PDA

View Full Version : Eddy Merckx Titane or MX Leader?

weehastogopee
10-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Hey everyone,

How do you guys think this bike:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/4134288421.html

compares to the MX Leader?

Thanks!

ultraman6970
10-19-2013, 06:41 PM
If its there for more than a week is because the italian BB scare the hell out people :)

Nice stuff but why says litespeed and built in belgium? litespeed built stuff in belgium?

sales guy
10-19-2013, 06:44 PM
That's what always made me laugh. Guys who are like its a Merckx. And I was always like, it's a litespeed, Got into a fight with a club rider once. He defended his Litespeed like a champ tho.

thirdgenbird
10-19-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't care who made it. Nice material, nice paint, nice headset, it looks like it is in great condition, and the seller isn't asking a crazy price.

ultraman6970
10-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Dont care that much about that either but is weird at least in that EM, LS is an american company but the frame says made in belgium, so where was made then?

Kirk007
10-19-2013, 07:19 PM
My understanding back in the day was that Eddy spec'd the geometry etc. but Lightspeed built the bikes.

thirdgenbird
10-19-2013, 07:22 PM
It it possible EM brought the welding back in house but still bought tubes from litespeed? I think tommasini did something similar. Some if their ti frames were litespeed made, but later ones are described as welded in house.

bobswire
10-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Very good price. I just scored this Strada today. http://i44.tinypic.com/2sbpu8w.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/2rntxkl.jpg

cachagua
10-19-2013, 07:52 PM
How's the ti ride, anyone know? I got a Corsa Extra last summer and I love the ride, but I wonder how the material would behave given Merckx's geometry.

Come to that -- how's a Strada ride? Are the tubes meaningfully different from SLX? (Incidentally, that one's gorgeous, congratulations!)

texbike
10-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Eddy Merckx Titane or MX Leader?

Hey everyone,

How do you guys think this bike:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/4134288421.html

compares to the MX Leader?

Thanks!

One is widely respected. One is not.

However, that seems like a nice price on the Titane and it looks great with the Team Gan paint. While it may not have the chops and street cred of the MXL, I'm sure that it would be a nice riding and unique bike.

Cheers,

Texbike

4Rings6Stars
10-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Fwiw, I liked my litespeed built AX better than my MXL (same size, geo and very similar campy 10 builds).

texbike
10-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Fwiw, I liked my litespeed built AX better than my MXL (same size, geo and very similar campy 10 builds).

Interesting... What size were they and what did you like more about the AX?

Most negative reviews on the Merckx Ti bikes seem to center around their lack of stiffness and having a bit of a muddy, dead feel to them.

Texbike

sales guy
10-19-2013, 08:19 PM
All of the Merckx ti frames were made by litespeed in Tennessee. They built them using Merckx geometry. But unless they were being stocked in Belgium, they never touched them in merckxland.

4Rings6Stars
10-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Interesting... What size were they and what did you like more about the AX?

Most negative reviews on the Merckx Ti bikes seem to center around their lack of stiffness and having a bit of a muddy, dead feel to them.

Texbike

Both size 53 (54.2 TT). I weigh about 165 and don't put out a ton of power. The mxl is a lovely bike, don't get me wrong, but perhaps a little stiffer than I require for the riding I like to do. The AX also had an upgraded full carbon ouzo pro fork and modern cockpit vs original mxl steel fork and quill stem. I can't really put my finger on it, but I always reached for the AX. I never found it too flexy but the small frame size and my weak legs could explain that...

thirdgenbird
10-19-2013, 08:36 PM
All of the Merckx ti frames were made by litespeed in Tennessee. They built them using Merckx geometry. But unless they were being stocked in Belgium, they never touched them in merckxland.

That's always what I thought, but I didn't realize they had the misleading decals. Regardless, I would still ride it.

sales guy
10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
That's why I got into it with a guy once. I never liked the guy, he was always a dick. Eventually, became friendly with him. But I rolled up to the start of the ride and said nice litespeed. He's like its a Merckx. I was like no, it's a litespeed made in Tennessee FOR Merckx. And he got all pissy. Stupid they had them labeled as Belgium.

weehastogopee
10-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm debating whether or not I should get a new merckx, and if I do not sure if I should get that titane or the mxl....... sigh..

The guy selling the Titane said that merckx got the tubes from litespeed and built it in house in Belgium.

bobswire
10-20-2013, 06:35 AM
I'd be very wary of that Titane. Found this listing from 2004 that was using the same photos of the one you linked. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/168750/merckx-titanium

ultraman6970
10-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Probably is the same guy??

