PDA

View Full Version : Oldest active cyclist on the forum?

kbrown
10-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Since I am new here and relatively old(53),I am wondering who is the oldest active cyclist on the forum but I'm not sure how to define "active". A minimum number of hours on the bike per week or mileage per week? Number of bathroom stops per ride? I'm open to suggestions

Louis
10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
For the purposes of this question I'd define "active" as something like a total of 2 to 4 hrs per week or more ride time, assuming decent weather.

Edit: BTW, everyone here knows that Dave Thompson is the oldest guy on the forum. ;)

FlashUNC
10-16-2013, 07:43 PM
My spirit is old.

christian
10-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Jeebus, you're a baby around here. We have plenty of 70+ members. I'm 37. Can somebody hand me an ear towel?

Louis
10-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Jeebus, you're a baby around here.

Agreed. No way in the world is 53 anywhere close to being old.

(especially since I'm 51)

kbrown
10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
I should also ask who is riding the oldest bike which should be funny because you guys probably trade frames about as often as you get haircuts

Germany_chris
10-16-2013, 07:51 PM
This is going to be a neck to neck race by more than a few members.

Fixed?

Ralph
10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm 72 and riding at least 6500 miles this year. And I'm not even close to being oldest active rider.

vav
10-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Charles "cnighbor"

christian
10-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Charles would likely win the posts multiplied by age category, but is he the oldest, not sure.

vav
10-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Charles would likely win the posts multiplied by age category, but is he the oldest, not sure.

Ha ha..this made me laugh :)

vav
10-16-2013, 08:04 PM
I think he mentioned he is around 78-80 though

dave thompson
10-16-2013, 08:05 PM
For the purposes of this question I'd define "active" as something like a total of 2 to 4 hrs per week or more ride time, assuming decent weather.

Edit: BTW, everyone here knows that Dave Thompson is the oldest guy on the forum. ;)

No I'm not, but damn close.

Louis
10-16-2013, 08:07 PM
So, anyone in his / her (unlikely) 80's? That would be awesome. :banana::banana::banana:

buddybikes
10-16-2013, 08:12 PM
56 but feel 70 after my knee surgery, already getting soft

Tim Porter
10-16-2013, 08:20 PM
61 in 28 days, but who's counting? Tim

rccardr
10-16-2013, 08:22 PM
62 and hardly the oldest forum active member. 5K miles each year.

Chief
10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
75 and will be 76 in Feb. Currently at over 5,000 miles, looking for 6,500 by the end of the year.

Louis
10-16-2013, 08:39 PM
A question for the retirees:

With the benefit of hindsight, do you think you retired at the correct time, or do you regret not baling out sooner?

A good buddy of mine a work retired this month, after resisting it for ages. But now that the decision's been made he wishes he'd done it a long time ago.

eddief
10-16-2013, 09:00 PM
If you can afford it and have other stuff you wanna do, then go for it.

I like my part time virtual career counseling work and may do it for quite a while. Concerned I might outlive my current assets. No one in my fam has lived to 80. I'm inputting 90 into my calculator.

Now 62.8333.

rnhood
10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
I retired at 62 (about 6 months ago) and still don't feel totally comfortable, since I worked so many years. I believe 62 is the earliest a person should go, after all working is a primary way many contribute to society. I will likely get a part time job this fall or do volunteer work.

As far as riding, I currently log about 250 miles on average each week - the weather permitting. Two of these are recovery days, two are training days that can be tough, and then the main weekend rides - some of which are events that I travel to. On off days I swim for approximately one hour.

christian
10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Hey Eddief, I don't know why, but I always assumed you were in your late twenties or early thirties.

eddief
10-16-2013, 09:10 PM
sometimes I allow myself to still act like a dork :).

Hey Eddief, I don't know why, but I always assumed you were in your late twenties or early thirties.

thegunner
10-16-2013, 09:10 PM

I saw berkeley and immediately thought college. that might be why :-/

texbike
10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
75 and will be 76 in Feb. Currently at over 5,000 miles, looking for 6,500 by the end of the year.

Chief, that is fantastic!!! Glad you're putting in those kind of miles (I'm envious). My guess for oldest was Ralph or Charles (no disrespect for either - just based off of their past comments). Our regular ride group has a couple of 60 year olds that easily hold their own. I also see an 89 year old English gentlemen out on his bike quite regularly on one of our usual routes.

