filled in a weird way that he's never felt before. the heel also feels like it has a hard wrap around it.....the things felt like nothing else the jerk has ever tried on....think of the difference between a nice pair of bib shorts versus a pair of pants....even really nice versace pants don't really "fit" if one is talking about being on a bike....

oh, and the jerk got to pick the color. they're all white and have the super-stiff sole and have "het kwetsen" embroidered on the left foot and "blesser" embroidered on the right. they weigh less than half of what the jerk's old shoes weighed and they look tough, hand-made and pro in the same vein as other pro-level equipment made without intention towards commoditization look. examples include the unfinished carbon on a ferrari forumula one car, ada wheels, walser time trial bikes and many of the jerk's other favorite products.

so this morning the jerk went out for a really fast three hours. it was fast because the jerk's feet not only didn't hurt but felt good. these shoes are good for an additional few watts at the very least, and the jerk found that his average speed was a couple of km/h higher than he expected given his perceived effort and state of form.

smiley had a thread about a "fitting" being the best money one could spend. the jerk knows he's wrong. get some shoes that fit so your feet don't hurt.

jerk

Kevin
01-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I also love my Rocket7s. But my stem is still too short.

Kevin

Serpico
01-13-2006, 07:10 PM

they look tough, hand-made and pro in the same vein as other pro-level equipment made without intention towards commoditization look. examples include the unfinished carbon on a ferrari forumula one car, ada wheels, walser time trial bikes and many of the jerk's other favorite products.

I love this 'non-aesthetic'.

And you can tell it's real, not like the faux-authenticity promulgated by the likes of Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, and pre-washed Levi's.

I know exactly what you mean.

When I called the shop and asked how my matte frame with the matte color fork and only down tube decals looked, the guy said "I looks really industrial".

Dekonick
01-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Happy feet are what make cycling great.

saab2000
01-13-2006, 07:17 PM
What kind of pedals does the jerk use?

jerk
01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
What kind of pedals does the jerk use?

look with black cleats.

jerk

e-RICHIE
01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
smiley had a thread about a "fitting" being the best money one could spend. the jerk knows he's wrong. get some shoes that fit so your feet don't hurt.

jerk

the best fitter is the one that starts with your feet/cleats.
that's the key contact point. if that point is off, well...

e-RICHIE
01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
look with black cleats.

jerk

agreed imho cheers :beer:

Bill Bove
01-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm waffleing between the D2's and Rocket 7's. I also have wierd feet, and they're extremley small. Size 39.5. The D2's look like they were built in your garage, not nearly as nice as the R7's but you can have them rebuilt for not a lot of money later on. I like that.

jerk
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
the best fitter is the one that starts with your feet/cleats.
that's the key contact point. if that point is off, well...

word. if you don't have the feet/cleats dialed you may as well just buy a bike you think looks nice.

jerk

e-RICHIE
01-13-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm waffleing between the D2's and Rocket 7's. I also have wierd feet, and they're extremley small. Size 39.5. The D2's look like they were built in your garage, not nearly as nice as the R7's but you can have them rebuilt for not a lot of money later on. I like that.

i had 2 pair of d2's before i had my rocket7's.
i like the rockets alot, but i thought the d2's
were a better quality shoe and fit.

e-RICHIE
01-13-2006, 07:30 PM
word. if you don't have the feet/cleats dialed you may as well just buy a bike you think looks nice.

jerk

if the cleats fit, you can then commit.©™®

mikemets
01-13-2006, 07:43 PM
I've been thinking of going with Rocket 7's, and have a question. My current shoe is a Carnac, and it seems that the stack height would be reduced with the Rockets...is this the case?

If yes, how do you accomadate for this?

Thanks,
Mike

e-RICHIE
01-13-2006, 07:48 PM
I've been thinking of going with Rocket 7's, and have a question. My current shoe is a Carnac, and it seems that the stack height would be reduced with the Rockets...is this the case?

If yes, how do you accomadate for this?

Thanks,
Mike

you lower the saddle.

manet
01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
you lower the saddle.

tho' many choose to shim the lost space with their credit card(s)

e-RICHIE
01-13-2006, 08:17 PM
tho' many choose to shim the lost space with their credit card(s)

sure, pop.
http://www.onlyinternet.net/preceptor/rm118/grandpa.htm

Fixed
01-13-2006, 08:21 PM
if the cleats fit, you can then commit.©™®amen bro

slowgoing
01-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Do they make custom jackboots?

P.S. Custom is definitely the way to go if you're having shoe trouble. Skaters, who have additional problems because of weightbearing and pushing to the side, realized this years ago. I bought custom speedskate boots about ten years ago and haven't looked back since.

