PDA

View Full Version : Mavic K SLR clincher wheel set

Jack Brunk
10-15-2013, 09:07 PM
My good bud hooked me up with a new set of wheels. Bad, good, opinions on how they ride, issues? Weighed in at 1390 grams. Looks like their really well made.

My bike guardian approved and so did the off road section.

Thanks.

T.J.
10-15-2013, 09:15 PM
My good bud hooked me up with a new set of wheels. Bad, good, opinions on how they ride, issues? Weighed in at 1390 grams. Looks like their really well made.

Thanks.

FWIW they have been my favorite wheel set this season. Light weight, spin up fast and the braking is unbelievable

Jack Brunk
10-15-2013, 09:55 PM
FWIW they have been my favorite wheel set this season. Light weight, spin up fast and the braking is unbelievable

Thanks TJ, your opinion means a lot.

Jack

c-record
10-15-2013, 10:37 PM
That is a bike that does not suck-very sharp.

CircuitHero
10-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Three MTBs. Fork and a half?

pdmtong
10-15-2013, 11:45 PM
I want those wheels myself....good price and hella braking.

BTW...I always appreciate it when your bike guardian makes an appearance.

beeatnik
10-16-2013, 01:41 AM
TJ knows what's up.

Tho, I member saying those wheels were awesome in some random "light clinchers" thread and all the wheel authorities claimed I was off my proverbial rocker.

soulspinner
10-16-2013, 06:24 AM
My buddy just did a bunch of Strava hill climbs on his. He loves them and cut valuable seconds on this climb. They stop better than his Fulcrums too...............

Nooch
10-16-2013, 07:27 AM
my only concern with them are the carbon spokes on the rear -- had a gent come in with half of the NDS spokes cracked after someone crossed wheels and touched on a group ride.

Mikej
10-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Ive been riding them for two seasons, they are stiff, brake super good, BUT, I broke two drive side spokes and now carry one when I ride, the tension is so high the tire hits the c.s. with one spoke missing. Buy spokes, they are not easy or quick to get, and when you need one, you need one. The pads are also 40 or so a wheel. Mine seem to be good still.

texbike
10-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Hey Jack,

The CIII looks good! How are you liking the 7700 stuff?

Texbike

Heisenberg
10-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Bombproof and crazy light, but Mavic needs to get their act together re: rim widths. Biggest reason I shunted mine in favor of heavier Ardennes.

zap
10-16-2013, 09:05 AM
They are nice wheels that ride very well (only used on my Crumpton) with supplied Mavic tires (I really like these clincher tires) and the braking surface is probably the best currently available. Initial brake squeal then one has to keep an eye on toe to keep harder braking quiet.

This is my first "factory" non aero road wheelset. For box section wheels with comparatively poor aerodynamics, I find that these wheels do react more than expected to crosswinds. It's subtle but if you ride a lot and pay attention to kit you notice these minor details. Typical Mavic hubs so may require regular tweaks to take out bearing play.

No issue's when it comes to sprinting or hard and fast out of saddle climbing.

So, I think they are really nice wheels for hilly rides rain or shine.

LegendRider
10-16-2013, 09:22 AM
I want those wheels myself....good price and hella braking.

BTW...I always appreciate it when your bike guardian makes an appearance.

Are you saying Jack got a good price or the retail is a good price? At $1600 - $1800 retail for alloy wheels I'd have to disagree if the latter.

merckx
10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Ive been riding them for two seasons, they are stiff, brake super good, BUT, I broke two drive side spokes and now carry one when I ride, the tension is so high the tire hits the c.s. with one spoke missing. Buy spokes, they are not easy or quick to get, and when you need one, you need one. The pads are also 40 or so a wheel. Mine seem to be good still.

I also had a DS spoke break. I was really annoyed! They were new (less than 600 miles on them) and I was riding steady state in the saddle at 21 mph on a dead-smooth road. I just managed to ride home on them with the broken spoke. I punted them.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-16-2013, 11:19 AM
my only concern with them are the carbon spokes on the rear -- had a gent come in with half of the NDS spokes cracked after someone crossed wheels and touched on a group ride.

That is what has kept me away. I do love the look of the dark spokes and rims.

Jack Brunk
10-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys for the input.

Tex,

The 7700 stuff is so smooth it's scary.

faryab
11-05-2013, 06:22 PM
One day....I hope!!