PDA

View Full Version : advice on this bike

sc53
01-13-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm considering bidding on
this bike (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7209994399) on ebay because my brother has one and loves it. I already have 2 steel bikes--CSI and DeRosa--but I'm bored and can't ride for a few months because I'm mending my broken arm. So whaddya think? Worth $600 or so w/Ultegra 9sp? Too similar a ride to my other 2 (my CSI is a custom for me 10 yrs ago)? Should I try for something in Ti or carbon instead?
--bored and restless

JohnS
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Too much money.

Sandy
01-13-2006, 11:11 AM
I would let it go for several reasons.

1. You have A CSi, a Derosa, a fixed gear and an Ottrott. Would you ever ride the bike? I doubt it.

2. He says that the bike has hardly been ridden. I doubt that. The component group has certainly received its share of miles, as he makes a point to say that the drivetrain was checked for wear and professionally tuned. In addition, the rims and tires (sidewalls) certainly show wear. Maybe the frame has hardly any miles but what about the rest of the bike?

Get some DVDs, listen to some music, walk your wonderful dogs, do some reading, do some puzzles, watch some tv, post on the forum, make me some tuna fish sandwiches,....

Pass on the bike.

Sandy

Sandy
01-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Much more importantly: How are you doing in your rehab?

Sandy

sc53
01-13-2006, 11:47 AM
thanks for the comments! yeah i had lunch and now i'm not so bored and restless. Still it's fun to browse and fantasize. Sandy, my arm is knitting back together and the doc is quite pleased w/my progress, thanks. Still not *supposed* to be driving though. I did a long walk/hike in Great Falls park last Sunday with my Lab Scallywag and a friend and it felt great to be outdoors again. This mild weather is killing me! so many perfect riding days--in January! I'm going to have to join your weight loss challenge as soon as I can move my arm around, though. Too much inactivity for me this month.

Rapid Tourist
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
All I can say is, SC53, I think you have it worse for bikes than me, and I have it pretty bad. Bike lust, that is.

I really hope you are feeling alright and well on the road to recovery!

Fixed
01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
bro I bet it goes up before the end i think it's cool though but I like a csi better but that 's just me .cheers :beer:

weisan
01-13-2006, 01:30 PM
sc-pal, you really want to know what I think? :D
Alright, I don't think you would be impressed by it. Wait for the next one.

Hope you feeling better.

sc53
01-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks, weisan-pal--I really want to find a $67 bike like you did over Christmas! And that one turned out so nice w/all the purloined "frankenparts." How did you ever get such a deal? I never see anything that much of a steal in my size (50 cm)--not that i need any more at all.
thanks for your good wishes :D --my arm is mending.

shaq-d
01-13-2006, 02:06 PM
ditto the above. too expensive. you can get real nice bikes for $6-700. this one is overpriced because of the ultegra/"dura ace" combo.

sd

JStonebarger
01-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Are you in a cast or splint? Driving a car? Be very careful about that: it may be illegal.

I don't know about VA, but in Massachusetts you won't be covered by your auto insurance while you're in a cast. And it's illegal to drive without insurance. Police who notice you driving with a cast on can impound your car. Try to minimize your driving, and maybe check into the state laws...

And get well soon.

Fixed
01-13-2006, 05:33 PM
bro 15 min and it's at $566

weisan
01-14-2006, 06:31 PM
How did you ever get such a deal?
Only once in a while. If you want, I can keep an eye out for you....but first you must know what you want and understand the market. ;)