PDA

View Full Version : EPS grommet

jpw
10-17-2013, 03:25 AM
will two connectors fit through one EPS grommet to hold two wires in place side by side?

oldpotatoe
10-17-2013, 07:08 AM
will two connectors fit through one EPS grommet to hold two wires in place side by side?

maybe. I think if you can get the thing in the hole with the 2 wires...

jpw
10-17-2013, 07:42 AM
maybe. I think if you can get the thing in the hole with the 2 wires...

i was wondering if a second connector would squeeze through the EPS grommet hole with the wire of the first connector already routed through the hole. i think 'squeeze' is the word to use here.

i want to try and get away with the minimum number of holes (EPS diameter holes) drilled in my new frame. i've thought about having an internal seat tube/ post battery (EPS or Di2), with an RD hole and an FD hole drilled in the frame, but using the FD hole for the FD wire and the same hole for the wire that will go up the outside of the down tube to the stem 'box' thingie (no hole can be drilled in the down tube). this arrangement would, i think, require the down tube EPS wire to be spliced as its connector will probably not fit through the FD hole (EPS) with the FD wire already routed through there (the EPS wires look quite thick).

with this arrangement of two EPS holes i'm wondering if the slimmer Ultegra Di2 connector for the down tube wire would fit through the EPS FD hole with the FD wire already in there? this would obviate the need for a further EPS hole under the bb shell for the down tube wire routing.

for internal EPS it still leaves the issue of the charging port hole, which the frame builder will not drill. i'm thinking of doing a Calfee style seat post drilling, or just using a circlip to hold the charging connector inside the seat post (pull seat post out with charging wire attached and charge).

I would prefer Athena EPs to Ultegra Di2, but the Ultegra does have some attractive features - slimmer connectors, charging from the stem junction box (no additional charging wire/ port hole required), and the looks of the derailleurs have improved somewhat,...BUT Athena brifters have more intuitively positioned gear changing levers imho, and the whole group looks more stylish (subjective opinion of course).

i think i will have EPS sized holes and then the frame could work for either connector size. seems flexibly sensible...to moi. Di2 sized holes are too small (i think) for EPS connectors.

i'm so glad SRAM doesn't have an offering to confuse. it is a pity though that Mavic put up the white flag long ago on gearing groups. i had a soft spot for Mav.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2013, 07:59 AM
i was wondering if a second connector would squeeze through the grommet hole with the wire of the first connector already routed through the hole. i think 'squeeze' is the word to use here.

i want to try and get away with the minimum number of holes (EPS diameter holes) drilled in my new frame. i've thought about having an internal seat tube/ post battery (EPS or Di2), with an RD hole and an FD hole drilled in the frame, but using the FD hole for the FD wire and the same hole for the wire that will go up the outside of the down tube to the stem 'box' thingie (no hole can be drilled in the down tube). this arrangement would, i think, require the down tube wire to be spliced as its connector will probably not fit through the FD hole with the FD wire already routed through there (the EPS wires look quite thick).

with this arrangement of two EPS holes i'm wondering if the slimmer Ultegra Di2 connector for the down tube would fit through the EPS FD hole with the FD wire already in there? this would obviate the need for a further EPS hole under the bb shell for the down tube wire routing.

for internal EPS it still leaves the issue of the charging port hole, which the frame builder will not drill. i'm thinking of doing a Calfee style seat post drilling, or just using a circlip to hold the charging connector inside the seat post (pull seat post out with charging wire attached and charge).

I would prefer Athena EPs to Ultegra Di2, but the Ultegra does have some attractive features - slimmer connectors, charging from the stem junction box (no additional charging wire/ port hole required), and the looks of the derailleurs have improved somewhat,...BUT Athena brifters have more intuitively positioned gear changing levers imho, and the whole group looks mores stylish (subjective opinion of course).

i think i will have EPS sized holes and then the frame could work for either connector size. seems flexibly sensible...to moi. Di2 sized holes are too small (i think) for EPS connectors.

i'm so glad SRAM doesn't have an offering to confuse. it is a pity though that Mavic put up the white flag long ago on gearing groups. i had a soft spot for Mav.

Why not have a hole/slot in the bottom/aft of the BB shell(like Colnago and Moots for under downtube battery), for the FD and interface AND V2 charge port, wires. Gonna have some outside of frame wires anyway..slot in BB, FD wire snakes outta BB underside, up to FD, interface wire under downtube to interface and charge port sticking outta BB slot, cover with cover use when ya need it.

No splicing type stuff needed.

Gotta ask 'why not?' to the frame builder...done many times on a variety of frames. Or a hole in the headtube, like Colnago does. Thicker tube. Moots does a charge port just aft of the downtube Bottle bosses..holes there anyway.

nicrump
10-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Specifically campy EPS? with a 7mmx8mm hole, no way you are passing a second connector if the first wire is already there. the connectors are a tight squeeze as is.

eTube(Di2) in a 7x8 hole? absolutely.