PDA

View Full Version : MTB questions

maxn
10-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying a MTB for the occasional exploration of the trails around our apartment, which I am told are pretty stellar. I've been up a few of them on my now 15 year old Klein Pulse Pro and have pretty much gotten the crap beaten out of me. I love the scenery but don't love the feeling of constantly dealing with very little front travel and not very effective brakes. So I'm looking for something inexpensive to test the waters, i.e. nothing custom! Trails around here tend to be very, very steep and technical, so I'd like decent front travel, full sus and a dropper post (you end up climbing on the road most of the time). My LBS has a good deal on a Giant (I know, maybe not the best forum to ask about this!) Reign 2 (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/reign.2/11517/55879/), which seems well equipped for my needs. Any reason not to get this bike? I know the group set is not the best, and neither are the brakes, but don't know how much of an issue they would be in practice. Any recommendations for other things I should look at in the same range (~$2k)? Any advice would be appreciated!

sales guy
10-20-2013, 06:41 AM
This isn't a bad forum to ask things of mountain wise. I have more then one mountain bike, have raced and ridden mountain bikes since 1991 and worked for a pro team in the 90's.

As for your choice, that isn't a bad one. I don't mind Giant bikes at all. They make decent and packed full bikes.

The reign you mentioned, has decent parts and brakes. It's a SRAM and avid kit. Good stuff. But I do prefer Shimano and Shimano brakes. I think they have a better feel and are easier to service/set up.

The big thing with the reign is its a gravity bike. Heavier and a bunch of travel. I would suggest a more performance ride. Or even more of a trail ride. It'll be lighter, handle quicker and have a better component spec. Just my opinion.

If you feel a gravity bike is needed, go for it. You can always upgrade the reigns components as you go and they start wearing out.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Swap the brakes to XT hydros, best brakes, imo, to date. Worth every penny.

maxn
10-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys. I've heard that the Shimano brakes are a lot better, at least maintenance wise. I'll def. swap a set of XT brakes in if I pull the trigger.

vqdriver
10-20-2013, 04:43 PM
that's a good bike. unlike roadie stuff, the big boy brands are fairly well respected on the mtb side. there's so much more going on like suspension design, axle standards, frame design, that the big brands have a real advantage strictly due to volume.

giant has gone whole hog into 650b for the next model year, so you can expect to find good deals on their bikes. if you don't mind the weight penalty for the extra travel, the reign is a good find.

xjoex
10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
$2k is a good amount for a nice bike. It would be enough for a great hard tail or a mid level FS bike.

I am a big fan of specialized bikes, but they all are nice these days!

Have fun, dirt is great!

jh_on_the_cape
10-20-2013, 09:18 PM
If you think you are going to upgrade stuff, go with the reign 1, with shimano SLX stuff.
If you are a roadie, that's a bike for someone who likes the downhill, but will pedal up if necessary.
In Grenoble you are so close to the alps and from my experiences near there... people tend to get something like the reign and start the day with a gondola ride up and go up and down but with a net downhill.
If you are more likely to pedal up from the valley and mix in some pave or dirt roads with the chunky singletrack, I would lean towards the anthem for XC or the Trance is something in between.

maxn
10-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks again guys! I don't think they have any of those other models on sale at the moment, unfortunately. It's an end of season thing. Is the big disadvantage to the Reign 2 the weight? Because I'm not that bothered by it. I will definitely be riding up things without mechanical assistance though.

I see fewer 26" in new model lineups: mostly 650b and 29er. Do you think getting replacement parts will be an issue?

In the short term, the only thing I think I would upgrade would be the brakes

Dave B
10-21-2013, 07:58 AM
if you want the 6 inches of travel you might look into a full susser 29er. I have always felt the 29er FS bikes felt like they had more travel. The reign is a cool bike. It is pretty beefy, so can take quite a bit of punishment, especially as you are learning the bike.

Specialized with a brain shock are great trail bikes, but I understand your getting a deal situation too. I have had a few giants in the day and loved them. Beat the snot out of the bike and upgrade parts as you want.

If you do have a decent budget, you will get more out of a used mtnbike. Giants are darn good bikes though.

Best of luck.

Matt-H
10-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Do you think getting replacement parts will be an issue?

This won't be an issue. Giant puts out a very good value mtb. If you aren't concerned about weight (which really isn't that big of a deal at all), the Reign will have you descending with a smile.

jh_on_the_cape
10-21-2013, 08:37 AM
all bikes were 26 until recently. no prob on parts.
reign 1 vs 2 is like 105 vs ultegra. it will all work fine, just some more weight and less adjustability and some other details.

Thanks again guys! I don't think they have any of those other models on sale at the moment, unfortunately. It's an end of season thing. Is the big disadvantage to the Reign 2 the weight? Because I'm not that bothered by it. I will definitely be riding up things without mechanical assistance though.

I see fewer 26" in new model lineups: mostly 650b and 29er. Do you think getting replacement parts will be an issue?

In the short term, the only thing I think I would upgrade would be the brakes

maxn
10-21-2013, 10:40 AM
thanks again guys! Super helpful