PDA

View Full Version : OT the original cross country

rwsaunders
10-17-2013, 07:42 PM
The last big high school cross country invitational of the season and the last race for some of the seniors (mine included) had emotions running high. Temps in the low 40's mixed with heavy rain, muddy conditions and a hilly course made for an eventful day to say the least.

You really have to appreciate the mental and physical toughness displayed by these kids when they compete on a day like today. I heard no complaints; quite the opposite actually; they were pumped and there was excitement in the air. Last minute stretching, strip off the warm ups, fire up with the school cheer then dig deep into the pain cave. It doesn't get much better.

rwsaunders
10-17-2013, 07:42 PM
The charge of the Light Brigade.

rwsaunders
10-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Pace car...

rwsaunders
10-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Slop...

rwsaunders
10-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Heartbreak Hill.

rwsaunders
10-17-2013, 07:48 PM
A sport that truly knows no gender boundaries.

cuwinbs
10-17-2013, 08:31 PM
great pics!! i ran cc back in high school and loved it,im hoping one of my girls will do the same.

charliedid
10-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Awesome

giverdada
10-17-2013, 09:57 PM
totally great.

although she's more of a diesel than a miler, our 8-year-old loves to run and often has turnarounds in her very mood after a morning cross country practice. beautiful stuff. she happily runs 5k in the rain, cruising past all of us old adults, smile as wide as the sky, looking like a horse on the plains.

xc running is pure, and i love that kids get to do it. just run fast. figure out who you are one sloppy step at a time. thanks for this reminder - looks like an awesome day for it!

n.

cachagua
10-18-2013, 12:37 AM
I loved, loved, LOVED cross-country in high school. I don't think bike riding would have made sense to me if I hadn't had that background. In addition, my cross-country coach taught me the importance of stretching as injury prevention, and if I hadn't gotten that training I'd probably be in a wheelchair by now.

What a giant field, though! State championships didn't even look like that when I was a kid. (1970s, Georgia.) If lots more kids are doing it now, though, then good on 'em.

tmf
10-18-2013, 05:08 AM
I also ran CC in high school and loved those rainy, messy, muddy days. I got super psyched up because I figured some of my competitors would be worried about it. My best races were in the worst conditions. And 30 years later, that same spirit of being a little crazy is what still helps me get up and out the door on my bike at 4am, and throw on the rain gear and get in a ride when it's crappy out. Thanks for the pictures and good memories!

Dale Alan
10-18-2013, 06:40 AM
That is great. It's a tough sport,but very rewarding . My twin nephews run it,I make it to a couple races every fall . Amazing how all the runners get along,you don't see that in many sports these days .