PDA

View Full Version : Any Cyclist / runners out there ?

Fixed
10-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I am adding a little running to the mix which can be a difficult addition for me since I just started riding again only a few weeks ago , not to mention the hilly terrain I now live in .. But I am starting easy with baby steps ,so here goes my third day out the door running it is all for fun , I may even do a road race if everything goes well .i used to be a decent runner placing in my age group in most of the races I entered , bay to breakers seems to calling me here :)
Just wondering how other cyclist balance their riding and running workouts without over doing it
Cheers :)

Cat3roadracer
10-23-2013, 09:05 AM
I run about 25 miles a week. I prefer to cycle, but it's dark now when I get home. Starting is the hardest part for me, the first 500 yards is very painful. Things then settle in and 3, 5, or 7 miles is enjoyable.

Not sure it does much for cycling, but it does keep one healthy.

thwart
10-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear you're doing better. I tend to ride a bit stronger on the bike when I mix in a bit of running. Once every 7-10 days seems to work for me when used as cross-training.

Tend to do more in the off-season, as it gets me outside, at a time when the cycling options are pretty much limited to the rollers...

GScot
10-23-2013, 09:15 AM
I run more frequently than I ride. I find that once I'm in shape to run even a short break from it makes for a couple of miserable runs getting back up to pace. I say I do it to keep the dog exercised but I have grown to enjoy it. I think running improved my climbing while standing and it is another way to suffer, which I enjoy.

bikemoore
10-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Cycling is no substitute for running and vice versa. They are so different and each beneficial in their own way. I try to do both regularly. Running is much better for intensity. I simply cannot sustain as high a heart rate cycling as I can running. Because cycling requires so much effort from what is essentially a single muscle group, those muscles fatigue before I've really hit my cardio limit. Running requires much more of a whole body effort without concentrating so much on a particular muscle group, so I can sustain a higher heart rate. Cycling is of course much better for longer periods of activity, far less joint stress, and more repeated efforts with recovery during the activity. The muscular requirements are also different enough from each other that no amount of cycling seems to make up for an interruption in running (and vice versa). And then there's weight lifting.......

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jghall
10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Add me to the mix. Typically run a couple times a week.

Typically increases in the winter time as it is dark when I get up, dark when I get home, and colder.

RFC
10-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Between the ages of 15 and 35, I ran 40,000 to 50,000 miles. That was enough for my knees and I switched to cycling and speed skating (five wheel skates).

I love cycling, but miss the simplicity and versatility of running.

oldguy00
10-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Yup, about 50km per week. I switched mainly to Triathlons a couple years ago. Running is a lot easier time-wise to get exercise vs biking.
I'm in better overall shape now than I ever was while just competing in cycling.
But running causes a lot of injuries. I had a good season, finally went sub-40 minutes for a 10km, but as of yesterday, I can barely walk due to a jammed cuboid bone (we think...).
So take it slow. :)

JAGI410
10-23-2013, 11:54 AM
I've never been a runner, but I really want to start. I can go ride a bike 100 miles with ease, but running 1 mile seems impossible. I'm just now starting, I hope get to a point where I can actually enjoy it!

Ti Designs
10-23-2013, 05:51 PM
I don't run, but if I did I would suck at it.

OtayBW
10-23-2013, 05:57 PM
I swam competitively as a kid and at the Masters level, so if I didn't hate running so much, I always figured I'd be a pretty good triathlon....wait.......

giverdada
10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
mmmmm running.

i love bikes more than i ride them, and i've almost entirely switched my training/fitness focus to running since june. my last ride over a hundred k was in august, and it was the only one all summer! ridiculous.

