PDA

View Full Version : What do I do now? Chain question.....

gmcampy
10-16-2013, 07:07 AM
So I used the small/small method of chain length on my 8 speed Campy triple build. The chain BARELY misses the lower knuckle when in s/s (30/13). The problem now is that the chain is too short when I go into the 52 and get above the 4th cog. Can I add 2 lin\ks back into the chain without issues? (record 9 speed chain), or do I ride and be CAREFUL when shifting in the big ring?

Thanks
Glenn

kramnnim
10-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Seems like your RD doesn't have enough chain wrap...is it a long cage?

oldpotatoe
10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
So I used the small/small method of chain length on my 8 speed Campy triple build. The chain BARELY misses the lower knuckle when in s/s (30/13). The problem now is that the chain is too short when I go into the 52 and get above the 4th cog. Can I add 2 lin\ks back into the chain without issues? (record 9 speed chain), or do I ride and be CAREFUL when shifting in the big ring?

Thanks
Glenn

Short cage RDer?

Record 9s chain is one of the few designed to have pins pushed out/back in.

If a short cage RD..then the chain will be droopy in small cog and small ring.

gmcampy
10-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Short cage RDer?

Record 9s chain is one of the few designed to have pins pushed out/back in.

If a short cage RD..then the chain will be droopy in small cog and small ring.

Chances of using S/S are slim to none as I never use the last 2 gears in the small ring. I much rather use the BIG/BIG rings, so I guess I will add the extra links. And the RD is a medium length IIRC . Shifting is not an issue as Im using fricton shifters.

carpediemracing
10-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Seems like your RD doesn't have enough chain wrap...is it a long cage?

+1

The small-small (as well as any other chain length determining method) assumes that your rear derailleur can handle both the largest cog as well as the total chain wrap.

It sounds like your rear derailleur does not have the wrap capacity necessary to use the gearing on your bike.

If you get a long cage rear derailleur you can "add back" some links using 9s KMC Missing Links (I'm assuming they're available). Hopefully you hung onto the links you removed from your chain?

R2D2
10-16-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm with the other posters. Sounds like you don't have a triple rear derailleur.
Here's a decent article to get you started on capacity etc.
http://branfordbike.com/articles/rear-derailleurs-pg62.htm

Ralph
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
If you are using a Medium cage RD, then Small to small will have to be a little sloppy. (short cage will have to be a lot sloppy) Long cage will fix issue, but is not necessary. You don't use small to small anyway, so OK if they double back and touch.

Ralph
10-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Also....When the 8's Campy triple came out, the group RD was a med cage. Some called that a long cage. Some still do, some don't know the difference. I had several 8's Racing T Triple sets.

gmcampy
10-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Also....When the 8's Campy triple came out, the group RD was a med cage. Some called that a long cage. Some still do, some don't know the difference. I had several 8's Racing T Triple sets. Thats the setup I am installing, a 8S Racing triple, No a fan of the 42 but the 30 will be a nice asset on the bigger climbs ;).

R2D2
10-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Thats the setup I am installing, a 8S Racing triple, No a fan of the 42 but the 30 will be a nice asset on the bigger climbs ;).

And you have the rear derailleur with the long cage?

Ralph
10-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Thats the setup I am installing, a 8S Racing triple, No a fan of the 42 but the 30 will be a nice asset on the bigger climbs ;).

The 42 works real nice when cruising along the flats at 16-18 MPH. Allows good chain line to the gears you use. That's one reason why triples are still popular. Gives you the gears where you need them with good chainline. Climbing is just one of the positives of a triple.

gmcampy
10-17-2013, 07:41 AM
The 42 works real nice when cruising along the flats at 16-18 MPH. Allows good chain line to the gears you use. That's one reason why triples are still popular. Gives you the gears where you need them with good chainline. Climbing is just one of the positives of a triple. Never ridden a Trpple before but that makes sense.

Added 3 links back into chain last PM....Too LONG, removed 1 link......Too long, FINALLY got a good chain line with 1 additional link. Good news I got LOTSA practice breaking/ setting up the chain line, LOL.

Peddles and tires and the bike will be ready for test ride. Need it DONE for a Dirt/Gravel/Road climbing 65/80 miler this weekend.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3506297

THANKS for all of the OUTSTANDING assistance!!!!!!
Glenn