PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Time VXRS or Seven Axiom or neither?

kbrown
10-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Seriously looking at this 2009 Time in Calif. and a 2007 Seven Axiom in Boston, but I am in Canada.Had bike shops look them over and they said they are really clean,basically in next to new condition.I know that you are taking a risk buying a bike remotely but I just wanted some input from forum members.Any stories about buying a bike from a remote location would also be welcome,horror stories or otherwise

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331042744682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/4122719662.html

Daveyk
10-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Not the Seven because I had been considering that one for myself.:)

If it is a bike you want to grow old with then titanium may be better.

FlashUNC
10-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Time every day and twice on Sunday. Stunning bikes.

#campyuserftw
10-19-2013, 09:58 AM
If the Seven had the Campy from the TIME...

avalonracing
10-19-2013, 10:00 AM
It depends on your intended use. Both would make great racing bikes but if you are looking for a bike that will take use and abuse for the next 20-200 years, get the Seven.

bobswire
10-19-2013, 10:00 AM
No contest, Seven. Just figure out a way to get them to exchange components.

Daveyk
10-19-2013, 10:02 AM
If you are asking a about remote purchasing, I have done it four times and each was a very positive experience. There is added risk and each seller and situation is different. If may not be for you and local or LBS is always a good option.

dgauthier
10-19-2013, 10:07 AM
I like the size description for the Time bike:

"(. . .) 69.85cm from top of seat rails to center of BB. The cassette is 12-25. 67.6 seat mast to center of BB. 73.9 top of saddle to center of BB. (. . .)"

What a maroon. How do you spend $6,000 on a bike and not know what size it is?

+1 on the Seven.

RedRider
10-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Buy both.
The Time will be lighter and if set up right a more "nimble" handling bike. This would be the more lively of the 2. Time makes top quality frames.
The Seven would offer the great Ti ride, durability, and all the good things a top builder offers.
As far as eBay and Craigslist... buyer beware. You could have a great experience or Armageddon.

old fat man
10-19-2013, 11:47 AM
No way that seven weighs 14 lbs. Maybe 17 at best. I'd take the time. My 3 ti sevens all stunk compared to my time and my steel bikes.

sent from tapatalk

mcteague
10-19-2013, 12:02 PM
No way that seven weighs 14 lbs. Maybe 17 at best. I'd take the time. My 3 ti sevens all stunk compared to my time and my steel bikes.

sent from tapatalk

That's what I was going to say. 14lbs? No way. I have a Seven Axiom and a 622 SLX so you know which I would suggest.

Tim

bargainguy
10-19-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with the Seven - $2400 wouldn't even buy a ti frame from them IIRC.

Agree with others, the Time seller not knowing the bike's size is just odd - what else might be going on here?

Keith A
10-19-2013, 12:20 PM
The one concern I'd have with the Seven is that they are all custom and they have their ride tuning. So if you wanted to pursue the Seven, I would certainly want to find out who this was designed for (mainly weight) and what riding characteristics they wanted.

kbrown
10-19-2013, 12:40 PM

"(. . .) 69.85cm from top of seat rails to center of BB. The cassette is 12-25. 67.6 seat mast to center of BB. 73.9 top of saddle to center of BB. (. . .)"

+1 on the Seven.

It took me forever to describe what measurements I wanted and exactly where they were.

kramnnim
10-19-2013, 01:42 PM
What's wrong with the way the seller listed the Time's measurements? It has a seat mast...

wildboar
10-19-2013, 03:02 PM

What about the sentence right before the measurements where he says it's a Medium...

The rest of the measurements are exactly what you need to understand where the mast was cut.

sparky33
10-19-2013, 04:04 PM
The one concern I'd have with the Seven is that they are all custom and they have their ride tuning. So if you wanted to pursue the Seven, I would certainly want to find out who this was designed for (mainly weight) and what riding characteristics they wanted.

Exactly. The ride of a Seven will vary according to spec.