Hysbrian
01-13-2006, 09:39 PM
I met a friend in France this summer who had foot issues, I told him that he needed customs. He got them when he got home and all his problems were gone.
Jerk...you can cover the cost for my pair right?....

bcm119
01-14-2006, 12:36 AM
I thought I was the only one who cut holes in shoes. In college I had some Time equipes with holes for my freakish big toes. I only wore them in the summer.

Dr. Doofus
01-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Doof is still riding his 2002 R7s

best shoes ever

the pair that came in the mail last August isn't quite right, and doof is trying to get those guys to fix em but they don't seem to be in any hurry

they did do a great job of fixing the 2002 pair when the heel cup failed

yeah, if the shoes are off, you can shi'ite-can it

that's why doof will have to get 450.00 shoes to ride his 400.00 fuji cross (ok, so he got a deal...bite him) more than once a month...the stock shoe and insole experiment failed....

Climb01742
01-14-2006, 06:05 AM
senor, do they build you a footbed too? or could you use a footbed you already have? for me there are two parts: how the shoe fits and how a footbed supports/aligns your foot/ankle/knee/hip. thanks. and glad your tootsies are happy.

Dr. Doofus
01-14-2006, 06:30 AM
climbo

on the custom r7s, the footbed is built into the sole

sweet

jerk
01-14-2006, 07:21 AM
senor, do they build you a footbed too? or could you use a footbed you already have? for me there are two parts: how the shoe fits and how a footbed supports/aligns your foot/ankle/knee/hip. thanks. and glad your tootsies are happy.

mine have the custom footbed built in....they're perfect but i probably would have gone with gordon hay's footbed system aline.com and the non-custom rocket shoe had i known that was an option at the time of order.

in any case, well worth it.

jerk

1centaur
01-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Do you have a reason to believe Gordon Hay's footbed is better than R7's, and if so, why go R7 at all, except for the custom colors/stitching?

jerk
01-14-2006, 09:39 AM
i don't know if gordon's are better but they seem really nice. gordon gets feet in a way no one else does. the advantage of the rocket7 i in the large variety of widths and sizes available as well as the integrated heel cup. beyond this, the shoe has the best sole out there and is by far the lightest thing available.

jerk

Climb01742
01-14-2006, 12:05 PM
i've known gordon for a while, and he made me footbeds before his new mass-market aline variety. gordon knows feet. knowledgeable folks speak highly of gordo's new aline system. i saw it early on and it looked very promising. i have no experience with r7, so can't compare, but i'd give aline a look-see. gordo is the real deal plus just a cool, unique, passionate dude.

Climb01742
01-14-2006, 12:08 PM
i don't know if gordon's are better but they seem really nice. gordon gets feet in a way no one else does. the advantage of the rocket7 i in the large variety of widths and sizes available as well as the integrated heel cup. beyond this, the shoe has the best sole out there and is by far the lightest thing available.

jerk

senor, when we hook up for the xmas project bikes, maybe we can discuss r7. never quite found a dialed in shoe fit.

jerk
01-14-2006, 12:16 PM
senor, when we hook up for the xmas project bikes, maybe we can discuss r7. never quite found a dialed in shoe fit.

if the jerk went for all white, climb-0 pal needs to go for some orange, or maybe white and red to match a certain bike.

jerk

e-RICHIE
01-14-2006, 12:19 PM
mine are all red

Climb01742
01-14-2006, 12:21 PM
if the jerk went for all white

all white shoes, eh? so did your ban-lon slacks with the stretchy waistband come in too? :p

jerk
01-14-2006, 12:23 PM
mine are all red

good on you comrade.

ergott
01-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Jerk's wonderful thoughts about Rockets have my interest peaked. Now I need more money! All purchases are in a holding pattern right now. Gotta save up for another house. You think bike stuff is out of control! :crap:

jerk
01-14-2006, 12:44 PM
here's picture of the jerk's shoe.

ergott
01-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Holy ****e that is super!

Enjoy

Climb01742
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
ok, ok, i take back the ban-lon slacks wisecrack. those are trick.

BdaGhisallo
01-14-2006, 04:02 PM
So can we presume that Kwetsen means Jerk in flemish?

jerk
01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
So can we presume that Kwetsen means Jerk in flemish?

no, "het kwetsen" means "hurting" or "suffering", het kwesten is how the jerk pronounced it and it sort of became an inside joke among his former team mates.

jerk

Dr. Doofus
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
the doof's shoes are cooler

they're blue and silver

with "right" and "wrong" on the appropriate shoes

Too Tall
01-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Senor' thems nice rides.
My R 7's are just great. I also have LUST shoes from Bart Sheldrake who takes it up a notch or two. They are very different in design.
I echo your sentiment, the first time I rode in the LUST shoes was like a new way to pedal. Now I use the entire bottom side of my foot rather than a pinch point at the arch.

slowgoing
01-14-2006, 06:03 PM

After Labor Day? Tsk, tsk.

