PDA

View Full Version : what's the smoothest bike you've ever ridden?

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 10:40 AM
when it comes to bike related purchases, i make a drunken sailor look fiscally responsible. but 06 promises to be a doozy of a year financially, what with the house needing work, getting hitched in italy and the young one's college years sneaking closer. (plus, i suppose i should start saving for retirement at some point, right?...naw.)

so...one new frame in 06. i have some swell climbing rigs. also good choices for going fast (least as fast as i can.) so if there was one area i might like to explore it would be "smooth". ok, to define terms here. to me, "smooth" would be the bike i'd reach for to ride for 4+ hours. to ride a century. to ride that would beat my body up the least. the ride that could handle bad pavement the best. long distance comfort.

right now, my ottrott and my mxl fill that bill the best. my all carbon rigs do many things well, but hours over lousy roads ain't their strong suit. so i'm wondering, what -- if anything -- could top an ottrott or mxl for long ride smoothness and comfort?

my instinct says steel or ti. what does your experience say...what's the smoothest rig you've ever ridden?

fiamme red
01-11-2006, 10:43 AM
For one thing, get a bike that will fit wider tires.

ols
01-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Kirk Terraplane with Campy Neutron wheels and Michelin Pro Race 2 clinchers in 25mm...

jdoiv
01-11-2006, 10:44 AM
with vast numbers of different bikes, but I find my all Ti Legend (no st) with Time equipe carbon fork to be buttery smooth... feels like a magic carpet ride... just what I've experienced in my brief cycling experience... :)

Tailwinds
01-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Smoothest bike I've ever ridden?

THIS one (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11301&highlight=Magic+Carpet+Kirk)

saab2000
01-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Smoothest bike I ever rode was a Seven Odonata. I have never ridden an Ottrott.

I tested the Odonata a couple years back and had to check that the tires weren't going flat. I pumped them up, so I know it wasn't some trick by the bike shop. The bike had a Chorus gruppo with Protons. I put my pedals on it and set it up more or less to my fit and went out for about 15 miles.

I could not believe it, but the road texture I was used to was simply gone, and the expansion cracks and concrete cracks and other road imperfections were greatly reduced in their harshness. I did not buy one, but I was very impressed with the smoothness of the ride.

slowgoing
01-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Smooth front end: MXL fork.

Smooth back end: Kestrel 200, Colnago masterxlight. I also seem to recall the Calfee Tetra Pro being smooth before I gave it to a relative.

Titanium can be smooth but it depends. I have an old Merlin Extralight that is fast as all getout but has so much road feel (more than most steel frames) that it might be punishing after a century. I have also found all Colnagos I have ridden, regardless of material, to be extremely smooth.

FlaRider
01-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Smoothest bike I have ever ridden was a Calfee Tetra Pro, stock 56cm, with Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, closely followed by my IF Ti CJs.

Strangely enough, I wouldn't describe my Ottrott ST as "smooth." It was built as more of a "racer" and accordingly trades off comfort/compliance for stiffness. It's still one of my favorite bikes, though. :rolleyes:

In my experience, steel bikes (and by this I mean steel race bikes with steel forks and 700x23 tires) are not particularly smooth. On poorly paved surfaces, they definitely transmit more road shock than Ti or CF bikes. That said, I'm sure you could get Dave Kirk or another talented builder to build you steel bike that is as smooth as butter.

fiamme red
01-11-2006, 11:06 AM
what does your experience say...what's the smoothest rig you've ever ridden?Vitus 979.

flydhest
01-11-2006, 11:07 AM
For one thing, get a bike that will fit wider tires.

Yep, if you have 35c tires on at 85 psi, the tires will make more comfort and smoothness than any frame.

A randonneur frame that can fit very wide tires, as long as it fits you properly, would be exceedingly smooth. I find it hard to believe that--conditional on huge tires and good fit--the materials would matter.

Serotta PETE
01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
serotta CRT with 28mm Panaracer tires.....

dirtdigger88
never mind :p

Jason

tv_vt
This frame is a very basic ti model, standard tubes. But so very comfortable for the long haul. Not sprinting stiff, which was the tradeoff. I had a Reynolds Ouzo Comp fork and it was so comfortable. Really sold me on ti.

Tailwinds
01-11-2006, 11:17 AM
In my experience, steel bikes (and by this I mean steel race bikes with steel forks and 700x23 tires) are not particularly smooth. On poorly paved surfaces, they definitely transmit more road shock than Ti or CF bikes. That said, I'm sure you could get Dave Kirk or another talented builder to build you steel bike that is as smooth as butter.

Yes, I think it IS all about the builder.

For example, I've ridden ti that is harsh (Litespeed Ultimate), but I know that a Serotta Legend Ti can be built smooth as butter.

IXXI
01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh....... this is gonna be a good thread.

