PDA

View Full Version : Shimano braking question

FastforaSlowGuy
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
A question on mixing-and-matching brakes into Shimano systems.

The talking heads of cycling tech say that using non-Shimano brakes with Shimano shift/brake levers is a no-no, because Shimano has designed their levers for a higher-leverage brake and lower-leverage brakes (Sram, Campy, etc.) won't have full power when you really crank on the brake levers. Conversely, I've heard that using Shimano brakes with other levers results in brakes that are too grabby. I think this issue is specific to Shimano generations that put the cables under the tape (i.e., post-7800).

I've tried the latter and had zero problems, but I'd rather be wrong in the direction of too much braking force than not enough. I am moving to Shimano 11 speed piecemeal, and wanted to carry over my Sram Force brakes for the moment. They aren't world class braking, for sure, but if I can hold off buying new brakes that would be great. Has anyone played around with this?

cinema
10-16-2013, 11:41 PM
It will all be fine. The lever moves when you pull it, moving the brake cable with it. Then your bike stops. Voila!

I am using 11s levers with very cheap cantilever brakes... don't tell anyone.

Louis
10-16-2013, 11:58 PM
It will all be fine. The lever moves when you pull it, moving the brake cable with it. Then your bike stops. Voila!

I agree. It all comes down to your ability to modulate force and displacement with your hands. If you have even the slightest ability to do this you should be able to compensate for difference between the systems.

Remember that the manufacturers want to scare you into buying only their stuff, and as much of it as possible. So many stories of non-compatibility are bunk.

Ken Robb
10-17-2013, 12:03 AM
atmo campy ergo levers with Shimano dual pivots is a wonderful combination. Two release levers/buttons=double clearance-more or less.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2013, 07:11 AM
A question on mixing-and-matching brakes into Shimano systems.

The talking heads of cycling tech say that using non-Shimano brakes with Shimano shift/brake levers is a no-no, because Shimano has designed their levers for a higher-leverage brake and lower-leverage brakes (Sram, Campy, etc.) won't have full power when you really crank on the brake levers. Conversely, I've heard that using Shimano brakes with other levers results in brakes that are too grabby. I think this issue is specific to Shimano generations that put the cables under the tape (i.e., post-7800).

I've tried the latter and had zero problems, but I'd rather be wrong in the direction of too much braking force than not enough. I am moving to Shimano 11 speed piecemeal, and wanted to carry over my Sram Force brakes for the moment. They aren't world class braking, for sure, but if I can hold off buying new brakes that would be great. Has anyone played around with this?

The whole brake compatibility gig for road calipers is vastly overplayed. I had a gent with 9000 brakes with 7900 levers yesterday and they worked fine.

DP calipers are pretty simple beasts, as are the levers that pull the cable.

rice rocket
10-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Unless dimensions of calipers and levers are vastly different (like on the order of cm, not mm), then you might feel a difference. Given that most levers/calipers are of similar size and design, their leverage ratios are pretty darn close.

( now who's gonna measure everything to be the naysayer? )

bobswire
10-17-2013, 09:03 AM
atmo campy ergo levers with Shimano dual pivots is a wonderful combination. Two release levers/buttons=double clearance-more or less.

This!