This i dont know but in steel the team bikes had the number thingy in the top tube, seen some carbon with the same thing glued to the frame but never seen a single titanium with a number peg installed, at the same time 1st time I see a EM gan in titanium too. Either way it is an interesting bike.

texbike
10-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Probably is the same guy??

This i dont know but in steel the team bikes had the number thingy in the top tube, seen some carbon with the same thing glued to the frame but never seen a single titanium with a number peg installed, at the same time 1st time I see a EM gan in titanium too. Either way it is an interesting bike.

There's a guy here in town that has one of Chris Boardman's old GAN team bikes. It's Ti and has the hanger.

Texbike

ultraman6970
10-20-2013, 08:04 AM
That bike wont leave his hands ever hehe

CPP
10-20-2013, 09:14 AM
I think you are comparing apples and oranges

donevwil
10-20-2013, 12:25 PM
I think you are comparing apples and oranges

This is it in a nutshell.

Everyone I know who's had or ridden an MXL loves them, They may be (are) heavy and may be too stiff for smaller riders, but no one denies the special ride. I've known some who love Merckx Ti's and some who disliked, more of a love/hate bike.

If you're really deciding between the two wait for an MXL, IMO. Will probably be 2-3 lbs heavier, however.

weehastogopee
10-20-2013, 04:24 PM
I think I'll be doing that..........

MX Leader has always been a bike I've dreamed of having. haha :)

Grant McLean
10-20-2013, 04:40 PM

They were certainly welded in Tennessee.

The forks came from Merckx, and they were painted in Belgium,
the geometry and tube selection was by Eddy, so i guess it depends
on what "made" means.

-g

Black Dog
10-20-2013, 10:39 PM
That's why I got into it with a guy once. I never liked the guy, he was always a dick. Eventually, became friendly with him. But I rolled up to the start of the ride and said nice litespeed. He's like its a Merckx. I was like no, it's a litespeed made in Tennessee FOR Merckx. And he got all pissy. Stupid they had them labeled as Belgium.

Ah, It was a Merckx made by Litespeed not the other way around. They were not simply rebranding Litespeeds.

KidWok
10-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Very good price. I just scored this Strada today. http://i44.tinypic.com/2sbpu8w.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/2rntxkl.jpg

Nice...Looks sharp!

Tai

henry14
10-21-2013, 02:30 AM
Check out #17. Could that Titane be built in Belgium and the other AX, EX frames by Litespeed?

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/tarmac-sl3-eddy-merckx-titanium-ax-25463.html

sales guy
10-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Personally, I would be VERY wary of what the poster of #17 says. Long story. But you can do a search for the name and find out about it. Ave he didn't work for litespeed but real design the wheel end of things.

From what I was told by Mark L at litespeed and everyone I've ever talked to, litespeed made the Merckx titanium frames and they shipped them for painting. Merckx designed them, litespeed built them. Unless Mr Lynskey fibbed to me, which I don't believe he would, I would continue to say designed by Merckx built by litespeed.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Personally, I would be VERY wary of what the poster of #17 says. Long story. But you can do a search for the name and find out about it. Ave he didn't work for litespeed but real design the wheel end of things.

From what I was told by Mark L at litespeed and everyone I've ever talked to, litespeed made the Merckx titanium frames and they shipped them for painting. Merckx designed them, litespeed built them. Unless Mr Lynskey fibbed to me, which I don't believe he would, I would continue to say designed by Merckx built by litespeed.

All the titanio Merckx were made on Ootawah TN, the decal was made in Belgium, but not the frame.

Get the MXLeader....

ultraman6970
10-21-2013, 07:25 AM
the decal was made in Belgium <==???

Interesting way to see stuff... yes its made in Belgium, but the sticker not the frame :D

sales guy
10-21-2013, 08:19 AM
the decal was made in Belgium <==???

Interesting way to see stuff... yes its made in Belgium, but the sticker not the frame :D

What it comes down to is the amount of time/labor/cost associated with the job they're doing. If painting and finish work is a certain percentage of the overall cost, a company can claim made in that country. Raleigh famously did it in the USA back in the 90's. Tons of others do it too. My bet is this was the case with this frame.

ultraman6970
10-21-2013, 09:00 AM
A frame can take like less than a day with jigs and stuff... paint job can take a week.

henry14
10-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Does Merckx in his factory mean they made ti frames before Litespeed?:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApaHwSixklA

2:28

This frame shows a Columbus Hyperion sticker.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/720429-How-to-build-up-this-Eddy-Merckx-titanium-frame