Fit vs builder vs material vs tires n wheels. It's the Cage Match thread.

weisan
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
you think Bill-Bove can perform dual-purpose?

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh....... this is gonna be a good thread.

i thought so. :beer:

e-RICHIE
01-11-2006, 11:23 AM
so...one new frame in 06?

the racing men demand nagasawa!!

inGobwetrust
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
The smoothest bike I've ever ridden was a cheap old Dawes made from very thick-walled steel. Heavy as lead but it rode like a dream! It was given to me by a Bobby from London who was here in the States doing a charity bike ride. He and his compatriots were staying at the hotel I used to work at in Boston at the end of the ride from Florida. He said the bike was donated in England and he didn't want to pay to fly it back there.

I converted it to a single speed and loved riding it but ended up giving it to a friend who helped me move. I wish I had given him something else........

SoCalSteve
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
God knows, I've owned almost every bike out there...Steel, carbon, Ti and Scandium (no aluminum here).

And, I have to say the winner is my 03' Ottrott ST with 700 x 25 Michelin Pro Race2 tires laced to Open Pro's 32 spoke.

By far, the ride is super duper smooth.

I owned the bike 1 week and did a 4500' climb Century. Didnt even feel beat up at all after 100 miles (actually 103).

Just my $.04

Steve

ergott
01-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Ottrott ST.
32 spoke Revo 3 cross.
Veloflex Crits.

Like Butta' baby!

Had a Colnago MXL that was sweet too.

Dr. Doofus
01-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Ex-Lax Tandem

1centaur
01-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Given that tire size and pressure can be apples to apples across frames, let's take that out of the equation.

If you are going to ride a bike for 4+ hours, you need to make sure that smooth does not equal too flexible, since the inefficiency of the stroke will more than offset the pleasure of the ride, particularly towards the end.

I have ridden three Ti bikes and 4 steel bikes and none could be described as comfortable in comparison to good carbon - metal transmits vibrations differently from carbon and my definition of smooth has yet to encompass what metal bikes do. On a given day, I may like their sound or the way they transmit vibrations or even their "resonance" as someone said here, but metal must stand aside for better CF if I'm not in the mood to get banged around.

My answer is Crumpton with Topolino wheels (and I would put Vittoria CX clinchers on for max smoothness). I thought that combo was too mellow for my 2-4 hour rides and changed wheels to the Tempest IIs to balance out characteristics, but if my one consideration was a smooth 4 hours plus without annoying frame flex, that would be the easy choice.

BTW: I never cease to be amazed at Climb's ability to come up with good thread topics.

Dr. Doofus
01-11-2006, 12:29 PM
seriously

doof has never ridden any of these "smooth" bikes, and right now, oodf wouldn't want one. dofo likes getting bounced around a little because it pisses him off, gets the adrenaline fllowing, reminds him that he's riding a friggin bike...so oodf always pumps his tires up to 130psi and kind of likes the direct feel of a plain jane steel or AL frame...case in point...tempo ride monday, long 20 min stretch on a flase flat into the wind on some c-r-uddy chipseal...that just feels like working, you know...you can't enjoy just trundling along on that crap, so you might as well big ring it and spank the mutha....

when dfoo is older and fatter he'll probably change his mind, or he'l just be an old fat slow guy bouncing along cussing at the road surface....

anyway

ben the sandman was pretty smooth...and suave...

Kevan
01-11-2006, 12:36 PM
on this one. Smoothest doesn't necessarily mean best. But sticking to the letter of the question, it has to be the circa early 60's, big tired, Columbia tandem, made essentially with plumbing pipe. Nothing sexy with this 80lb wonder, but it you wanted to perform a briss from the stoker seat, you could have. Potholes were like a Hummer running over a VW bug.

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 12:41 PM
seriously

doof has never ridden any of these "smooth" bikes, and right now, oodf wouldn't want one. dofo likes getting bounced around a little because it pisses him off, gets the adrenaline fllowing, reminds him that he's riding a friggin bike...so oodf always pumps his tires up to 130psi and kind of likes the direct feel of a plain jane steel or AL frame...case in point...tempo ride monday, long 20 min stretch on a flase flat into the wind on some c-r-uddy chipseal...that just feels like working, you know...you can't enjoy just trundling along on that crap, so you might as well big ring it and spank the mutha....

when dfoo is older and fatter he'll probably change his mind, or he'l just be an old fat slow guy bouncing along cussing at the road surface....

good doof, two thoughts...save some room to grow angrier and more bitter for old age (afterall, isn't that what old age -- not young age -- is for?)...and on different days, you can ride different ways...no one can hammer 365, can they? deep, cleansing breaths... ;)

e-RICHIE
01-11-2006, 12:46 PM
have you done it the french way?
recent years have seen major rando/constucteur/audax
zeitgeist. mebbe get it all in a modern version of the
trials competition bicycle; light, durable, comfortable,
and built to compete and win...

call peter weigle and get the best.