Keep on truckin'!

Texbike

MattTuck
10-16-2013, 09:28 PM
based on my grandfather who is 84, and though he doesn't ride, is very active and still uses a chainsaw, I think the more amazing thing is that these members are able to use the internet at their age ;)

texbike
10-16-2013, 09:31 PM
I think the more amazing thing is that these members are able to use the internet at their age ;)

ROBOTS! Not all of our elders are into Matlock and the 4:30 Dinner Special at Luby's. ;)

Texbike

velomateo
10-16-2013, 09:57 PM
and still uses a chainsaw ;)

Haha. From now on, that's going to be my standard for elderly activity.

kbrown
10-16-2013, 10:26 PM
There's movie potential or at least a Monty Python skit based on that premise.Just finished reading "The 100 Year Old Man That Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared".Very funny and intelligently written

CSTRider
10-16-2013, 10:42 PM
I should also ask who is riding the oldest bike which should be funny because you guys probably trade frames about as often as you get haircuts

Here's my oldest ride ... a boneshaker circa 1865.

Anyone have a hobby horse?

Louis
10-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Here's my oldest ride ... a boneshaker circa 1865.

Have you ever ridden it, or is it purely for decoration?

Scooper
10-16-2013, 10:54 PM
I retired ten years ago at 61 and think the timing was right. My dad died of cancer at 67 while he was still working (for Schwinn) and my mom from emphysema at 55. I wanted to have a few years to enjoy life without having to work, so I planned ahead and saved to make it happen. You think you’ll never have enough money to last. :)

I'm still healthy at 71, thanks in no small measure to cycling all my life.

rwsaunders
10-16-2013, 10:57 PM
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" Satchel Paige

christian
10-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Anyone have a hobby horse?
Yeah, every parent with a three year-old.

http://www.koalatoys.com/media/image/thumbnail/610400-kokua-likeabike-jumper-hellgruen_1_720x600.jpg

CSTRider
10-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Have you ever ridden it, or is it purely for decoration?

I have ridden it all of about 50m, but it's extremely difficult because the wheels are steel shod "wagon wheels". Traction is terrible, and if you lean at all then you are riding on a steel edge.

If you've ever had a tire blowout or lose air quickly so that you were riding a metal rim on the road, well, that's the feeling. Now imagine that you also can't put your feet on the ground to get started or stopped. Oh and did i mention it weighs about 70lbs?

They didn't call it a boneshaker for nothing!

biker72
10-17-2013, 06:29 AM

With the benefit of hindsight, do you think you retired at the correct time, or do you regret not baling out sooner?

A good buddy of mine a work retired this month, after resisting it for ages. But now that the decision's been made he wishes he'd done it a long time ago.

I retired at age 59 but have continued to work at age 75. I'll ride about 4k miles this year. This worked for me but may not work for you.

I work with a cyclist that retired at 50. He's now 83 enjoying life and still cycling.

weisan
10-17-2013, 06:44 AM
How 'bout the "youngest"?
I think we will be surprised.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2013, 07:20 AM

I am bailing in about 2-3 weeks..just went on the govt dole(for the second time-USN retired), last wednesday...think the timing is about right...lots of external influences, like nanny-ing(actually 2nd tier helper, wife does the 'heavy lifting' with the 2.5 yr old and 6 month old)..$ is right...gonna ride more...

Nooch
10-17-2013, 07:25 AM
29... don't get up, i'll see myself out :)

Fixed
10-17-2013, 08:32 AM
This is going to be a neck to neck race by more than a few members.

Fixed?

I am only 58
Cheers

christian
10-17-2013, 08:36 AM
I have ridden it all of about 50m, but it's extremely difficult because the wheels are steel shod "wagon wheels". Traction is terrible, and if you lean at all then you are riding on a steel edge.

If you've ever had a tire blowout or lose air quickly so that you were riding a metal rim on the road, well, that's the feeling. Now imagine that you also can't put your feet on the ground to get started or stopped. Oh and did i mention it weighs about 70lbs?

They didn't call it a boneshaker for nothing!Honestly, this sounds awesome. I'm jealous.

