PDA

View Full Version : Legend?

jpw
10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
long shot, but does anyone have a recently built Legend with a level top tube 54.5 cm long?

if you do have one do you know what the build sheet has for the diameter of the top tube is at the head tube junction, and the diameter of the tube at the seat tube junction?

Ken Robb
10-24-2013, 01:10 PM
since custom build was included in the price of a Legend I wouldn't assume that tube sizes would be the same even on bikes of the same nominal size. OTOH maybe one of the former builders of them can tell you what you have.

jpw
10-24-2013, 01:20 PM
since custom build was included in the price of a Legend I wouldn't assume that tube sizes would be the same even on bikes of the same nominal size. OTOH maybe one of the former builders of them can tell you what you have.

thanks. i don't have. i'm working out by how many mm i would need to drop the seat tube length to make the underside of the top tube level rather than the top side level. if i know the two diameters i can make the calculation.

happycampyer
10-25-2013, 07:23 AM
I still agree with Ken that you are better off speaking to Scott H at Saratoga/Serotta about the tube dimensions, since they vary from bike to bike (both in the starting diameter of the tube and the extent of swaging/taper) depending on the build spec.

My recently built Legend (and the build sheet I presume) is still at Signature waiting to be built up, so I can check this weekend what the diameters of the toptube are. It has a 55.5cm toptube, and has a few degrees of slope. It was built for me, so the tubes aren't the gargantuan tubes for a larger rider.

I have Scott H's old Legend singlespeed, and it was built with bigger tubes because he likes super-stiff bikes (the seatstays look like torpedoes). The toptube is almost level, and is ~56cm. I did a rough measurement, and the toptube appears to be 35mm at the headtube, and tapers down to 30-31mm at the seat tube.

I'm curious now what the difference is in the toptube dimensions between the singlespeed and the custom Legend—I can tell just from having looked at them that the downtube, seatstays and chainstays are different sizes and have different amounts of swaging.

jpw
10-25-2013, 07:37 AM
I still agree with Ken that you are better off speaking to Scott H at Saratoga/Serotta about the tube dimensions, since they vary from bike to bike (both in the starting diameter of the tube and the extent of swaging/taper) depending on the build spec.

My recently built Legend (and the build sheet I presume) is still at Signature waiting to be built up, so I can check this weekend what the diameters of the toptube are. It has a 55.5cm toptube, and has a few degrees of slope. It was built for me, so the tubes aren't the gargantuan tubes for a larger rider.

I have Scott H's old Legend singlespeed, and it was built with bigger tubes because he likes super-stiff bikes (the seatstays look like torpedoes). The toptube is almost level, and is ~56cm. I did a rough measurement, and the toptube appears to be 35mm at the headtube, and tapers down to 30-31mm at the seat tube.

I'm curious now what the difference is in the toptube dimensions between the singlespeed and the custom Legend—I can tell just from having looked at them that the downtube, seatstays and chainstays are different sizes and have different amounts of swaging.

Thanks Bill.

I'm working to the assumption that the difference in the diameters will be approximately 5 mm or perhaps a little more. I'm having the unstiffest ride possible (and the 6.5 Serotta F3 fork). i'm trying to eke out a little more seat post exposure without disturbing the levelish line of the top tube. I don't want to drop the top tube too much, to avoid a taller than necessary steerer stack height. It's a fine balance between post exposure and steerer stack.

I've emailed Scott, but i think i'll give him a call later today. I need to close this out pronto :-) as i'm off on holiday next week.

Did you get and feedback about Di2/ EPS reliability? Thanks, Jason.

happycampyer
10-26-2013, 02:37 PM
So, it's hard to get an exact measurement, but the toptube looks to be ~32mm at the headtube and ~29mm at the seat tube. The tube is noticeably smaller than the one on the singlespeed, but the taper from front to back on both is hard to notice just by looking at it.

http://threadgill.smugmug.com/photos/i-SPDQZjM/0/L/i-SPDQZjM-L.jpg

Not sure if it will even be noticeable, but if you're going for a level toptube, I think you're better off keeping the toptube level along the centerline, so the taper is equal top and bottom. Otherwise, I would go with a couple of degrees of slope.

54ny77
10-26-2013, 02:51 PM
holy s&%! bill, that' thing is SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!

happycampyer
10-26-2013, 03:05 PM
holy s&%! bill, that' thing is SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!The end of an era. You should stop by the shop and check it out (if you're on the east coast?). Every tube is sculpted to perfection.

Oh, and this morning I rode the Passoni Top Force that's in the background. It's sacrilege that it has Sram on it, but otherwise it's pretty incredible. I wanted to ride it with wheels that I was familiar with, so to add to the sacrilege Justin put a Shimano freehub body on my Hyperons....

54ny77
10-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Legend: the other white bike meat. :hello:

jpw
10-28-2013, 02:57 PM
So, it's hard to get an exact measurement, but the toptube looks to be ~32mm at the headtube and ~29mm at the seat tube. The tube is noticeably smaller than the one on the singlespeed, but the taper from front to back on both is hard to notice just by looking at it.

http://threadgill.smugmug.com/photos/i-SPDQZjM/0/L/i-SPDQZjM-L.jpg

Not sure if it will even be noticeable, but if you're going for a level toptube, I think you're better off keeping the toptube level along the centerline, so the taper is equal top and bottom. Otherwise, I would go with a couple of degrees of slope.

Bill, yes i think using the centerline of the top tube as the level guide would be the way to go for a level look, and from what you've written the taper of the top tube is quite subtle, less than i thought from looking at pictures of other Legends in galleries here and there. Nevertheless, the centerline approach will still eke out a tiny fraction more of seat post exposure. I wouldn't want to slope any more than 1 degree. I'll be discussing it with Scott tomorrow and wrapping it all up..finally.

That's a really nice looking finish to the Legend in the shop window. I especially like the look of the polish 'decal' on matte chain stay. Very classy looking indeed. The whole thing oozes quality.

Where is that window? I have a brick :-)

Thanks, Jason.