PDA

View Full Version : What rims have the same profile between clincher & tubular?

jasonlee
10-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm planning on building up two wheelsets and don't want to have to adjust the brakes AT ALL when swapping wheels between clincher (training) and tubular (racing).

Last time I had a setup for cross, I used Velocity A23 clincher rims and Velocity Major Tom rims.

What are my other options in the 23-25mm rim width realm?

druptight
10-15-2013, 10:55 PM
I just scored myself a set of these 23mm bad boys.

http://hplusson.com/products/archetype

jasonlee
10-15-2013, 11:05 PM
I just scored myself a set of these 23mm bad boys.

http://hplusson.com/products/archetypeThose are nice rims. Not sure that's helpful though as I don't know of any tubular rims that match that profile and brake track height/dimensions.

CircuitHero
10-15-2013, 11:11 PM
The HED Belgium C2 is the closest I can think of.

carpediemracing
10-15-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure but the ENVEs ought to be the same.

HED, when/if they finally release the Vanquish carbon clincher, will have identical profiles between that and the Stinger 6, or at least that was the plan.

Their new Ardennes+ may fit the bill but I think they're a bit narrow at 25mm outside width. The Stingers are 28mm. However I believe the Jets are available tubular or clincher, ditto the normal 23mm wide Ardennes. The Jets and the Ardennes are the same metal rim bits so they interchange (but the Jets are heavy).

Depending on what you want to do the HED3s are the same tubular and clincher. I have both fronts so I could train on the clincher and race on the tubular. They're narrow though.

Ditto Reynolds, some of them are the same (46, 66 for sure, not sure of others). I used to have 46 clinchers and tubulars for the exact reason you're asking.

Do you want aero or not?

RedRider
10-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Are your training and race wheels both carbon or both aluminum? If they are not the same you should be changing pads when swapping wheels. Sorry if I stated the obvious...