Serpico
01-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I saw some shoes on Velo News that you put in the microwave--whuttup wit dat?

edit- found it (from a link off parleecycles.com)

they're Lake shoes

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/8983.0.html

not sure about the shoes, but the 'Euro Pro' microwave looks sweet

Redturbo
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM

This works :rolleyes:

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/pic/2004/leisure/outfitentire_sm.jpg

pdxmech13
01-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Jerk
Had you ever done the foot casting before.
I've been interested for a while but can't
get the shop to carry them. I could be the
guinea pig but not sure if I really trust
myself with setting my foot in the mold.
Was it pretty easy or what. LUV DA SHOES BTW

jerk
01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Jerk
Had you ever done the foot casting before.
I've been interested for a while but can't
get the shop to carry them. I could be the
guinea pig but not sure if I really trust
myself with setting my foot in the mold.
Was it pretty easy or what. LUV DA SHOES BTW

yeah it was really easy. you'll need someone to help you out but as long as you follow the instructions it's really tough to screw up. thbe jerk did everyone's feet except his own....(fstrthnu had that awful task) and everyone is really happy.

jerk

Climb01742
01-16-2006, 05:51 AM
thbe jerk did everyone's feet except his own....(fstrthnu had that awful task) and everyone is really happy.

jerk

the image is a tad disturbing.

Kevin
01-16-2006, 05:54 AM
It is more than a tad disturbing. At least it wasn't Sandy who was doing the Jerk's feet.

Kevin

Dr. Doofus
01-16-2006, 08:09 AM
yo jerk

the foam is good

the foot tracing is also important

doof has two pairs of r7s

one is perfect

the other is going back to them for a while....

difference was that two different dudes did the foot tracings...

dean at r7 is a good guy

almost rivals the tall ugly fashion duce for quality service

bostondrunk
01-16-2006, 08:21 AM
that is mp bro, i.m.h.o. bro, mp
i.m.h.o.

Dr. Doofus
01-16-2006, 08:30 AM
yeah bd

jerk said in original post it was the foam

r7 hasn't done the plaster foot casting for a while

Chris
01-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Has anyone tried the Rocket 7 footbeds. Since they seem to be pushing their standard shoe (just my perception?) now, what would be the real difference other than weight if you just forked over the $250 to have custom footbeds made? I really need to do something for my foot problems, which I think are related to high arches, but I'm not sure if the foot problems warrant fully custom shoes. Wouldn't the footbeds have more longevity than the shoes anyway?

Dr. Doofus
01-16-2006, 08:39 AM
ok

footbed is good if your production shoes are fine in the toe box, length, heel cup, all that, and you have no problems with cleat placement

r7 footbeds are really, really good.

r7 shoes are better -- especially if like the doof you have a weird shaped foot (wide toe, narrow heel, long arch, really flat arch).

if you have foot problems, you know it. you probably wear orthopedic inserts in all your shoes. you probably get plantar fascinitis, achilles tendonitis, or knee problems if you try to do any kind of training for more than a days without inserts. you need custom shoes.

let your own history with your feet tell you.

hatin fools like BD give doof grief cause he rides a 700 frame wearing 500 shoes...doof says he put the money where it matters...which is why, yeah, now he's saving some money each month to get a custom pair of 'cross shoes, cause after one training ride he was hooked and he also walked like he was chinese foot bound for three days after because the shoe/insole solution he tried on the cheap didn't work...so hell rock a fuji with r7s on his feet...so what....

Too Tall
01-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Good call. Lake makes fantastic shoes and there is a common thread...pardon the cheap pun...to other customs. I REALLY like the moldable heel cup deal. Nice.

bostondrunk
01-16-2006, 10:18 PM
hatin fools like BD give doof grief cause he rides a 700 frame wearing 500 shoes...doof says he put the money where it matters...which is why, yeah, now he's saving some money each month to get a custom pair of 'cross shoes, cause after one training ride he was hooked and he also walked like he was chinese foot bound for three days after because the shoe/insole solution he tried on the cheap didn't work...so hell rock a fuji with r7s on his feet...so what....

<burp>. actually the drunk rides 7's too. They were made using the original custom mold method, where they send out the molding sock to you. Perfect fit. Too bad they don't offer that any more.

e-RICHIE
01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
<burp>. actually the drunk rides 7's too. They were made using the original custom mold method, where they send out the molding sock to you. Perfect fit. Too bad they don't offer that any more.

aha. i know you bd. that sock anecdote gave you away.
mine were made in the sock era and i'm outing myself
asyour chimeric twin - at least until your real one cops
to this.