Ti-Boy
01-11-2006, 12:51 PM
I've not swung a leg over one, but read a review sometimes back about the Titus Exogrid (Ti/Cf). Reviewer said the bike rode like a hovercraft.

saab2000
01-11-2006, 01:00 PM
The Odonata I rode was very smooth. I would love to have ridden it for a week to get a better idea whether or not that is a good thing. I owned an Anvil for a couple years built of large diameter Foco and with a steel fork. It had plenty of "road feel", but that was never a negative thing.

Dr. Doofus
01-11-2006, 01:04 PM
good doof, two thoughts...save some room to grow angrier and more bitter for old age (afterall, isn't that what old age -- not young age -- is for?)...and on different days, you can ride different ways...no one can hammer 365, can they? deep, cleansing breaths... ;)

doof does ride different ways

sometimes he goes south of town

sometimes he goes west

soemtimes he wears red socks

and oodf isn't angry

chip seal is fun

really

doof smiles when he does that

bouncing is cool

its a gestalt thing

IXXI
01-11-2006, 01:08 PM
try as i might, i can't ignore the time i did a very fast century, in only marginal shape, and came out of it feeling really really fine and feeling like the bike was just simply impresively smooth all around. the bike: a trek 5500. in fact it was one of my "best feeling years" in terms of the bike.

yeah, i hate myself for it.

(and no i don't own it any more. how schizo is that?)

zap
01-11-2006, 01:08 PM
when it comes to bike related purchases, i make a drunken sailor look fiscally responsible. but 06 promises to be a doozy of a year financially, what with the house needing work, getting hitched in italy and the young one's college years sneaking closer. (plus, i suppose i should start saving for retirement at some point, right?...naw.)

so...one new frame in 06. i have some swell climbing rigs. also good choices for going fast (least as fast as i can.) so if there was one area i might like to explore it would be "smooth". ok, to define terms here. to me, "smooth" would be the bike i'd reach for to ride for 4+ hours. to ride a century. to ride that would beat my body up the least. the ride that could handle bad pavement the best. long distance comfort.

right now, my ottrott and my mxl fill that bill the best. my all carbon rigs do many things well, but hours over lousy roads ain't their strong suit. so i'm wondering, what -- if anything -- could top an ottrott or mxl for long ride smoothness and comfort?

my instinct says steel or ti. what does your experience say...what's the smoothest rig you've ever ridden?

Tie between Klein Q Pro carbon (with tubulars) and Serotta Legend ST (tested only on some clinchers). But the Klein handles better when going above 8/10ths on less than smooth roads.

I ride skinny a**ed tires pumped way up there. No whoopy ride for ZAP.

I suspect Klein gets no respect here, but it's a well engineered frameset.

cpg
01-11-2006, 01:13 PM

Here's his recent personal ride.

Curt

weisan
01-11-2006, 01:19 PM

Can someone please wake me up when the HAHBS (http://handmadebicycleshow.com/aboutus.lasso)* commercials are over. They seems to get quite a bit of air time lately on the ER-channel-98.7 ...or do we have to wait until the "Day of the Gathering (http://handmadebicycleshow.com/aboutus.lasso)"... :cool:

* NAHBS - North American Handmade Bicycle Show

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 01:20 PM
hey, mr brooks...how about an eloquent euphonious "pitch" for a carbon tournesol...as they say in the NFL draft...you're on the clock... :D

Bill Bove
01-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Mei-frikkin-vici!!!!! They can build it to whatever dimensions and ride characteristics you want. Wouldn't one look sweet with 28c tires, fenders and moustache bars? Oh, and of course one of those huge, week ender size leather saddle bags.

jerk
01-11-2006, 01:24 PM

that's what the jerk called mr. dbrk for.
it'll compliment the 55x58.5 dogma and the emma nicely.

jerk

e-RICHIE
01-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Can someone please wake me up when the HAHBS (http://handmadebicycleshow.com/aboutus.lasso)* commercials are over. They seems to get quite a bit of air time lately on the ER-channel-98.7 ...

all talk.
all the time.

shinomaster
01-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Climb, I test rode a Merlin "road" frame back in 99' before I got my atlanta. It had huge chain stays but the smoothest most plush ride imaginable. Like Saab said about the Seven the road and all the bumps were gone. You know what the roads are like around Wheelworks right!!! Horrible. THE only drawback fro me was the cost and the fact that it seemed to noodle a bit when I stood up and hammered up short hills. It was a beautiful bike.
I would love to have a cross bike just like that merlin!

NateM
01-11-2006, 01:36 PM
I have a Calfee Tetra with 1" Alpha Q fork,Topolinos or the flexy old Spinergy Spox wheels.Smooth is when the Michelin Pro Race 2 25 tires are pumped to 85-90 psi. I realize this is a crit bike in design so handling would be a touch too quick.Go revisit http://www.cyclestournesol.com/tlc.htm I bet that carbon rig would be a very good choice.

weisan
01-11-2006, 01:44 PM
all talk.
all the time.

