PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Jerk

saab2000
03-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Hi Jerk!

Have you received and had a chance to check out the drawing I sent you?

Thanks

jerk
03-07-2004, 07:54 PM
hey saab-

yeah i have....that thing looks like it will be great....it's actually a fairly conventional design and that's a good thing....i trust you are going to use a 140mm stem? i actually put all the measurements in my funny bike cad thing i like to play with and tweaked a couple things here and there to get a feel for the design and i kept falling back to what carl proposed....he seems to get the front end thing...which is good because most builders don't....it's especially important on big bikes....lots of builders don't account for the long front centers and what that does to bicycles....de rosa always built good big guy bikes...steeping the head tube adjusting the rake and tucking the front wheel b ack a bit....anyway there are a few of people who know a ton more about this shiit than the jerk and hopefully you found one...

jerk

saab2000
03-07-2004, 08:16 PM
I figured it was good and yes, I have had some others glance at it, so I intend to make the order tomorrow.

It will be a steel bike with a steel fork. Yeah, I know it is a bit old fashioned to get a steel fork these days, but it is all I have ever had and I just couldn't really care less about a few ounces of extra weight.

Thanks for looking!

By the way, I am planning on a 13 stem to start out with, but may end up with a 14. I was once measured by a fitting guru here in the US and he wanted me on a 60 cm tt with a 13, so the 59 with a 13 may be too short, especially with my Modolo carbon bars which are a bit short reached.

I will let you know how the carbon bars are. They were purchased largely because they look like the closest approximation of our favorite bars, the Cinelli 65s.

The picture attached has a 60 cm top tube with a 13 Cinelli stem and a 65-40 bar. It is the best winter bike ever and fits well to boot.

Needs Help
03-07-2004, 09:03 PM
You call that a big bike??!! That thing wouldn't come up to my knees. :)

e-RICHIE
03-07-2004, 09:10 PM
get wider h'bars.

e-RICHIE

ps

:cool: :cool: :cool:

saab2000
03-07-2004, 09:12 PM
...perspective. I like longish bikes in the top tube but not too tall. I am 6'00'' tall and normally ride a 58 or 59 cm c-t. This one measures about 59 c-t, but has a standover of about 84.5 cm - enough to be potentially dangerous if I fell on the top tube. I like a standover of about 83 cm. But the top tube length is great.

I have been training on this bike for about 5 days now and to tell the truth, here in Minneapolis where there are just some gentle undulations and no real hills I have not yet missed the other 19 gears I have on my other bikes. I am getting a great workout on this with just a 42x16 with a BMX freewheel.

Single speeds rock!! :banana:

saab2000
03-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by e-RICHIE
get wider h'bars.

e-RICHIE

ps

I would have, but these bars, combined with the stem cost just $10. Normally I would ride a 42 but the price was right for the winter bike. :D