PDA

View Full Version : knock the dirtball bike mess. out of the waty

Fixed
01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
bro I am doin my messenger gig today at the front desk and big law guy boss comes in knocks me out of the way i have to take it but hey I get to ride my bike . Most of those guys are nice every once in a while I meet a Pr##k .who thinks I'm a dirtball . the funny thing was I had a check for 10 grand for him cheers :beer:

Bud
01-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Nice way to thank you for delivering that check!

I like to believe that most people are good, but it only takes one a##hole to make me cynical about the world. Bursh it off, be cool, and as you said, you get to ride your bike.

pale scotsman
01-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Hey Fixed - The best thing you can do is smile and do the old, good morning how's it going sir, spiel on 'em. Either they turn 180 or end up looking like a total ****. Life's too short to let one jerk spoil your day. Ride on and be happy you're not a prick.

JohnS
01-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, you DID say he was a lawyer. :banana: (no offense to Kevin and others on this forum).

bluesea
01-13-2006, 09:55 AM
got places to go,
important people to meet,
better not get up,
or you might loose your seat

JasonF
01-13-2006, 10:12 AM
That stinks. I think I mentioned that I was once a messenger in D.C. and now I'm a (recovering) lawyer. Go figure.

Anyway, I remember NY Senator Alphonse D'Amato once literally pushed me out of an elevator in the Russell office building so that he could ride in privacy with a 'business associate'. It changed my political affiliation forever. You said it all, at least you get to ride your bike. This lawyer probably gets s&*t on all day by clients and then his fellow partners. Hell of a way to earn a buck.

Sandy
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM
bro I am doin my messenger gig today at the front desk and big law guy boss comes in knocks me out of the way i have to take it but hey I get to ride my bike . Most of those guys are nice every once in a while I meet a Pr##k .who thinks I'm a dirtball . the funny thing was I had a check for 10 grand for him cheers :beer:

Why do you have to take it? I wouldn't. You shouldn't either.

Sandy

JohnS
01-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Why do you have to take it? I wouldn't. You shoudn't either.

Sandy
Because he needs the job?!?!

coylifut
01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I was once asked "why do mean people live so long?" My reply, "they don't it only seems that way."

Separately, have you ever noticed that super-duper type AAA+ personalities tend to blow up their lives past age 50? It's like they grab and display more and more power until finally they do them selves in.

Sandy
01-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Because he needs the job?!?!

Why would he lose his job? One deserves respect while performing a job.

Sandy

coylifut
01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Why do you have to take it? I wouldn't. You shoudn't either.

Sandy

Sandy. I was watching a show with my wife once that dealt with the real estate markets in various parts of the world. They were talking to a man in Italy and he and his wife had lived with his widowed mother for 10 years. They now had enough money to buy a house with cash. Apparently, mortgages are not the norm where he lived. He was shown a property above his budget and the seller suggested he take out a mortgate for the difference. He thought for a second and said, "no - no mortgage." His reasoning was he thought that having a mortgage would make him so beholden that it might force him to compromise his principles to make the payment. From what I could garner, it would take away his power to say, "take this job and shove it." He was a hard working and somewhat ambitious chap, but you could tell he felt that having a mortgage would change his very soul.

Sandy
01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
I really don't think that anyone should have to compromise core principles. It is a most basic part of who he or she is.

I would have let the real dirtbag know that his actions were not acceptable, at least to me. I wouldn't have let it pass. Perhaps I would have reacted too quickly.

Sandy

JohnS
01-13-2006, 11:10 AM
In a business setting, who cares? Now if the man had screwed with his family or money, that's different.

iml
01-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm a law guy in one of those offices in one of those buildings, and I'm always a little wistful when I find myself in an elevator with a messenger. I can't complain, as I get to ride and race my bike plenty, but I always think the messenger and I have something in common, although I might be the only one who knows it. It's a nice moment.

Sandy
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
In a business setting, who cares? Now if the man had screwed with his family or money, that's different.

Your personal values care. That is why it bothered Fixed.

Me Again

weisan
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
fixed-pal, you know and I know there's always someone higher up and we will be called to account everything we did...shake the dust off your feet when you leave

sc53
01-13-2006, 11:55 AM
I used to be an associate attorney for one of those firms in one of those buildings and got pushed around (metaphorically) by those big self-important law bosses all the time. Am i ever glad i took the pay (and hours) cut 13 yrs ago to become a Fed and start enjoying my work and recreation. Fixed, hang in there, i think it's good for the soul to turn the other cheek (though i haven't always been able to do it myself). I think there's a lot of self-respect in being able to not stoop to the a#@hole's level.