Robb Report?
You mean NOW!

fstrthnu
01-11-2006, 01:44 PM
You want a Calfee Tetra Pro with a nice set of Dugast Silk Tubualars mounted on ADA wheels. If You are only getting one rig this Year, You might as well go big!

Topolino's are for the Birds. No offense.

IMHO,
Fstrthnu

P.S. I hear Parlee's are nice too but I have never ridden one.

Dr. Doofus
01-11-2006, 01:58 PM

birds will poop on you for that

fstrthnu
01-11-2006, 02:10 PM
birds will poop on you for that

In Italy thats good luck so... Phfffft!!!

:no:

Fstrthnu

and You

saab2000
01-11-2006, 02:15 PM

Fstrthnu

and You

I never got pooped on when I rode in Italy. But I did have some good luck! :D

fstrthnu
01-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I never got pooped on when I rode in Italy. But I did have some good luck! :D

:beer:

;)

Dr. Doofus
01-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Fstrthnu

and You

yo

if the t-fizzle brings ya'll down here

I'll poop on your head

that's some old-school rabelasian shi'ite

sspielman
01-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I used to have an Andre Bertin made of Super Vitus Tubing.....with a longish wheelbase. It was not terribly stiff laterally, but it was light and Smooooth. Part of that was owed to the fattish Milremo tubulars. For modern racing iron (well, not iron) I find my Time VXRS pretty smooth....and the Carrera Pegasus (a ceramic aluminum matrix material) is pretty smooth as well. Tires are a BIG factor here....Tubulars are smoother than clinchers.....cotton and silk are smoother than most synthetics....and fatter is smoother than thinner. Rambling completed.

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
sspielman brings up an interesting point...does a longish wheelbase tend to smooth things out?

e-RICHIE
01-11-2006, 02:35 PM
sspielman brings up an interesting point...does a longish wheelbase tend to smooth things out?

it's part of the equation.

Grant McLean
01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
it's part of the equation.

the other part:

http://www.livingmemory.org.uk/images/Couch.gif

-gee

fiamme red
01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
the other part:

http://www.livingmemory.org.uk/images/Couch.gif

-geeThe most comfortable bike, though it gives up something in fast turns: http://www.bikeforest.com/cb/index.php

JohnS
01-11-2006, 02:49 PM
getting hitched in italy Congratulations!!!! :beer:
Can I come? Huh, Huh, can I?

dbrk
01-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Late to this party, been recording a lecture on CD today (and VERY tired of myself...on a five minute break). I'd be lyin' if I said that I thought "smoothness" was in the frame as such since I think about, oh, 97% is in the tires. That said, put a 27c RolyPoly on a carbon Tournesol with it's relaxed geometries, long wheel base, chainstays, and low bb, and you gots a very, very smooth operator. At least that's my experience. Do the same thing in 650B with the slightly smaller rim and 37c tire and it's like floating.

I have float now back into the studio...back later.

dbrk

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Congratulations!!!! :beer:
Can I come? Huh, Huh, can I?

thanks! i'd happily substitute you for some of the future inlaws. oops. did i say that outloud? and funny, the future mrs doesn't want a carbon ring...she's afraid it'll break. :rolleyes:

Bill Bove
01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Details? Where in Pasta land will the big event take place? For me it would either be in the Campagnolo lobby :banana: or the chapel of Maddona del Ghisallo. Now you know why I'm single :p . Where's it going to be for you James? Polasanto is stunning but Tuscany would be the popular choice. Is St. Peter's booked that weekend and where do you go for the honeymoon if you get married in Italy :confused:

Ray
01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
No contest, a Heron touring bike I had a few years ago. Never rode a smoother or more stable and relaxing bike in my life. Two mile wheelbase, looooow bottom bracket, relaxed steering. It didn't want to be ridden fast and didn't feel like it was moving fast even when it was, but oh my goodness sakes alive was it smooth. My Merckx ti AX was the smoothest skinny tire road bike I've ever ridden. I didn't own either of them for a particularly long time, so I guess I don't place that much of a premium on smooth. Or it just shows that my keepers are smooth enough.

-Ray

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Details? Where in Pasta land will the big event take place? For me it would either be in the Campagnolo lobby :banana: or the chapel of Maddona del Ghisallo. Now you know why I'm single :p . Where's it going to be for you James? Polasanto is stunning but Tuscany would be the popular choice. Is St. Peter's booked that weekend and where do you go for the honeymoon if you get married in Italy :confused:

tuscany for the wedding part. dario's neck of the woods for the rest. (i have a very understanding future mrs.) hey, a guy's gotta have his priorities.

Frustration
01-11-2006, 03:25 PM
A y2k C-40 (plain Jane stays etc), big prolink saddle and 32 holed open pro's not pulled too tight.

