PDA

View Full Version : Outbid on two Serotta forks-I hate eBay

tv_vt
10-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Anybody here win either of the 40mm rake F3 forks on eBay lately. That was me you outbid in the last minute...

Darn.

saab2000
10-22-2013, 07:40 AM
If you really want something on eBay you have to put in a bid that is uncomfortably high sometimes.

I did not bid on these so I don't know the forks you mean but when there is a rare item that you really want you have to bid $100 or more above what you think it will go for and be prepared to pay that.

I've also learned this the hard way.

mnoble485
10-22-2013, 07:44 AM
If you really want something on eBay you have to put in a bid that is uncomfortably high sometimes.

I did not bid on these so I don't know the forks you mean but when there is a rare item that you really want you have to bid $100 or more above what you think it will go for and be prepared to pay that.

I've also learned this the hard way.

Or just bid what you are "comfortable" with and sit back. Did that recently and it worked. Previously, not so much.

Mike

pakora
10-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Yeah, since I've started buying more new stuff I can't even predict anymore.

Bid on some records way less than they "worth" but that I'd only want if they were cheap, find after the auction I was beat by $0.51 and not like, $35.

Bid on some e.g. Atac pedals expecting to pay $30 and hoping for $25, bid ends at $47. The next week bid on an identical but better condition item, get it for $14.99 with no other bidders.

David Tollefson
10-22-2013, 08:08 AM
I've used Phantombidder with good success -- never paid more than I want to, and can group the items so that it bids on each one in turn until I win one, then stops. Set it and forget it. And you only pay for the bids you win.

BumbleBeeDave
10-22-2013, 08:35 AM
. . . for years now. It's convenient, saves me money in the long run, prevents me sitting up at 3am waiting for auction end, and prevents me from getting emotionally attached and spending way too much money. Well worth the very small commission I pay for using it.

BBD

Saint Vitus
10-22-2013, 08:36 AM
I try to not be too passionate about the item, even if it is some grail item they're only bicycles after all.

As far as an F3, maybe consider a substitute unless you have some specific need for the exact thing (which of course you might...). I decided to go with an Ouzo Pro since I didn't think I would ever find an F1 in usable shape that wouldn't need to be painted.

Peter P.
10-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Here's what I did on eBay when I was in the hunt for a trainer:

I picked a "max" bid price.

I lost the auction.

Every time a similar trainer was up for auction, I increased my max bid by ten bucks. Sooner or later I had to hit. I was merely increasing my odds in each subsequent auction.

Eventually I did win, but not at my max bid.

You're likely just bidding too low, expecting too much for too little.

blessthismess
10-22-2013, 07:35 PM
If you aren't already....

Wait until the last few seconds to bid, or snipe. Don't show all your cards right from the start;)

choke
10-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Bid on some records way less than they "worth" but that I'd only want if they were cheap, find after the auction I was beat by $0.51 and not like, $35.That's because it only took 51¢ to beat your bid; they could have well bid $50 more but it only used what was needed.

regularguy412
10-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Sometimes it's actually good to go strong on the 'first' item (if there are multiples of the same thing being offered and the end dates are further in the future). I bid and won a pair of 2006 model Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. I paid $280.00 including shipping for the slightly used wheels. There were, as I recall, seven more sets up for bid at the same time and all were Used. EVERY other set went for a higher winning bid than what I paid. Maybe I got lucky. Or maybe not. I had already decided NOT to bid on the others if I had not won the set I eventually claimed.

Mike in AR:beer:

roydyates
10-23-2013, 12:24 AM
That's because it only took 51¢ to beat your bid; they could have well bid $50 more but it only used what was needed.

choke's point is key. ebay is effectively a second price auction. Auction theory says that a second price mechanism produces truthful (as opposed to lowball) bidding.

If you bid exactly what it's worth to you (that is the price that you are ambivalent about keeping your money or winning the item), then you never have to regret getting outbid nor do you have to worry about paying too much since you only pay a dollar more than the second highest bidder.

Louis
10-23-2013, 12:41 AM
. . . for years now. It's convenient, saves me money in the long run, prevents me sitting up at 3am waiting for auction end, and prevents me from getting emotionally attached and spending way too much money. Well worth the very small commission I pay for using it.

+1 E-snipe and forget about it.

dawgie
10-23-2013, 08:23 AM

BBD

This is the way to go. It took me a while to come around, but since using a Sniper I have won about 50% of the auctions that I bid on. I just choose the maximum price I am willing to pay, and then sit back and wait. You have to be willing to pay a fair price in most cases. If you are just looking for a bargain, you will lose most eBay auctions.

Saint Vitus
10-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Maybe your bike is this color???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-F1-Fork-NOS-Burgundy-Pinot-Noir-Threaded-/231079624228?pt=US_Forks&hash=item35cd6b3e24

oldguy00
10-23-2013, 12:02 PM
This is the way to go. It took me a while to come around, but since using a Sniper I have won about 50% of the auctions that I bid on. I just choose the maximum price I am willing to pay, and then sit back and wait. You have to be willing to pay a fair price in most cases. If you are just looking for a bargain, you will lose most eBay auctions.

Same experience here. I now use auctionsniper for anything I really want. Put in my max bid with about a 6 second to go bid time.

Pars
10-23-2013, 12:05 PM
^ Same at 15 seconds. I've noticed the last couple of years that to ensure winning something I need to really want it and go higher than I initially thought (doesn't happen very often). Best is to look for auctions with no bids and ideally no watchers. Items that are being bid on (even a single bid) seem to attract others. Items with 0 bids make many think something is wrong and they stay away. Perfect :cool:

Don49
10-23-2013, 12:09 PM
+1

I've been using eSnipe since their beginning. Just remember to keep your bid time tight, like 2s before closing. Anything longer is enough time for a lower bidder to respond to your snipe. I learned that the hard way.

I use eSnipe. . for years now. It's convenient, saves me money in the long run, prevents me sitting up at 3am waiting for auction end, and prevents me from getting emotionally attached and spending way too much money. Well worth the very small commission I pay for using it.

BBD