PDA

View Full Version : In between frame sizes. Advice?

gregblow
10-24-2013, 07:28 AM
I have always rode a 54 with not much comfort. I have tried a 56 multiple times to no success. Should I try a 52?

I am 5'9" and saddle height is 72cm. Anyone have had similar experience and might offer some advice?

vav
10-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Did you check this proven and tried formula :p http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123332&highlight=stupid+top+tube

If you are 5'9, you need a 55.8 tt

weisan
10-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Greg-pal, I had the same "issue" in the past so I can sympathize with you. It took me a while to get straighten out with finally going custom. From then on, I never want to ride any other bikes except my Taylor. I am not saying that custom is the only way to go. But it might be worth investigating, could potentially save you time and money in the long-run, but more importantly, get to enjoy more fully every mile that you pedal. To me, that's priceless.

Or...hee..hee..a shameless plug, you might check out this bike that i am selling, it might you better than any other bike you currently have, shorter top tube...for folks with legs and less upper :)
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=138240

christian
10-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Gregg, there's just not enough info to even start here. But there are plenty of bikes offered in 1cm increments, so it should be possible to fit you on something in the 52-53-54-55 range, for sure. Based on your height and seat height, if set correctly, you appear to have basically normal human proportions, so there's nothing obvious which would tell us what's wrong.

So, tell us! What didn't you like about the 54? What were the seat height, set back, reach and drop? What about the 56?

Veloo
10-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Have you considered doing a Retul fitting?

https://www.retul.com/

19wisconsin64
10-24-2013, 07:49 AM
hi,

without a doubt, go get measured by a competent professional for your bicycle.

it takes some time, and quite a few measurements, and in the end you will find

that you will be much, much happier with your bicycle, and your riding.

it's a very small expense up front to save the huge expense of buying the

wrong bicycle, and the even larger expense of riding an ill-fitting bike!

good luck!

christian
10-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Oh good grief, he doesn't need a fitting YET. Let's find out his pubic bone height, his height, what his current fit is and what he doesn't like about it. Hell, maybe we get those numbers, plug in the answers from CONI chapter 5, tell him to go ride 200 miles and come back.

The advice you get on the internet might sometimes suck, but if you're willing to go at it methodically, fitting a bicycle yourself is generally not that difficult.

Suggesting a $300-400 fit when he hasn't even articulated what's wrong seems crazy.

"My moped makes a funny noise."
"Buy a BMW R1200GS Adventure!"

Nooch
10-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Oh good grief, he doesn't need a fitting YET. Let's find out his pubic bone height, his height, what his current fit is and what he doesn't like about it. Hell, maybe we get those numbers, plug in the answers from CONI chapter 5, tell him to go ride 200 miles and come back.

The advice you get on the internet might sometimes suck, but if you're willing to go at it methodically, fitting a bicycle yourself is generally not that difficult.

Suggesting a $300-400 fit when he hasn't even articulated what's wrong seems crazy.

It appears you've woken up on the snarky side of the bed today, Christian! (and I love it and agree wholeheartedly.) :) :banana::hello:

MattTuck
10-24-2013, 08:10 AM
What do you mean by not having comfort?

I know nothing about your fitness level.

But before an expensive fitting and/or diving into a new bike, it may be you that is the problem. I'd take up a core strengthening program similar to Alison Westfahl's Core Advantage book. Do that for a month and see if the comfort is still a problem.

Here are some videos of exercises in the book (not a complete listing of everything that is in the book, but perhaps enough to get you started).

Link. (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUMQ5KNNAMhQ9qcEN2UvINuPTPnq620ij)

FlashUNC
10-24-2013, 08:13 AM

+1. Though in defense of a good fitter with experience, most can eyeball you pretty close with where you need to be.

But agree, need more info on what you hate about riding a 54, the 56 and the differences between the two.

ultraman6970
10-24-2013, 08:16 AM
This is the way I see it because depending on brands im in the middle of sizes too.

IMO if you dont need a taller front tube then go with the smaller one. If you pick the larger one the issue is that sometimes are way too big than you imagine. If you need the taller top tube go for bigger size.

Hope this helps.

Lewis Moon
10-24-2013, 08:19 AM

HA!!!...and yes.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can make almost ANY bike fit comfortably, within a certain size range. That's why a lot opf bike companies make very few sizes any more. Given the plethora of stems, bars, cranks, seatposts and saddles you can get, getting in a comfortable position is attainable.
Remember, that position will change as your riding style/body evolves.

Caveat: comfort and overall handling do not always jive.