Ralph
10-17-2013, 11:23 AM

I actually think some work is good for you in retirement. You just can't let it interfer with play time. People who do nothing in retirement get bored pretty quickly. It's about noon, and I just came in from a 45 mile ride with my old retired buddies. Left the house this AM about 8. We meet at a Panera Bread for a few minutes before the ride, then stop there again after a ride....so can manage to use up a whole morning on a ride LOL. Got to Planet Fitness 3 afternoons a week, and admit to taking some naps other days. So, with some yard work (I have a crew that does the mowing, edging, and blowing), keeping vehicles serviced and clean, some play time, and some rest time, plus shopping trips with the wife, I stay busy.

I also think living in Central Florida with year around warm weather, and a culture of fitness here....our local government promotes trail building, bike lanes on highways, and lots of low traffic roads, there is no better place to live in retirement (no state income tax either). Cyclists all over the place around here. I live in a Florida visitors and tourists don't see. There are even some hills here.

I retired in 1998 at age 57, with I thought enough to live a couple life times. Well....the crash of 9-11-01 and then the depression of 07-08 has forced me to cut back some, like other Americans, but hey.....I've been about every where I wanted to go, and done about everything I wanted to do...so no big deal. Now at 72, just ride a lot, work on my health, spend time with my terrific wife, enjoy the grand kids, and let life play out. Sorry to bore you with this. I will say this....it tends to cost more in retirement than you expect. Especially health care. So keeping a part time job....12-15 hours a week not a bad idea for many.

Louis
10-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Sorry to bore you with this.

Not at all, Ralph. I think it's good to plan ahead, and gathering data is all part of the plan.

Enjoy Life :)

Climb01742
10-17-2013, 11:30 AM
I actually think some work is good for you in retirement. You just can't let it interfer with play time. People who do nothing in retirement get bored pretty quickly. It's about noon, and I just came in from a 45 mile ride with my old retired buddies. Left the house this AM about 8. We meet at a Panera Bread for a few minutes before the ride, then stop there again after a ride....so can manage to use up a whole morning on a ride LOL. Got to Planet Fitness 3 afternoons a week, and admit to taking some naps other days. So, with some yard work (I have a crew that does the mowing, edging, and blowing), keeping vehicles serviced and clean, some play time, and some rest time, plus shopping trips with the wife, I stay busy.

I also think living in Central Florida with year around warm weather, and a culture of fitness here....our local government promotes trail building, bike lanes on highways, and lots of low traffic roads, there is no better place to live in retirement (no state income tax either). Cyclists all over the place around here. I live in a Florida visitors and tourists don't see. There are even some hills here.

I retired in 1998 at age 57, with I thought enough to live a couple life times. Well....the crash of 9-11-01 and then the depression of 07-08 has forced me to cut back some, like other Americans, but hey.....I've been about every where I wanted to go, and done about everything I wanted to do...so no big deal. Now at 72, just ride a lot, work on my health, spend time with my terrific wife, enjoy the grand kids, and let life play out. Sorry to bore you with this. I will say this....it tends to cost more in retirement than you expect. Especially health care. So keeping a part time job....12-15 hours a week not a bad idea for many.

well played, ralph.;)

Germany_chris
10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
I am only 58
Cheers

You're a pup compared to many of these guys.

moose8
10-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Probably slightly off topic, but worth sharing - my grandfather is 96 and quite healthy - he always lived a very active life hunting, fishing, farming, etc. His doctor recently told him he could start smoking again after giving it up over 30 years ago (I remember relentlessly harrassing him as a child to stop), but he has to do it outside. So now he's always going outside for a smoke, per the doctor's orders.

jensenn
10-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Probably slightly off topic, but worth sharing - my grandfather is 96 and quite healthy - he always lived a very active life hunting, fishing, farming, etc. His doctor recently told him he could start smoking again after giving it up over 30 years ago (I remember relentlessly harrassing him as a child to stop), but he has to do it outside. So now he's always going outside for a smoke, per the doctor's orders.

whoa thats very surprising. are we talking cigarettes or "herbal" medicine. regardless the doctor might have given to okay just so your grandfather can enjoy his life however he wants.