πυροβοληθείς με εγώ είναι ακριβώς οι ευθυμίες αδελφών αγγελιοφόρων ποδηλάτων! imho. :beer:

shinomaster
01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one here with effed up feet. I'm still using the shimano carbon shoes that came with the Paramount I bought at International back in 1993....scary....but I can't get anything to feel better better..They are in threads...
I'm using specialized mountain bike shoes for cross and they are tolerable.
I guess I've needed custom shoes for as long as I have been riding 16 years now...The problem is that the ball of my foot is lower than it is supposed to be so I put all my weight on that one spot causing terrible pain. I have orthotics in my street shoes but they don't fit in bike shoes.
I think it must be time to bite the bullet and drop $500 on shoes. Are rockets the best? What about D2? Will custom shoes fix my problem?
Anyone want to buy some new eurus demo wheels to pay for my shoes?

Squint
01-16-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm still using Shimano R-210 shoes which are very worn out. No other shoes have worked for me.

One of these days I'm going to make an appointment to see Andy Pruitt and also to have foot molds done. Then I'll probably get Lust shoes. I'm local so I hopefully can see what I'm getting before paying the balance.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here with effed up feet. I'm still using the shimano carbon shoes that came with the Paramount I bought at International back in 1993....scary....but I can't get anything to feel better better..They are in threads...
I'm using specialized mountain bike shoes for cross and they are tolerable.
I guess I've needed custom shoes for as long as I have been riding 16 years now...The problem is that the ball of my foot is lower than it is supposed to be so I put all my weight on that one spot causing terrible pain. I have orthotics in my street shoes but they don't fit in bike shoes.
I think it must be time to bite the bullet and drop $500 on shoes. Are rockets the best? What about D2? Will custom shoes fix my problem?
Anyone want to buy some new eurus demo wheels to pay for my shoes?

shinomaster
01-16-2006, 11:21 PM
I love those shoes!...I'd give anything for a new pair....They had stainless steel woven in the the mesh! When they were new they looked like part of the cranks, as they were of such a shiny silver.

Too Tall
01-17-2006, 10:26 AM
BD and Twizzz, He will still accept the "sock" if you send it...and it's going to cost a little more because he'll have to pour a cast. I've done ours that way and for a few friends as well. The materials are avail. thru med. suppliers. I think the heel/achilles fit is super important and it is done better with the glass sock or a plaster cast. I've been teaching myself to do the plaster for a couple yrs. It is no so bad...just messy.

zeroking17
01-17-2006, 11:22 AM
no, "het kwetsen" means "hurting" or "suffering", het kwesten is how the jerk pronounced it and it sort of became an inside joke among his former team mates.

jerk

Actually, that's Flemish for the kvetcher. ;)

jerk
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Actually, that's Flemish for the kvetcher. ;)

ha!

jerk

woolly
01-21-2006, 05:18 PM
So last weekend we're milling about our LBS waiting for my wife's newly purchased road bike (her first) to be tweaked out. Too much idle time for me in the bike shop can be a bad, bad thing, and this instance was no different.

Right there on the shoe sale rack are boxes of Rocket7 shoes. Memories of this thread were fresh in my mind, so I wander over to see if this is for real. They're stock sizes, and they've got a "sticker price" of $360 a pair, but they're 50% off. FIFTY PERCENT!! That's a buck-eighty a pair, when they're retailing off the rocket7 website for $430 or so. How could I not just take a look? No harm in taking a peek, right? Wrong, way wrong. They may not have been custom made for my feet, but they felt better than any pair of cycling shoes I have ever tried on. Wow. I mean, Wow.

Now comes the dilemma. I don't really NEED new cycling shoes, my newest Sidi's are only a season old. And the bills from the holidays have arrived. Any we're already spending money on my wife's new road bike - a purchase that I'm happy to make, but not one we were really planning for. But they felt soooo good. And FIFTY PERCENT OFF, too!

So I did the perfectly rational thing - I bought two pair. :D
One pair road & one pair mountain, size 44.

Mounted some Speedplay X cleats to the road shoes & took them out for the first ride this afternoon - ahhhhhhhh. Feels like my whole foot is supported & transfering power. No tingles, no hotspots, no numb little toes. After a few miles they just disappeared - I forgot about them completely & enjoyed a nice ride. So far, it appears to have been money WELL spent.

woolly
01-21-2006, 05:21 PM
if the cleats fit, you can then commit.©™®

Yeah, what he said. Times ten.

nm87710
01-21-2006, 05:42 PM
wooly, RBM?? any chance you saw any B width shoes...usually this kind of rocket sale is leftover stock shoes that rocket forced retailers to buy if they wanted to be on the custom program. Usually all "D" widths

thx

woolly
01-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Don't know about that. In fact, I don't even remember the width on mine. I do know that they look just a bit different than the current ones on the rocket7 website (probably leftover models, hence the sale price).

I'd say there were 10-15 pair total on the sale rack, and was surprised that I found both road & mountain in my size. I think they just put them on sale very recently. This was at the main Richardson store - give 'em a call. www.bikemart.com. Good luck!