PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy on Helmet

stackie
01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
OK,

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but what are the effects of epoxy on a bicycle helmet, both foam and the plastic shell?

I ask because I am unsatisfied with the mount of my Light and Motion headlight to the helmet. The helmet mount does not have a quick release to remove light for storage and ride home. I know this is petty, but I don't have room in my locker for helmet, and I'm not about to leave the light on helmet hanging on hook in locker room. Also, I'd rather not have the light and its fixed cord on my helmet on the ride home. It is somewhat cumbersome to remove the headlight from the helmet. So, I'd like to attach the handlebar mount to my helmet, since it has a quick release function. I am proposing to cut away the band of the handlebar mount and glue it onto the helmet. Ideally, I would wedge it into a vent and glue it. But, that puts epoxy on foam. A less ideal (read less secure) option would be to epoxy it to the plastic shell, but I worry that it may not be secure enough and may fall off. If this happened, Murphy's law would dictate that it would fall into the front wheel, entangle in the spokes, and result in a most spectacular crash.

So, what's the consensus on this? Anyone have a better idea?

If you guys don't like this idea, I was also thinking of drilling holes into my handlebar near the stem attachment to save weight. Good idea? OK, I'm not serious about this one, but say this to to further self deprecate after the first query.

Jon

Bud
01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't know what epoxy will do to the plastic of the helmet skin, but it seems like it would probably melt the foam.

Can you try using cable ties to cinch the mount down on the top of the helmet? Is there a way to loop them through a pair of vent holes and through the mount? That way you could easily remove it later (cut the ties or release if you use the fancy ones). Just a thought.