Louis
10-17-2013, 05:05 PM
So after 30 years of giving it up he still wants to smoke? That's incredible - what a hold that stuff must have on people.

moose8
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
It's a pipe and straight up tobacco. He loves smoking, but gave it up under intense familial pressure, so he was happy to get the green light - it certainly must be pretty addictive. My father even paid him to stop 30 years ago or so, and the joke is now my grandfather needs to pay him back. My understanding is that at this point it's not going to have any effect on his longevity or health (96 healthy years being a pretty good run) and it makes him happy, and he was told it can only be outside because of its effect on other people, so the doctor was basically like why not? I'm happy for him, actually, as it makes him happy and he is a super nice man.

pjmsj21
10-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Wow.....lots of inspiration here for me as I approach 64 in the next month or so. I have made the decision to work full time till December 9th 2015....not that I am counting or anything.

When in retirement ideally I would like to find a play/fun job within the world of cycling such as working in a bike shop, not so much for the money but the fun of it. And more seriously, I would love to find cottage business within the cycling world....not sure what that would be but would be open to any ideas from this esteemed group.

Louis
10-17-2013, 05:58 PM
And more seriously, I would love to find cottage business within the cycling world....not sure what that would be but would be open to any ideas from this esteemed group.

Depending on your interests, an industrial sewing machine or a milling machine and a lathe and you're good to go. MakerBot stuff is kind of cool, but I don't know if the resulting parts are strong enough for most bike-related applications.

cnighbor1
10-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Oldest active cyclist on the forum?
Charles Nighbor
born Sep 1936
It would be fun to hear how we into serious cycling
In 1949 my fat tire single speed was stolen. My dad and I went to closest bike shop
turns out it was Mike Walden's shop in Detroit I got a Rudge drop handle bar flip flop single speed racing bicycle
got to know Mike and rode with woveriens bicycle clubs in the 50's
Charles Nighbor at 76
PS today Irode up to junction on Mt. Diablo 2500 feet of climbing and down
35 miles
I ride about 5000 miles plus a year

Louis
10-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Our A+ #1 hero !!! :hello::hello::hello:

Dale Alan
10-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Charles,my hat is off to you. You give this 52 year old inspiration . Thank you !

blessthismess
10-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah I really hope I can still ride Diablo at 76! cheers

BCS
10-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Charles Nighbor
born Sep 1936
In 1949 my fat tire single speed was stolen. My dad and I went to closest bike shop
turns out it was Mike Walden's shop in Detroit I got a Rudge drop handle bar flip flop single speed racing bicycle
Charles Nighbor at 76...

Sep 1936 to Oct 2013. Wouldn't that make you 77 ? ;)

572cv
10-17-2013, 08:46 PM
About 15 years ago, my wife and I took our first cycling trip to France. We rented a little place near Villeneuve d'Avignon in March, bundled up and went out everyday. We were climbing up through Lirac on a ride out to Uzes, with what little effect the scant training one could muster in Vermont at that time of year could produce, when we were passed like we were standing still by a small group of apparently 70+ gents. My wife immediately voiced my thoughts: That's where I want to be when I am that age. A 'young' early 60's at this point, a ways to go! It is such a great sport.....

Chapeau to all our senior cycling compatriots !

Louis
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
We rented a little place near Villeneuve d'Avignon

Did you happen to come across these ladies? ;)

http://artmusette.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/les-demoiselles-d_avignon.jpg

572cv
10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Desole, non. But I had my sweetie with me, and the cyclomen were blooming on the window sills, and the almond trees were wreathed in the purple of early spring, and it was all good.

don compton
10-17-2013, 10:16 PM
I'll be 62 in November. I quit building houses in December '04. However, my office properties finally couldn't escape our wonderful economy. I survived and am building a few homes with a former employee and enjoying the time. Under our current regime, this is a tough place for an old real estate developer.
Oh well, I'll just keep plowing.

Ken Robb
10-17-2013, 10:28 PM
I'll be 62 in November. I quit building houses in December '04. However, my office properties finally couldn't escape our wonderful economy. I survived and am building a few homes with a former employee and enjoying the time. Under our current regime, this is a tough place for an old real estate developer.
Oh well, I'll just keep plowing.