Before everyone including Ernesto decided that super high mod Carbon was "better" because it was stiffer and lighter... and wheel builders decided less spokes pulled tighter than **** Clarks face were the answer...

OldDog
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
'72 Paramount P15 touring, Reynolds 531 tubes and 27 x 1 1/4" (32c) tires and a Brooks B-17. It's dawn to dusk rider. For a modern bike my Sachs with Michlin 25C tires on open pros is my first choice. A long, low, mean pedaling machine.

Climb - what is smooth for me, at 190#, may be a coal truck for you, your answers to your question asked may be a bit tainted. I suggest you take a month off and travel the world test riding bikes to find the right one! (start in Chester to save lots of time).

YO!!!
01-11-2006, 03:58 PM
(start in Chester to save lots of time).[/QUOTE]

I'll take the one you think is second best.

coylifut
01-11-2006, 03:59 PM
the smoothest bike I've ever ridden was any bike that sat atop my Clement Campionato del Mundo Setas. Remember these? They were 28 mm wide and had a ribbed tread. It was like having a full suspension road bike.

93legendti
01-11-2006, 04:03 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3112&highlight=rapid+tourist

ergott
01-11-2006, 05:01 PM
You want a Calfee Tetra Pro with a nice set of Dugast Silk Tubualars mounted on ADA wheels. If You are only getting one rig this Year, You might as well go big!

IMHO,
Fstrthnu

P.S. I hear Parlee's are nice too but I have never ridden one.

Holy nice wheels, Batman!!

marle
01-11-2006, 07:02 PM
An Ottrott ST with topolino c19 on any clincher - GP3000, Vittoria EVO, etc - is smooooooooooooooth. You may not want to sprint with Topolinos - or point out some other potential flaw. But, one can not deny that Topolinos KILL road vibration.

mls
01-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I had a croll that was real smooth 531 tubes but i would also say it was a little on the noodle side I also had a ls ultimate that was real stiff w/short
c-stays. I bring this up because i would like a smooth bike also but dont want a total noodle or c-stays 60 cm long or 90mm tires. I would consider longer c-stays and larger tires but want them w/a bb stiffness of my old serotta that bike had so much life . i would get out of the saddle on a roller and the bb would give ever so slighty and then give it back to me as if to egg me on ...
your not tired go faster .. that was a great bike. So like i said if its 42.7cm
stays w/a 27mm tire thats ok just give me some life w/my smooth oh and by the way i prefer mine as lugged steel

eddief
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
new
that old comment was a bunch of BS. I now would say my Specialized Roubaix is the one.
------
old
I have a bunch of road bikes and one mountain bike. All the road bikes are relaxed with longer stays and are quite comfortable. I recently rufurbed the Rockhopper re installing a rigid steel fork from a Stumpjumper and putting on 26x1.4 Ritchey Tom Slicks. The good old Rockhopper is heavy, but now it is super smooth. Just for kicks today I did 25 miles on the mountain bike and really started to get into the feel of fat, smooth, 85 psi tires.

As our esteemed colleague suggests, smooth is easily found in tires, primarily.

Lifelover
01-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I have a bunch of road bikes and one mountain bike. All the road bikes are relaxed with longer stays and are quite comfortable. I recently rufurbed the Rockhopper re installing a rigid steel fork from a Stumpjumper and putting on 26x1.4 Ritchey Tom Slicks. The good old Rockhopper is heavy, but now it is super smooth. Just for kicks today I did 25 miles on the mountain bike and really started to get into the feel of fat, smooth, 85 psi tires.

As our esteemed colleague suggests, smooth is easily found in tires, primarily.

Not the popular choice here but my K2 with Semi slicks is as smoooooth as it comes.

Louis
01-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Climb, I have one picture and three words for you:

Honda Gold Wing (I've never ridden one though.)

Ken Robb
01-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Hampsten Strada Bianca with 700x27 Ruffy Tuffys at 85psi. This bike is ti built with YBB rear end by Moots and AlphaQ Cross fork. It is even smoother with 700x32 tires, of course.
My Legend with O2 fork and 700x23 GP 3000 tires at 110 psi is really good for something that racy but it's not close to the Hampsten on rough or unpaved roads.

Tony Edwards
01-11-2006, 10:56 PM
The smoothest bike I've ever ridden - by far - was one of those early '90s Kestrels with no seat tube - was that a 500Sci?

chrisroph
01-11-2006, 10:59 PM
1. vitus 979 on clement paris roubaix seta (never rode it on del mondos).