Chance
10-24-2013, 08:37 AM
HA!!!...and yes.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can make almost ANY bike fit comfortably, within a certain size range. That's why a lot opf bike companies make very few sizes any more. Given the plethora of stems, bars, cranks, seatposts and saddles you can get, getting in a comfortable position is attainable.
Remember, that position will change as your riding style/body evolves.

Caveat: comfort and overall handling do not always jive.

Agree. First determine needed contact points then decide which frame size is closest using average stem, post, etc....

jlwdm
10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
All 54s are not the same. As said before there is not enough information.

Jeff

gregblow
10-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Thanks guys. I went for the smaller size. I am a cat 2. Been fit numerous times. By all the systems. Also an elite triathlete. This will be my first try at downsizing my frame. Thanks again for your responses.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-26-2013, 06:27 AM

This.

And this,

"Caveat: comfort and overall handling do not always jive."

fuzzalow
10-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys. I went for the smaller size. I am a cat 2. Been fit numerous times. By all the systems. Also an elite triathlete. This will be my first try at downsizing my frame. Thanks again for your responses.

For a person at the height you've listed in your earlier post, going to a smaller frame size is a virtual surety that this is being done to allow for greater bar drop that comes with the shorter headtube. If you do not currently run your existing setup as slammed and with a -17 stem, then just be sure you are going to a smaller frame for the right reasons you think you need.

The fact that you have been fit numerous times and are still searching is a referendum on the fitters you have used. Your credentials as a cat2 & an elite tri are equally immaterial with regard to your situation on comfort, or lack thereof. Good luck with the smaller sized frame.

shovelhd
10-26-2013, 09:17 AM
I have raced with plenty of Cat2's that have lousy fitting bikes.

At 5'9" and 72cm, that tells me that either your saddle is too high, or you have long legs and a short torso. It's not just the head tube height but the seat tube angle, saddle fore-aft position, and compact or traditional geometry. Also, a tri/TT bike fit is completely different than a road bike fit. On the road bike you're not stretched out as much and there is less weight over the front wheel. Good luck with the 52, I hope it helps.

phcollard
10-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I have always rode a 54 with not much comfort. I have tried a 56 multiple times to no success. Should I try a 52?

I am 5'9" and saddle height is 72cm. Anyone have had similar experience and might offer some advice?

Exactly the same size and saddle height here.

I agree with other : more info needed. But FYI I ride a 55 TT with 6cm saddle to bar drop. I will _never_ever_ be able to ride a 52. Way too small (for me that is).

roydyates
10-26-2013, 10:15 AM

This changes everything. I think your comfort issue comes from riding too fast ... and suffering too much. :)

roydyates
10-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I have raced with plenty of Cat2's that have lousy fitting bikes.

At 5'9" and 72cm, that tells me that either your saddle is too high, or you have long legs and a short torso. It's not just the head tube height but the seat tube angle, saddle fore-aft position, and compact or traditional geometry. Also, a tri/TT bike fit is completely different than a road bike fit. On the road bike you're not stretched out as much and there is less weight over the front wheel. Good luck with the 52, I hope it helps.

Funny but I would have said the exact opposite: either Gregg is a long torso guy with short legs or his saddle is too low. :)

My data points are

1. My 5' 9.5" son who is a short torso long leg guy: he rides a 54-56 with a saddle height around 77.

2. My 5' 4.5" wife who rides a 50-51 with a saddle height of 71 and she is not long-legged.

e-RICHIE
10-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Height isn't a factor indicator when it comes to saddle height. Leg length and foot length are atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:
:cool:;);)
;):cool::cool:

AngryScientist
10-26-2013, 10:39 AM
also, mentioning a frame size (52, 54, 56, etc.) tells us virtually nothing about the bikes geometry, since many are measured so differently.

Marz
10-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Funny but I would have said the exact opposite: either Gregg is a long torso guy with short legs or his saddle is too low. :)

My data points are

1. My 5' 9.5" son who is a short torso long leg guy: he rides a 54-56 with a saddle height around 77.

2. My 5' 4.5" wife who rides a 50-51 with a saddle height of 71 and she is not long-legged.

Yep, I'm 170cm, 5' 7", and I ride 72cm, sometimes 72.5, short torso, long legs, very comfortable.

Mainly 52 ST X 53.5 TT, c-c. Have a 54 Fuso (52 ST) with large angle as Dave Moulton made it and works perfectly. Is OP's bike 54 measurement TT or ST? Needs to be very specific, no?