Plus: You're Stuck in Lodi Again!"

beeatnik
10-17-2013, 10:28 PM
I'd rather ride 1 mile daily at 70 than 10,000 miles yearly at 35. Who cares about the distance. The little old Asian ladies in my neighborhood, who get up at 4am for daily walks, don't care about distance. Whether they walk a mile or 5 miles, the fact they get up and enjoy the morning, that's the takeaway for me.

Smelling the roses and all that...

#oldandiliketobragaboutmyheavymilez

dave thompson
10-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Septuagenarians rule!

Elefantino
10-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Charles Nighbor
born Sep 1936
Charles Nighbor at 76
PS today Irode up to junction on Mt. Diablo 2500 feet of climbing and down
35 miles
I ride about 5000 miles plus a year
Charles: Come by the shop. Would love to meet you.

SpokeValley
10-17-2013, 10:48 PM
60 here...4k miles this tear and counting...I'm just a pup in this crowd.

metalheart
10-17-2013, 11:10 PM
I am 69, just upward of 5k so far this year. I did a gradual retirement at age 60 after an MI. Took about 5 years to wind down the business, then I had a second MI. Wife said it was time to stop working, although that was not in the plan.

Plans are made to be adjusted, and like aging change and adaptation is the name of the game.

My respect for those who keep going no matter what the impediments and there will be impediments for all of us as we age.

Shoeman
10-18-2013, 02:50 PM
63 Disabled with 1/2 a heart + COPD. I still manage to ride a few miles every week when the weather is nice. Wrenching really is my passion though!!!

Johnnyg
10-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Not sure where 68 puts me in the pecking order of oldest but I'm riding 8,000 miles a year for the past eight years. Yes that is "active" get a life.... Not a pole I want to win, but it's just a number. My young friends say,"but John there is baggage with that number." :-) True. Ride on. JG

nighthawk
10-18-2013, 03:48 PM
No wonder you guys don't get my jokes... I'm only in my early 30's.

Louis
10-18-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm only in my early 30's.

Ha, Ha, Ha - Good one !!!

nighthawk
10-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Ha, Ha, Ha - Good one !!!

That wasn't a joke! Dang it.

Louis
10-18-2013, 05:38 PM
That wasn't a joke! Dang it.

But mine was :)

verticaldoug
10-19-2013, 06:46 AM
By end of January, everyone will be acting 80 as we bitch about the weather and how cold our hands and feet get outside.... So does it really matter how old anyone actually is...

Louis
10-19-2013, 04:25 PM
So does it really matter how old anyone actually is...

As long as my knees are still working, I would say no.

Seramount
10-20-2013, 10:11 AM
at 61, I'm putting in more miles than ever before. have done >5K each of the last 3 years.

started cycling in college, but I'm a more passionate and better rider now.

thunderworks
10-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm 63 and ride 5,000/yr. I know my age and mileage doesn't rank me highly here . . . but I have a friend and occasional riding buddy who is 84 and rides 6,000 plus miles per year. He rode a century in September and usually rides his age on his birthday . . . He's a totally cool guy.

Willy
10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
I am 65 (scary ) retired 6 moths ago and have put in 2,500 miles on the bike since. Plan to bike more as time goes on. I didn't think I was in the old timers league yet.

Bruce K
10-20-2013, 12:56 PM
60 on the 30th

3800 miles so far this year - way below what I've averaged the last few years but they've been fun miles

BK

dave thompson
10-20-2013, 01:03 PM
60 on the 30th

3800 miles so far this year - way below what I've averaged the last few years but they've been fun miles

BK

that's the best and only kind!

weehastogopee
10-20-2013, 04:45 PM
This thread is awesome...

Reminds me of my bike tour this summer.....I was leaving SLO headed north and we ran into this big group of seniors....all on recumbents..we ended up riding with them for a little bit and stopped to get coffee with them.

Talked to them for a bit and it turns out they rode everyday together and many of them were over 80...I was definitely inspired hahaha

Getting the same feels from this thread

Pete Mckeon
10-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Congratulations!:cool:

63 Disabled with 1/2 a heart + COPD. I still manage to ride a few miles every week when the weather is nice. Wrenching really is my passion though!!!