Sandy
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
fixed-pal, you know and I know there's always someone higher up and we will be called to account everything we did...shake the dust off your feet when you leave

Plastic explosives would work a lot better and cause a lot more dust. :rolleyes: :)

Dusty Sandy

Sandy
01-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I used to be an associate attorney for one of those firms in one of those buildings and got pushed around (metaphorically) by those big self-important law bosses all the time. Am i ever glad i took the pay (and hours) cut 13 yrs ago to become a Fed and start enjoying my work and recreation. Fixed, hang in there, i think it's good for the soul to turn the other cheek (though i haven't always been able to do it myself). I think there's a lot of self-respect in being able to not stoop to the a#@hole's level.

Maybe, but it will leave the emotions inside, instead of ouside where they can dissipate. Besides, you are not stooping to his level. You are simply emphatically letting him or her know that his behavior will not be tolerated by you.

Sandman

davids
01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
The guy could learn a lot from you, bro. In my experience, you treat everyone with kindness and respect. It's a shame that so many people seem to have missed that fundamental moral lesson: "You shall love your neighbour as yourself" (Leviticus 19:18)

I'm blanking on the source, but some wise person also remarked that you can tell an awful lot about a person by how he treats those who are "beneath" him.

You've got this arrogant, empty suit's number. imho.

Take care.

davids
01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Morality and ethics are always in play. Always.

Sandy
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
The guy could learn a lot from you, bro. In my experience, you treat everyone with kindness and respect. It's a shame that so many people seem to have missed that fundamental moral lesson: "You shall love your neighbour as yourself" (Leviticus 19:18)

I'm blanking on the source, but some wise person also remarked that you can tell an awful lot about a person by how he treats those who are "beneath" him.

You've got this arrogant, empty suit's number. imho.

Take care.

You can also tell an awful lot about a person by how he treats his pets.

Bow Wow Sandy

Too Tall
01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Yo Fixed, plane fare to Fla is cheap. Wait til' they get a load of me. I can keep a straight face ;)

Fixed
01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
bro thanks I used to them tell ing or asking me to move over here or there I not used to being pushed or shoved I'm kind of funny I don't really liked to be touched except by my wife. bro I'm over it, live and learn I'll keep my distance when I go to that office again .cheers :beer:

spiderlake
01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I think you were watching House Hunters (International Edition) on HGTV. That show is a staple in our house. Wasn't the Italian guy married to an American woman? Very funny guy. The International version is especially interesting because of the differences in cultures and how land is sold. Most on the Int'l show don't want a mortgage. A lot of the property is long-term lease versus direct ownership. I also thought it was interesting that in France you have to get a full physical before getting a mortgage. Interesting!

Sandy. I was watching a show with my wife once that dealt with the real estate markets in various parts of the world. They were talking to a man in Italy and he and his wife had lived with his widowed mother for 10 years. They now had enough money to buy a house with cash. Apparently, mortgages are not the norm where he lived. He was shown a property above his budget and the seller suggested he take out a mortgate for the difference. He thought for a second and said, "no - no mortgage." His reasoning was he thought that having a mortgage would make him so beholden that it might force him to compromise his principles to make the payment. From what I could garner, it would take away his power to say, "take this job and shove it." He was a hard working and somewhat ambitious chap, but you could tell he felt that having a mortgage would change his very soul.

Serpico
01-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Fixed,

Bro, you did the right thing. I'm not saying you or anyone else should take sh|t from others, but you have to choose your battles--imho this one wasn't worth it.

Maybe he made an honest mistake, maybe he's an unhappy dude with a sh|tty life--don't let him affect you, keep on movin'--people like that aren't worth fretting over.

cheers :beer: compei

JohnS
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Fixed,

Bro, you did the right thing. I'm not saying you or anyone else should take sh|t from others, but you have to choose your battles--imho this one wasn't worth it.

Maybe he made an honest mistake, maybe he's an unhappy dude with a sh|tty life--don't let him affect you, keep on movin'--people like that aren't worth fretting over.

cheers :beer: compei
That's what I was trying to say, but you said it much better.