2. Spectrum ti super on tubular nucleons with nos italian vittoria cx front cg rear.

shaq-d
01-12-2006, 01:11 AM
as long as my bikes are properly set up and make only the whirring sound of wheels and tires on pavement across a quiet road, the bike feels smooth to me, steel or titanium... that said, the smoothest bike i've been on has got to be my softride. metaphorically, ALL the edges are rounded on this bike.

sd

The Spider
01-12-2006, 02:09 AM
32 spoke wheels, after messing around with pre-builts it was like having a hot shower after a long day.....say it with me......ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Easton carbon bars can take the buzz out of the road as well.

William
01-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Not the popular choice here but my K2 with Semi slicks is as smoooooth as it comes.

Do you just sit on it? Cause I'm not seeing any chain on that thar K2.

William ;)

Lifelover
01-12-2006, 05:47 AM

William ;)

I only use for the down hill sections!

Ray
01-12-2006, 06:09 AM

William ;)
To quote Lance, the Jerk, and too many others to mention, "some days the bike has no chain". This musta been one of them.

-Ray

steelisreal
01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
No contest here. 2005 Fuji Team Issue raod bike. Monocoque carbon.

Fixed
01-12-2006, 10:10 AM
bros lot of guys have that no-chain set up they ride down mountains and take the ski- lift back up in the summertime ,when I was in park city i saw a lot of bro's with that set-up cheers :beer:

MartyE
01-12-2006, 10:20 AM
smoothest go fast bike (not that I'm all that fast)
Jan de Reus on Mavic GP4 rims with clement Paris Roubaix tubulars.

Bike carves a turn like a well engineered GS ski.

marty

Fixed
01-12-2006, 10:24 AM
bro I agree with wheels and tires and air pressure make the biggest difference i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Max77
01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
The smoothest bike I've ridden is current bike, a Calfee Tetra Pro. I have a friend who also rides a Tetra Pro, but says his Steve Rex is his favorite ride. So, who's to say how smooth is smooth?

znfdl
01-12-2006, 02:28 PM
The smoothest bike that I have ever ridden was my Spectrum Ti that I sold to 39cross.

champlemon
01-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Smoothest? It has to be our family's circa 1972 Falcon. Why our family's? Because everyone of us three bicycle-riding brothers have ridden this bike at one time or another.

Until I destroyed it last year, the bike had its original Campy Nuovo Record rear derailleur.

The frame is sweet... 531... long chainstays, thin seat stays, beautiful svelte flat crown fork. My youngest brother took possesion of it and turned it into a single speed coaster with cyclo cross tires and a crazy track stem/handlebar combo.

39cross
01-15-2006, 03:07 PM
The smoothest bike that I *will* ride is the Spectrum Ti I bought from znfdl. :)

It is a beauty.

The smoothest bike that I have ever ridden was my Spectrum Ti that I sold to 39cross.

slowgoing
03-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Merlin Agilis with 25mm tires at 95psi. Stiff, too.

GoJavs
03-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Smoothest? It has to be our family's circa 1972 Falcon. Why our family's? Because everyone of us three bicycle-riding brothers have ridden this bike at one time or another.

Until I destroyed it last year, the bike had its original Campy Nuovo Record rear derailleur.

The frame is sweet... 531... long chainstays, thin seat stays, beautiful svelte flat crown fork. My youngest brother took possesion of it and turned it into a single speed coaster with cyclo cross tires and a crazy track stem/handlebar combo.

---------------------

That Falcon is a horse and a super-adaptable frame. This is it's 6th or 7th incarnation. Here's a pic of it. But, for my money, my Waterford is still the most comfortable, stable, yet racy bike I've ever ridden.

stevep
03-05-2006, 06:46 AM
smoothest by far
one of my first pro bikes was a durafort ( vitus steel ) tubed zeus frame....w/ zeus pro parts. sooo smooth ... over rr tracks you just kinda felt this little gentle thump...
along with about 50 other past bikes i wish i still had it but i would need 30 acres in the country to put 'em all.

97CSI
03-05-2006, 07:56 AM
After trying a few 'high zoot' frames over the past three seasons, I'm having the '03 Scapin EOS3 repaired by Tom Kellogg and selling the new Scapin frame I've got (also, I'm not a fan of compact frames - too old, I guess). The EOS3 is, without a doubt, the nicest riding bike I've owned in the 30 years I've been riding (at various levels - very relaxed at this point). Second best, and very close, is my '87 Paramount, which is built with SLX tubing. Can't beat steel.

Skrawny
03-05-2006, 09:46 AM
A few weeks ago James, Jared, and the Serotta Demo fleet were in town. I had the extreme pleasure of riding about 60 miles on the Meivici with a short pause in Stinson Beach to watch the Tour of CA ride through (and a stop for pie in Bolinas).

Wow.

-s

Birddog
03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm surprised no has mentioned a Softride, they are aptly named. Back when I thought I was a Trigeek, I had an aluminum framed one with an aluminum fork and 650 wheels. It was heavy, but very fast. A great descending bike, and definitley comfy. After a fast century you could hop off that thing and walk around like homo erectus with no pain and spring in the step. The only downside to mine was the alum fork which transferred a lot of road buzz to the hands. I'd buy another in a second if the price was right. I think Beungood bought a beam hybrid, I'd be interested in his comments. They also force you to pedal circles, if you don't you'll bounce like you're on a Pogo stick.

