PDA

View Full Version : Mini V's - anyone used Promax?

druptight
10-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Was looking for a set of Mini V's. Mini motos are definitely out of my price range. Was considering the TRP's but they're still $100+ compared to $40 for Tektro RX5. Trying to find what else was out there, I stumbled upon Promax which seems to split the difference between the two price wise, and is closer to TRP style wise. Anyone have any experience with these specific brakes or other Promax stuff recently:

http://www.promaxcomponents.com/products/p1brakes/

It appears they're going through somewhat of a re-branding looking at their website.

In just nine short months, CGI and Promax have combined to design and develop more than 35 brand new products, including beautifully sculpted mountain bike, road and BMX stems; innovative BMX and mountain bike brakes and the new V-Point Click brake lever, which elegantly allows the user to use one lever on either the right or left side and also includes an integrated lock-on grip mount.

New to Promax are several product categories never before offered under the brand name. These include headsets, bottom brackets and cranksets.

Moving forward, Promax and CGI plan to further capitalize on their strengths. We are already working on the next generation of Promax components and the list of exciting new products includes those for mountain biking, cyclocross and road.

Thiel
10-18-2013, 12:06 AM
I have the trps. I put them on for d2r2. Great brakes and probably saved me from a crash that day.

Vinci
10-18-2013, 08:47 AM
I have the TRP CX9's and while they work well enough, they feel really squishy with my Tektro road levers. The 8.4's might be better in the regard, but I wouldn't be able to clear my fenders with the shorter arms.

I've heard nothing buy good things about the shorter Tektro BMX V's, though. I suspect that you might not get much more than better styling with the Promax over the cheapie Tektros.

Hank Scorpio
10-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I have used the 926AL in the past and currently the Trp 8.4's. There is no difference in feel. Just go with the 926's and get better pads and an adjustable noodle and you will be fine.

druptight
10-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Think I'm pulling the trigger on the Tektro RX5's. It looks like my center of boss to top of fender measurement is about 75mm, so I should be able to clear the fenders with the 85mm tektros. If not, they'll be up for sale soon. It sounds like the 85's should be the right combo for my older ultegra levers. Here's to hoping it all comes together and ends my fork shudder/rear squealing issues.