PDA

View Full Version : What's Best

rounder
10-21-2013, 09:35 PM
I was just wondering about everyone's choices in bikes now that the season is pretty much over and we will have to be subjugated to choices of best: tunes, maple syrup, and energy efficiency.

I am going with steel. Love my ti cross bike, but there is something timeless about steel and lugs. I was trying to fix a problem with a serotta nhx where the wheel was popping out of the dropouts. I bought a set of Campy skewers off of ebay. The things were beaded around the edges and looked beautiful. They will replace a set of Mavic skewers that were slipping in the rear triangle. Gonna fix the problem and ride it again.

What about carbon bikes. Do you ride them till they die. Ride them till you score enough points, ride them forever, etc.

Anyway, just wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Louis
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
I'll comment on what I don't think is best: all those "What's Best?" threads.

I very rarely bother to purchase what is absolutely the "best" and am happy to settle for the 98% solution, because that last 2% typically comes with a huge price premium. Furthermore, when we're in that rarefied best-of-the-best zone, what's absolutely the very best is usually a matter of taste, and not something that can be determined objectively.

I prefer to think of things in terms of "what's good enough to meet my requirements at a reasonable cost?"

OK, that's my best possible response to the OP's question. ;)

Ti Designs
10-21-2013, 09:56 PM
October is the best for me. In November training for next season starts, then comes winter training and base mileage. Don't get me wrong, I love riding, but the idea of starting in the cold, two hours before the sun comes up for months is hard to handle right now. Then comes intensity training and intervals - ouch. The summer is fun, but it's all over too soon. October is my month to get fat and out of shape. This morning I skipped any form of workout and had a pound of bacon. I love October...

rounder
10-21-2013, 10:11 PM
I'll comment on what I don't think is best: all those "What's Best?" threads.

I very rarely bother to purchase what is absolutely the "best" and am happy to settle for the 98% solution, because that last 2% typically comes with a huge price premium. Furthermore, when we're in that rarefied best-of-the-best zone, what's absolutely the very best is usually a matter of taste, and not something that can be determined objectively.

I prefer to think of things in terms of "what's good enough to meet my requirements at a reasonable cost?"

OK, that's my best possible response to the OP's question. ;)

In one of my classes in college we studied satisfysing or something like that. It was where good meets good enough. But we here are not just trying to come up with something that is satisfactory. So, when you go for it, what do you go for.

For me, I went for it with the Kelly lugged steel bike and the Kelly ti cross bike. Did not need either one, really. Sometimes you get more than you ask for. And also, you learn a lot about bikes along the way. It was worth it to me.

fogrider
10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
so, I think the question is: "what works best for you?" everyone is in a different place when it comes to work/school, family, etc. responsibilities...not to mention available funds. I have been on a few carbon frames and few ti, and couple of aluminum bikes. but my favs: scandium and steel. I think the key is a bike that is not a production bike but hand built by a builder...and it does matter who the builder is.

rounder
10-21-2013, 10:30 PM
so, I think the question is: "what works best for you?" everyone is in a different place when it comes to work/school, family, etc. responsibilities...not to mention available funds. I have been on a few carbon frames and few ti, and couple of aluminum bikes. but my favs: scandium and steel. I think the key is a bike that is not a production bike but hand built by a builder...and it does matter who the builder is.

Yeah. I agree with that. But, we all go for it. So. what do we all go for. For me...the bikes are all good and click fine. Meet up with friends. Not seen them for awhile. Play guitar (horrible that it is that it sounds). drink single malt liquor shots (for exploring) , life is good so far.