Birddog

dekindy
08-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Serotta Legend SE ST, with F3 fork and carbon seat stays, and Shimano Dura-Ace 7850-SL and Hutchinson Fusion Road Tubeless tires. My LBS mechanics agree.

Tommasini53
08-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Cervelo RS w/ Hutchinson tubeless on Campy Eurus wheels...very nice even on the roughest roads. :beer:

Wilkinson4
08-13-2011, 09:07 PM
My Glenn Erikson Touring bike. Of course it had 45mm chainstays and 28mm tires.

mIKE

fogrider
08-13-2011, 09:44 PM
my kestrel 200 ems has always been very smooth with matching kestrel handlebars and vittoria tubulars. I've since moved the carbon bars to my legend ti, pretty smooth but still second to the kestrel. my rocklobster scandium with low profile rims and tubulars is a close third. in general, I think its pretty tough to beat full carbon bikes for smoothness; Looks, calfee, specialized, all pretty smooth! even the newer treks are smooth.

dhoff
08-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Frankly, It is a toss up between my carbon stayed Legend and the Steel Spectrum. Very different feel, but both wonderful on the road.

jerome
08-14-2011, 12:54 AM
I would say the best bike :
best feeling
best confort
great efficiency

So far nothing bet my Seven Axiom, my Legend full Ti SE, my Moots RSL (last in line)

Actually the Moots makes a great bike RSL or CR, still very small production.

Bikes owned:
-Meivici 3 of them
-Axiom
-Legend Ti 2 of them
-Ottrott (2004 and 2006)
-IF XS
-Parlee Z1
-Colnago C50
-Specialized S-Works Roubaix & Tarmac SL2
-Scapin Columbus Nemo (1997)
-Ciocc Al (1999)

Ahneida Ride
08-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Ottrott .... with 10.5 tubes and fork :beer:

rugbysecondrow
08-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Custom steel Bedford Sport Tourer (see signature) with Schwalbe Marathon Racer 35s.

tuscanyswe
08-14-2011, 01:05 PM
My Merlin Ti fixed with 29mm challenge tires paired with a ti fork. It really is very very smooth!

JLNK
08-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Pretty much a tie - my Richard Sachs and a custom ti from Habanero.

Chance
08-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised no has mentioned a Softride, they are aptly named. Back when I thought I was a Trigeek, I had an aluminum framed one with an aluminum fork and 650 wheels. It was heavy, but very fast. A great descending bike, and definitley comfy. After a fast century you could hop off that thing and walk around like homo erectus with no pain and spring in the step. The only downside to mine was the alum fork which transferred a lot of road buzz to the hands. I'd buy another in a second if the price was right. I think Beungood bought a beam hybrid, I'd be interested in his comments. They also force you to pedal circles, if you don't you'll bounce like you're on a Pogo stick.

Birddog
Makes sense to expect more bikes designed specifically for smoothness. Is this due to lack of smoothness or lack of first-hand experience by members reporting? Softride market penetration was likely very low and it’s possible few here have ridden one or similar designs like Treks. Was rough front end enough to keep off your list? Not sure how smooth butt and rough hands stack up on average towards a smooth ride.

Kontact
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM
I have to wonder how much the ride of any frameset is the fork. Seems like a stiff fork could undo the work of a nice riding frame, and vice versa.

verticaldoug
08-14-2011, 02:55 PM
my 1970's purple schwinn with the banana seat and nut grabber shifter

merckx
08-14-2011, 04:06 PM
steel--merckx mxl
plastic--calfee tetra pro

jimcav
08-14-2011, 09:45 PM
kirk terraplane is close in my memory but it has been a few years so i can't do a same day or weekend comparison
also in my memory the late 90s c40 (pre b stay) was smooth--but that may just be because it was my first tour-level bike and i was psyched to have it etc.

Chance
08-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I have to wonder how much the ride of any frameset is the fork. Seems like a stiff fork could undo the work of a nice riding frame, and vice versa.
When bolted together they become part of a whole. How can fork and frame be separated when looking at their relative effect on ride smoothness? In Birddog’s unusual case it’s probably more complicated than most and may extend beyond fork being aluminum.

brockd15
08-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Smoothest I've ridden is my Aegis Aro Svelte. Second would be a super cheapie Ted Williams Free Spirit upgraded to 700c wheels and 9 speed 105 (I know, I know).

Pete Serotta
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
smoothest today is Legend ti, Ottrott and Kirk steel non terraplane. THey all ride well. I have an 80s CR that is the least smooth but it is nice riding,

:D PETE

tire pressure, wheels, and fit make the smoothest ride for most frames. Carbon can be super stiff or confortable. The HSG is comfortable with the Shimano wheels and hubs.

false_Aest
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM

1986 Fuji Team. Powder coated and rebuilt this summer. 10 speed DT shifting.

Just like whipping cream.