i agree with several previous posters in that neither sport substitutes (or even enhances) for the other, but they are great in combination/complement. the lack of impact, easy indoor access (via rollers/trainer), and miles/hours extension of bikes makes up for all the impact, outside running, and intensity of running. i am in the best running shape of my life right now (not really saying much, but it's a great place to be), and not too hot on a bike at all. i haven't been doing the balance thing between both practices, and it shows when i get on a bike. stand-up strength is great; everything else is painful to do and likely even worse to watch! i'm not all that old, but i know that i can't run back to back days, most of the time, otherwise my muscles get too tight and i risk shinsplints. compression sleeves help me a lot with this, right on the calves, and they're great for non-active days and recovery too. running can't be beat for a traveler's sport either - no S and S couplers on the shoes and shorts!

dustyrider
10-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Just started running. I like 5k but will add another mile or two every now and again. Started about a month ago 2 times a week, up to three days now. I just joined an ultimate frisbee team, so I may go back to two days. I can't justify any more time off the bike this time of year; the season is fleeting.
It's funny how different the disciplines are. I can put huge miles in on the bike, but around the 4k mark on my feet, and I feel like I've been TT for an hour! It's a fun, quick, and simple way to get the cardio high....if you're into that.

henrypretz
10-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I came to cycling from running after I blew my knee up 5 years ago ... playing baseball!! :rolleyes:
I still run 3 or 4 days/week. My knee won't really let me put together a sustained training plan, so I quit racing and just run to have time with my wife and for fitness. Every so often I'll stretch out a weekend run to 10 miles or so just to prove to myself that I can still do it.
I plan on never quitting.
p.s. when my knee exploded I was 16 weeks into an 18 week marathon training program, so my final running goal is to finish that one final marathon .... no matter what my pace .... maybe next year

mgm777
10-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I run and ride, but at my core, I am a passionate runner. It is the one consistent physical activity I have done since I was 10 years old (now 49). This time of year, I run 3-4 times a week. Compared to cycling, I love the simplicity of the sport, the zen of a long run (opportunity to pray and meditate), and around this time of year, it's warmer. If you are just starting out, don't do too much too soon. Build running fitness gradually.

plugkev
10-24-2013, 08:14 AM
More a runner/cyclist here too. I am a pretty competitive runner and have a strong aerobic base (Over 3k miles a year for the last 3 years). I ride my bike everywhere that I need to go, so most of my riding miles are commuting and errands. It is a vehicle for me, but makes getting places feel like recreation. I do get out for long rides occasionally. There is so much more beautiful country to go see on a ride than while running.

No doubt it is a different fitness.

Every year I do 6-8 CX races and 5-6 road races or crits and join a couple long group rides. The Mt. Tabor series in Portland is my favorite, partly because they have a fixed category. Despite being pretty fit physically and aerobically, any Cat 3 guy will drop me quickly on the road. In CX I can hang in a lot better, and beat some guys that would destroy me on the road.

As I get older and slower at running I will probably become more of a cyclist. I am looking forward to putting in more riding miles someday. There is something about getting way out of town on the bike that really appeals to me.

67-59
10-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Between the ages of 15 and 35, I ran 40,000 to 50,000 miles. That was enough for my knees and I switched to cycling and speed skating (five wheel skates).

I love cycling, but miss the simplicity and versatility of running.

Nearly the same for me. I was all running, all the time, from 15 to about 40. Marathons, half marathons, 20ks, whatever. For me, it was a back injury from too much pounding that caused my switch to cycling.

I have grown to love cycling as well (54,000 miles in 8 years on my Kirk!), but the convenience or running - pretty much anywhere and anytime you have your shoes - is something I'd do in a heartbeat if my back allowed it.

Fixed
10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
May I suggest a short yoga practice if you download Mark Whittwell
'S the promise ipromise at the app store $2.99 Well worth it (my teacher and one of the last students of the father of yoga Krishnamachayra ) it will help your back and general recovery pulse other benefits ..
I do this seven minute practice before I run or cycle I am a certified yoga teacher from Mark Whitwell , I also do a longer practice in the afternoon .but the seven minute practice is all you need to get the benefits of yoga if you do it everyday I promise you will see the difference in forty days .
I would be glad to teach this for free to anyone in the san francisco area .
Cheers :)