PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the gravel grinder crowd...

mgm777
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
I am thinking of dual-purposing my HT 29er for some endurance dirt road rides and wondering if smaller tires 35-38 vs. 2.1 would be better suited for the intended application? I currently run 2.1 Small Block 8s, but feel that a smaller profile may be more efficient for for the gravel and dirt roads around here. Thoughts? Tire suggestions for this purpose? I am also considering adding some bar ends (Ergon) for additional hand positions.

Bruce K
10-20-2013, 01:32 PM
This will do better in GD than Classifieds

:rolleyes:

BK

mgm777
10-20-2013, 02:33 PM
This will do better in GD than Classifieds

:rolleyes:

BK

Thanks Bruce...my mistake.

Kzoo_cyclist
10-20-2013, 03:31 PM
I recently installed Specialized Renegade 29x1.8 tires on my hardtail for gravel "adventures". Tires weigh less than 500g each and roll very fast on pavement and gravel (dirt roads); however, they lack volume for all but the smoothest singletrack.

Dustin
10-20-2013, 03:37 PM
To my mind, looking for a fast rolling tire that is really supple is more important than skinny, and on a lot of fire roads around here at least, skinny is definitely not faster!

I sometimes put stans crow 29er tires on my hard tail for mixed surface adventures. Great on dirt & gravel roads, not bad on pavement, and acceptable on ST but not when it gets rough/loose.

josephr
10-21-2013, 03:06 PM
your small block 8s should be just find for hard dirt/gravel roads. I've seen several gravel riders on the 700c versions on CX bikes...completely get what you're asking, but in terms of 29er tires. not a lot of skinny options though.
Joe

rando
10-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Use lightweight 29" race tires with the knobs filed down in the center with a taper to full height on the sides. Or just use some old tires that are already worn down in the center.

Gummee
10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd say tire choice depends on your specific version of 'gravel.' I know around here (western DC suburbs) it all depends on time of year, whether the county has graded the roads recently, and how much rain/snow's been falling.

There're times when big road tires are all right.
There're times when small road tires are all right.
...then there's times when the county's come thru with the road grader and those 2.1s sound fantastic.

M

RFC
10-22-2013, 01:04 AM
your small block 8s should be just find for hard dirt/gravel roads. I've seen several gravel riders on the 700c versions on CX bikes...completely get what you're asking, but in terms of 29er tires. not a lot of skinny options though.
Joe

Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't 29ers take 700 CX tires?

pakora
10-22-2013, 07:33 AM
My buddy runs medium knobby Bontrager 1.75" 29er tires on his do-it-all bike for anything but big distance things (Battenkill, Iron Cross, etc).

They're heavy, but having ridden with him and seeing him fly through singletrack, babyheads, sand and mud like he's on a 29er with drops (since, like, he is) makes me jealous when I'm on my 32s.

Maybe overkill for your purposes, but if I could clear those tires on my bike, I'd do things like turn off the road and ride through a threshed field to see what's beyond the trees at the edge of it.

josephr
10-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't 29ers take 700 CX tires?

not that I've tried....was just saying that Kenda makes a 700x32c version of the SmallBlock8s to give context to his 29er application of SmallBlock8s and appropriateness of a gravel ride application.
Joe

Kirk007
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I've run Michelin Jets (32s) on my 29er but I don't think they made any real difference as compared to 2.1 WTB Vulcans (which appear to be no more but Schwabe and others make similar light weight racing tires). I like having the bigger tires ...

foon
10-22-2013, 04:21 PM
The rock n road tires that Bruce Gordon had panaracer make might be something you want to look into.

They're 700x40 tires with old school MTB tread pattern. Very cool.