Heavy buttery goodness.

I suspect that I'll be riding it until the season begins in January.

Stewball
08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Hors Catagorie with an F2 fit by Paraic for speed & comfort. Enve post, stem & bar, (prefer Modolo Curvissima). SMP Stratos Carbon seat. Mavic K10 wheels, (brakes are also Mavic). Record 10.

Joachim
08-15-2011, 12:15 PM
MX Leader, but depending on my soon-to-arrive XCr, that might change.

rpettet
08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Specialized Roubaix just purchased. Switched out stock crank and wheels, 16.5 pounds, incredible over rough roads and climbs great too.

Bradford
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
For me, smooth and stable are closely related. My longer wheelbase bikes are much smoother than my shorter wheelbase bikes, regardless of materials or maker.

I've had two touring bikes over the last 20 years and both have been significantly smoother than any race bike I've been on. The tandem is even smoother than the touring bike.

When I started riding in the mountains, I took my Legend. Now I ride my touring bike because it is so much smoother and more stable going down hill, which makes a difference on long Rockies decents.

johnnymossville
08-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Cannondale Criterium, that thing was like butter.

Kontact
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
When bolted together they become part of a whole. How can fork and frame be separated when looking at their relative effect on ride smoothness? In Birddog’s unusual case it’s probably more complicated than most and may extend beyond fork being aluminum.
Sure, and you could make the same argument about all the other parts that make a bike.

I'm just wondering what happens when you take a "harsh" bike with something like a steel fork and put an old Time fork in it. Does the whole become something mostly different, or just the front end feel?

slowgoing
08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Since this thread was last raised, I tried an older Look 381. Rode like nothing else I have ever tried, like it had balloon tires. Without a doubt the smoothest ride ever.

Chance
08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Sure, and you could make the same argument about all the other parts that make a bike.

I'm just wondering what happens when you take a "harsh" bike with something like a steel fork and put an old Time fork in it. Does the whole become something mostly different, or just the front end feel?
Forks are a unique part of the whole in that they tend to be more permanent than wheels, tires, bars, and seatpost. It’s unlikely riders switch forks on a regular basis compared to other items that affect ride smoothness. That makes it easier to lump them with frames as a singular unit.

A different fork that improves ride smoothness at one end likely affects both ends. However, not necessarily for the better at opposite end.

Bob Ross
08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I feel horribly under-qualified to be replying in this thread, based on what I imagine to be comparitively few bikes I've ridden (then again, perhaps I'm just over-imagining all y'all's experience!)

...but fwiw, my vote goes to the original (circa 2005?) Cannondale Synapse all-carbon model. Rides like it's floating on a cushion of air. Almost disconcertingly so...but it's smooth.

TAW
08-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Since this thread was last raised, I tried an older Look 381. Rode like nothing else I have ever tried, like it had balloon tires. Without a doubt the smoothest ride ever.

I had a Look KG 361. Not stiff nor snappy but definitely smooth.

cdn_bacon
08-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Someone elses.

Always seem to be set up better than mine...

FlashUNC
08-15-2011, 03:26 PM
My oddball Serotta 753 with a new pair of HED Belgium rims on 32 spoke wheels. Very plush.

SPOKE
08-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Hors Catagorie with an F2 fit by Paraic for speed & comfort. Enve post, stem & bar, (prefer Modolo Curvissima). SMP Stratos Carbon seat. Mavic K10 wheels, (brakes are also Mavic). Record 10.

+1!
Pick your wheel/tire combo and ride one of theses then put the same wheel/tires on any other frame (except maybe a SoftRide type frame) and you'll understand

Pizzaguy
08-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Any bike with wide tires (non aluminum).

beungood
08-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Birdog ,I still have that bike ,but it is not a Softride. It is a Spectrum designed around the Softride Beam built out of lugged steel. It IS a very smooth ride. I am having the Campy 8 switched over to 10 so it is in dry dock. As I remember it really smoothed out my pedal stroke and was very slippery decending. And when cornering you could load the beam and take a corner very fast and sharp. It was very easy on my lower back the times ive had a sore back. I have thought of trying to find a larger tire for it and use it on the D2R2. My main Whip is a Hors Cat and it too is very smooth riding...

Birddog

beungood
08-16-2011, 06:29 AM

What about the Beam?

19wisconsin64
08-16-2011, 08:05 AM
A fresh set of tires, maybe 25 mm or more, and a little light on the tire pressure, and smooth you will get!!

great thread!

soulspinner
08-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Strong with 25mm tires, steel. Harshest was early Cannondale alu with 22 mm tires(at 155 lbs I could stand on the rear stays with little movement).