Great bikes.

sales guy
10-19-2013, 04:19 PM
I have all 4 frame materials, I have to say my Time frames are easily some of the nicest rides. Well above the ti frames I have and have owned. My daily ride is a time vxrs. Size XL. Campy record 11 with shamal two way fits. LoVE the ride.

bheight1
10-19-2013, 04:28 PM
The Time is custom too, if the seatmast was cut too short.

kgreene10
10-19-2013, 11:43 PM
These two are completely different bikes. Get the ti if you want a plush club rider. I have one with couplers. Get the Time if you want the best carbon race bike, possibly ever. I've had a couple of them. Wondrful machines.

dgauthier
10-20-2013, 09:22 AM

+1 on the Seven.

It took me forever to describe what measurements I wanted and exactly where they were.

Yes, I am the maroon. My apologies.

avalonracing
10-20-2013, 09:37 AM
My 3 ti sevens all stunk compared to my time and my steel bikes.

Wow, that's a new one...

Maybe they were all built and "ride tuned" for someone else?

old fat man
10-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Nope, all built for me. Ti dies not excite me. Boring ride characteristics. Like driving a ford taurus or honda accord. Reliable, sure, but boring.

sent from tapatalk

avalonracing
10-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Nope, all built for me. Ti dies not excite me. Boring ride characteristics. Like driving a ford taurus or honda accord. Reliable, sure, but boring.

Could it be something as simple as a steeper HTA or fork rake than is making your other bikes seem more "exciting"?

My Merlin Taurus and Seven Accord rock.

It is interesting that a company like Seven "ride tunes" the build to ride they way that people request but Time makes the same build for everyone and it seems to work out of the box for everyone.

mcteague
10-20-2013, 01:49 PM

sent from tapatalk

Wow, you had 3 Ti bikes made for you and you find the material boring! Points for perseverance. I don't see how a material can be boring. Design or fit may not be to your liking but how can the material be boring?

Tim

old fat man
10-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Kind of hard to show up at the office with the competition's name on your bike. I tried to like them, but ti just feels blah to me.

sent from tapatalk

wallymann
10-20-2013, 08:28 PM
...in situations with heavy side-winds. when coupled with mid-profile aero rims it was a handful. aside from that very narrow situation, it was a magical bike.

since a fair portion of my riding includes spring classics-like weather with plenty of stiff side-winds, i sold the VXRS -- i stick with my C40 in flandrian weather conditions and C50 in more benign weather.

LegendRider
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
...in situations with heavy side-winds. when coupled with mid-profile aero rims it was a handful. aside from that very narrow situation, it was a magical bike.

since a fair portion of my riding includes spring classics-like weather with plenty of stiff side-winds, i sold the VXRS -- i stick with my C40 in flandrian weather conditions and C50 in more benign weather.

Interesting that you say that. I bought a VXRS a few months ago and just last week I rode it for the first time with deep section carbon tubulars. It was twitchy on descents and in the wind. I much prefer the more planted feel of using low-profile, alloy clinchers.

FlashUNC
10-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Interesting that you say that. I bought a VXRS a few months ago and just last week I rode it for the first time with deep section carbon tubulars. It was twitchy on descents and in the wind. I much prefer the more planted feel of using low-profile, alloy clinchers.

I wonder how much was the wheels vs. the bike as a whole. Never run into this with my VXR, though it has either HED C2 or Ambrosio Nemesis wheels. Nothing deep and aero.

Keith A
10-21-2013, 12:33 PM
... Never run into this with my VXR, though it has either HED C2 or Ambrosio Nemesis wheels. Nothing deep and aero.Ditto for me on my VXR.

sales guy
10-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Ditto for me on my VXR.

Same here. Never an issue with deep wheels. I claim operator error. Lol

LegendRider
10-21-2013, 01:16 PM
I generally ride the Time with Hed Belgiums laced to DA 7900 hubs (24/28). It feels a little quicker than my C50 with the same wheels. The lightweight, deep section tubulars feel great going uphill and crusing along the flats when there isn't a considerable wind, but descending at 40mph+ with some cross wind is a little unnerving.