PDA

View Full Version : any one thinking of buying one?

dsimon
01-12-2006, 10:57 AM
im seeing if any one is thinking of or has already bought the new Garmin 305? pros /cons? just interested :banana:

SoCalSteve
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/#

Ray
01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
That's a lot of money for a cycle computer, no matter how good. If I was going to go that route, I'd go for a full GPS unit that shows the maps on the screen and can tell you where to turn if you map the ride beforehand. And can help you get back from getting totally lost because the whole area's mapped. Overkill for day to day riding, but pretty cool for touring.

-Ray

billrick
01-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I'll be selling my Forerunner 301 later this spring (watch for it cheap in the classifieds!) to finance the purchase of the new Forerunner 305. I want to see if it has any bugs in the first release, but the specs look great. Major benefit looks to be the improved signal reception. Motion Based is showing prototypes tracking accurately under the redwoods in N. California. Lost signal under the trees was the major complaint people had about the 201/301 series. (But I really haven't had that problem yet.)

In just a few months of ownership, my Forerunner 301 has changed the way I ride and train for the better. I now track everything involving human-powered motion, including my cycling, mountain biking, running, and dog walking.

EDIT: here is the new Forerunner 305 . . .

LINK (http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner305/)

JohnS
01-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I now track everything involving human-powered motion, including my cycling, mountain biking, running, and dog walking.

Isn't that somewhat O/C?

billrick
01-12-2006, 01:24 PM
O/C? I'm tracking how many miles I put on my dog using GPS.

Uhh, yes!

I'm sure I'll get bored with it, but sometimes I just have to submit and revel in the weirdness.

:D

Tom
01-12-2006, 01:24 PM
... I now track everything involving human-powered motion ...

Take care of my light work, will you?

JohnS
01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Take care of my light work, will you?
GPS's aren't accurate to track a repetitive up and down motion of only several inches. :D

Larry D
01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
The Garmin Edges are very cool units. I saw them demoed at Interbike. Unfortunately they did not have any available to play with. The link with Motion Base is nice.

They are scheduled to be released this month.

I will most likely take the plunge and get one as soon as they become available.

vaxn8r
01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
im seeing if any one is thinking of or has already bought the new Garmin 305? pros /cons? just interested :banana:
I'd like to try one. Having so many diferent wheelsets and several differnet road bikes it would be nice to not worry about which magnet goes where on the spoke. Plus there's so many functions...all wireless. If you get one please report.

znfdl
01-12-2006, 03:59 PM
It looks like it would be a great product, but I do numerous rides that are longer than 10 hours of battery life. Guess I will run out buy one. I do have my eyes on a GPS if the Wife Unit let's me buy one......

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=1071

dave thompson
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM
You plan on getting lost on Oahu big guy?

dsimon
01-12-2006, 06:50 PM
duh no i just like the features with all that trainning stuff