PDA

View Full Version : Tufo tubular opinion

BigDaddySmooth
01-13-2006, 01:27 PM
I've ridden Tufo's for a few years now and don't really have any issues w/them. Sure, the rubber is the same used in the production of hockey pucks so they are not the most supple but they seem to be pretty good bang for the buck tires. On another website, they are being demolished by the forumites. What do you guys think about Tufo's? :confused:
Cheers

sspielman
01-13-2006, 01:33 PM
To be as polite as possible, I think that TUFO tubulars suck. I place them firmly in the "why bother" category. On of the real advantages of tubulars is the lively feeling that they impart to the bike ....and that feeling is all but lost with TUFO's. (the same could be said for Continentals). If you really want to do tubulars, get a set of Veloflexes...or some other tire with a supple casing.

dirtdigger88
01-13-2006, 01:43 PM
but you can pump Tufos up to 220 psi. . . .

:crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

Jason

Big Dan
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
SS, now tell us how you really feel about Tufo's...... :p

I have 2 wheelsets with Tufo's and have no real problems. These are not racing wheelsets so a good tough tire is required.....

MartyE
01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I have a pair of Elite Roads that ride quite nicely, and are great
for the chip and seal around here (really more like rock and tar) .
Not the fastest nor most supple tubular I've been on but they
are bulletproof for crappy roads.

Marty

zeroking17
01-13-2006, 01:53 PM
One of the real advantages of tubulars is the lively feeling that they impart to the bike ....and that feeling is all but lost with TUFO's.

I've had the identical experience. They remind of those watch bands that "look like leather, wear like iron."

Argos
01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Are you really going to trust another Forum? :D

Here, have another glass of our wonderful berry flavored punch..... :)

Too Tall
01-13-2006, 02:10 PM
BDD - I think you should pat yourself on the back to find a product that works for you and call it a day. If you get curious about other tubulars "out there" the forum members are pretty deep in knowledge about tubulars so fire away. I tend to agree with previous post...to say they are not my best tubulars for ride and grip is fair...however it is also fair to say I've been trying to wear out a set of Elite road's for months!!! They are tough. Many of my teammates race the light TUFOs with excellent results. Because of the tubeless design their overall weight is darn impressive esp. in the racey versions...that seems to attract a following. I'm stuck on Veloflex when it comes to my best race wheelset and conti. sprinters are my "go to" tire for everything else eg training and hacking around.

Relax, you've got something that works. Enjoy.

Fixed
01-13-2006, 02:56 PM
bro they may be ok for t.t.s i.m.h.o. cheers

maryluke
01-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I had a set of Tufo Lites mounted to some zipp 404's and I thought the ride seemed rough, but I had them aired up to 170 psi so I could not tell if it was the tire or the pressure. What convinced me that it was the tufos is when I tried to ride them on my kreitler rollers and I could barely stay on the rollers, it was like they were out of alignment or not completely round. I thought I was just out of practice on my rollers so I changed those wheels out for my Kysriums mounted with Vittoria evo cx clinchers and I could not believe the difference on how smooth and easily the Vittorias rolled on my rollers, that did it for me, I decided then that I would stick with Vittorias.

Samster
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
I've tried the clincher tubs from TUFO. Nothing to write home about... except for the bill. Maybe their real sew ups are better.

Actually, one of my favorite "ride feel" experiences was on these tires called "Ultra Speed" by Vittoria. Really nice ride... crazy light for clinchers. The only problem is the great ride feeling only lasted for about 200 miles. The tire went "kablooey!" on something I never identified. It was pretty spectacular... I had to call my wife to come pick me up because the tire was blown and all I had was a spare tube... But those tires felt pretty good, I thought. I even bought another set, but never had the guts to try them again. What a waste of $.

That's one instance when I wish I had real tubulars.

--sam

Ken Lehner
01-16-2006, 07:40 AM
I've ridden Tufo's for a few years now and don't really have any issues w/them. Sure, the rubber is the same used in the production of hockey pucks so they are not the most supple but they seem to be pretty good bang for the buck tires. On another website, they are being demolished by the forumites. What do you guys think about Tufo's? :confused:
Cheers

Perhaps I spend time in the same fora you do, but it seems pretty clear that these tires are dogs in terms of rolling resistance. The many people who have done comparisons with other tires (using different protocols) uniformly report demonstrably poorer performance. If you durability, that's one thing. If you want high performance, stay away.

divve
01-16-2006, 12:18 PM
They're pretty bad for regular road riding conditions (that includes the comparison with good clinchers). No reason to buy them in Europe as they cost about the same a Veloflex tubulars (around 50 bucks).

MartyE
01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
The one benefit of Tufo Tubulars that alot of people are not mentioning
is that they are an easy introduction to tubulars for people afraid of the
horror stories. You know the ones about rolling tubulars and going down
like Beloki (who would have gone down on clinchers as well), or the
hassle of roadside repairs (and we know that's myth).
Most folks who start on Tufo's eventually find their way to real
tubulars.

marty