PDA

View Full Version : Clicking...clicking

Lewis Moon
10-21-2013, 08:05 AM
I thought I had the ubiquitous Ultra Tourque click. Had it on two different UT cranks and two sets of cups. I had the BB faced several times. It would go away for a bit if I pulled the crank and packed the BB with grease, but it would inevitably come back.
Then...I switched to a square taper crank to test out some 190 cranks...and it was still there. Same pedal position when the click happens and everything. Hands on the bars and riding no hands.
I have:
tightened/changed/greased pedals
moved the Campy carbon post up and down
changed my cleats
completely changed cranks and BB (twice)
had the BB faced/measured several times

eddief
10-21-2013, 08:08 AM
maybe

I thought I had the ubiquitous Ultra Tourque click. Had it on two different UT cranks and two sets of cups. I had the BB faced several times. It would go away for a bit if I pulled the crank and packed the BB with grease, but it would inevitably come back.
Then...I switched to a square taper crank to test out some 190 cranks...and it was still there. Same pedal position when the click happens and everything. Hands on the bars and riding no hands.
I have:
tightened/changed/greased pedals
moved the Campy carbon post up and down
changed my cleats
completely changed cranks and BB (twice)
had the BB faced/measured several times

AngryScientist
10-21-2013, 08:09 AM
crank arm not "kissing" the FD right?

how about wheelsets? a creaky spoke can act that way.

Lewis Moon
10-21-2013, 08:12 AM
crank arm not "kissing" the FD right?

how about wheelsets? a creaky spoke can act that way.

Probably not spokes. It happens on the down stroke of the left crank arm and doesn't happen when I coast. Also happens with two different sets of wheels.

AgilisMerlin
10-21-2013, 08:13 AM
pull the headset, i had this on a hidden set, and could not find the noise, so

and this is just a quess on your bike, different position on the bike created the noise - alu frame

drop bearing and washers and grease everything, tension headset again,

and unthread pedals 3/4 of the way and grease threads

loosen seat post bolt(s) and spray with wd40(or equiv.) reathread - and if noise goes away, pull bolts and regrease, also could be the rails on saddle where they hit shell, wd40 spray jobs helps this creak also, but eventual drips of triflow eliminates this (flite - new design - non tubular rails.

just some random thoughts, ti threads are notorious for this on b.b.

check stem bolts and grease

fork tips , alu, creak against alu. skewer bits also

check your frame for cracks.

just some thoughts

oh check rims around nipples, see if something is cracked or pulled

fun, is not it

Lewis Moon
10-21-2013, 08:23 AM
pull the headset, i had this on a hidden set, and could not find the noise, so

and this is just a quess on you bike, different position on the bike created the noise - alu frame

drop bearing and washers and grease everything, tension headset again,

and unthread pedals 3/4 of the way and grease threads

loosen seat post bolt(s) and spray with wd40(or equiv.) reathread - and if noise goes away, pull bolts and regrease, also could be the rails on saddle where they hit shell, wd40 spray jobs helps this creak also, but eventual drips of triflow eliminates this (flite - new design - non tubular rails.

just some random thoughts, ti threads are notorious for this on b.b.

check stem bolts and grease

fork tips , alu, creak against alu. skewer bits also

check your frame for cracks.

just some thoughts

I have a King headset but will check that.
I don't think it's the stem because it also happens riding hands off
I always put anti sieze compound on my pedals
Campy Skewers well tightened
steel frame
I'll pull the post and check the saddle tonite. I've done a cursory look for cracks but haven't seen anything that looks like one.
Why would the click go away for a bit when I breased the BB?

laupsi
10-21-2013, 08:35 AM
I have a King headset but will check that.
I don't think it's the stem because it also happens riding hands off
I always put anti sieze compound on my pedals
Campy Skewers well tightened
steel frame
I'll pull the post and check the saddle tonite. I've done a cursory look for cracks but haven't seen anything that looks like one.
Why would the click go away for a bit when I breased the BB?

how about a little grease at the springs on those campy skewers?

Lewis Moon
10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Let me just add: This is not a buzz kill for me. I've ridden with it for about 6 months now and have gotten used to it (mostly), and the bonus thing is: if I'm going at ~20mph plus, the wind drowns it out (mostly). If I'm on a hill, the sound of me horking my lungs up seems to drown it out too.

Perhaps I should think of it as a training aid....

druptight
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
It's not your right crank arm (top of that side stroke) hitting the protruding derailleur cable from the FD is it? I've had this happen before and drive me crazy until I finally figured out what the ticking noise was.

Sounds like it's in the right part of your stroke if it's when your left leg is down.

tele
10-21-2013, 08:55 AM
I had a creak I couldnt fix either and thought it was the drivetrain as well. Turns out I needed to grease the seatpost and saddle and all was well.

sashae
10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Does it occur when standing as well? I'd lean towards the saddle rails/saddle as well if not.

ultraman6970
10-21-2013, 08:58 AM
I was going to say the same thing about the cable.

Just in case, put some grease in the front quick release, the plastic pieces sometimes creak.

My second guess is the seatpost clamp or the saddle, back in the day more than once had to put oil in the bottom of the saddle to get clicks go away, sucks.

Good luck on this one...

phcollard
10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Does it occur when standing as well? I'd lean towards the saddle rails/saddle as well if not.

Please check this. Some time ago I had a clicking noise. I was absolutely 100% positive it was coming from the BB or pedals.

I followed some good advice received here and checked if clicking still happened while standing. Nope. So I checked the seatpost and clamp area, put a bit of grease, tighten to specs. Click gone!

HillDancer
10-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Left shoe. If it has plastic heal cup, plastic strap and buckle, plastic cleats; could be shoe creak.

R2D2
10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
FWIW I had a slightly loose water bottle mount bolt that clicked on the down stroke. Took forever to find. Hope you find it before you go insane.