Pete Mckeon
10-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Quite a positive view on living. you did not bore me with showing me that you and others have same type of day as we in NC do, thanks:cool:

Pete Mckeon
10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
bikes, and people too:bike:

60 on the 30th

BK

CaptStash
10-21-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm only 52, but a couple of weekends ago I had the pleasure of riding with a club out of Vancouver, B.C. It happened to be the birthday of one riders. He races and is a Canadian Master's champion. He also just happened to turn 86, and was far from the slowest on that ride. Now that was inspirational!

Captstash....

2LeftCleats
10-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Good topic and one that I have both a personal and professional interest in. I'll be 62 in a couple of months and treat a lot of older adults. I'm a strong believer in the need for exercise as we age and it seems to keep folks mentally and physically in good shape. From the previous comments, it appears that most of the active older riders find cycling to be pleasurable and enjoy the social aspects of it, which are keys to happy retirement. But I'm also interested if anybody over the age of 65, to pick an arbitrary number, does any sort of intense training. Not necessarily to race, but to maintain muscle strength, lean body mass, and endurance. Things like hill repeats, intervals, weight training.

mktng
10-21-2013, 06:48 AM
I occasionally ride on Wednesday with a local group. Riders ages are all around. Strongest riders are the older guys. .. Old man strength.... They just know their body and the limits they can take. While younger (25 yr old) guys like me just want to kill it every ride... And end up getting dropped. I learnt fast to never look at a cyclist and judge by age haha.

terry
10-21-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm 63, retired last year. At 6000+ miles so far this year and include kayaking and swimming along with maintaining the house/yard I keep pretty busy. For "2leftcleats"- I do intervals and hill work, not for racing, I stopped that in the 80's, but because I used to do that for training and know that it helps to keep you fit so I continue that practice. Sounds like everyone here has no problem keeping busy in retirement. I'm always amazed at how many people I worked with who are still working well in to their late 60's. When I ask why? They say "what would I do-I've got no hobbies and no interests". How does one get to be 60 and not have any interests? Retirement is like being on vacation every day.

Louis
10-21-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm always amazed at how many people I worked with who are still working well in to their late 60's. When I ask why? They say "what would I do-I've got no hobbies and no interests". How does one get to be 60 and not have any interests?

I agree.

If work is what provides someone with a sense of worth and what makes life important, then IMO that person really need to broaden their horizons. I say that all the time when old guys at work (who have no significant $ issues) refuse to retire because they don't have anything better or more enjoyable to do with their time.

Ralph
10-21-2013, 04:00 PM
But I'm also interested if anybody over the age of 65, to pick an arbitrary number, does any sort of intense training. Not necessarily to race, but to maintain muscle strength, lean body mass, and endurance. Things like hill repeats, intervals, weight training.

Can't speak for others but.....yes.....I ride with a group of older guys 2-3 times a week, and we ride hard. We push it as hard as we can at times. There is a certain place on our route where we sprint for a mile or so, to see who wins. Other days I ride by myself.....if a rest day not so hard, if not.....about as hard as I can go for 25-30 miles. I only take a day off if my body tells me to do so. Only casual rider I ride with sometimes is my wife (which I count as a day off the bike).

Again....can't speak for others.....but I'm kinda into maintaining a low BMI, thru diet and exercise, ....to stay off BP meds and statins. Do weight training 3 times a week....not only to try to keep up my muscle strength, but also my Orthopedic Doc says I have a lot of spine degeneration, used to have a lot of back pain. By doing weight training, I'm keeping my back pain at bay.....so no meds for that either (he sent me to PT to learn what to do). So I kinda view hard riding and weight training as a way to keep myself lean and stay off meds. Kinda tough to do at 72, when so many Docs see a pill as a solution to every ailment. Don't think I'm unusual in the group I hang out with. Don't know what you see in your patient population. Good luck in retirement.

jlwdm
10-21-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree.

If work is what provides someone with a sense of worth and what makes life important, then IMO that person really need to broaden their horizons. I say that all the time when old guys at work (who have no significant $ issues) refuse to retire because they don't have anything better or more enjoyable to do with their time.

I like doing lots of other things, but I enjoy doing deals at work. My work excites me everyday. Since I work for myself I figure I can work less as time goes on take more time off. Right now work is crazy good and exciting so there is no slowing down.

Jeff

Johnny P
10-21-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm 65 and have 3400 miles for the season. Last year I rode 4600, which is the most in a year for me.