PDA

View Full Version : Used Vaya Titanium?

deaddog
10-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Coming back to the well for advice on today's used bike possiblity - the Vaya Titanium. On paper it looks like a good fit - both from a geometry and use perspective. This one has was "upgraded" with a Lynskey carbon fork and Apex drivetrain (with Rival brake shifters). Looks to be in great shape. Pricing is a bit high given that it was about $3000 new but its not too old (only made in 2012) and, purportedly, is a Lynskey built frame.

So, is approximately $2000 a fair price? Any reason to worry that it was a one-year production - can't find anything on the 'net explaining why Salsa put it out only for a year.

As always, thanks in advance for your input.

bargainguy
10-15-2013, 02:55 PM
I see the recent Vayas are steel; only 2012 in ti. I wonder if the ti version was just getting too expensive frame-wise or they were unable to negotiate with another builder. I wouldn't be worried about the frame's integrity, but that's just me.

tuscanyswe
10-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Perhaps they dropped the vaya ti with the introduction of the warbird ti, wasent it around that time?

ptourkin
10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Perhaps they dropped the vaya ti with the introduction of the warbird ti, wasent it around that time?

I read somewhere that they dropped it for now in favor of the travel version. I recall that it implied it wasn't permanent.

I've had an eBay search for a while and a few have come up this year. I think there might be a 55 on there now.

kentileguy
10-15-2013, 04:15 PM
According to the shop I bought my Vaya Ti from, Lynskey had trouble keeping up with demand. All Salsa Ti frames are made overseas now. I'm not sure if $2000 is a good value, but I paid a bit more for my similarly equipped Vaya and have no regrets, its a great bike. The finish quality of the frame is consistent with other Lynskeys, not bad , but you wont mistake it for a Moots or a Seven. Good luck

TimD
10-16-2013, 08:38 AM
I like my steel Vaya...

ptourkin
10-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Slightly related - there is a barely-used 56 ti Warbird on the bay right now with decent components. First one I've seen.
Edit: The 55 Vaya Ti has been relisted and is still up there too.
Topanga Cycles in LA has built up a lot of them and may know about reliability.

MadRocketSci
10-16-2013, 12:30 PM
if this is the bike you want, ie, lynskey made, gravel grinding touring capable titanium bike, then i think it's a good price. as mentioned earlier lynskey didn't make many of these, and I had to put my name on one of two frames scheduled from lynskey 5 months in advance

andywills
10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
My shop when I lived in Delaware said that they had a couple of warranty issues with the welds cracking on the Vaya Ti and the repairs took forever. Take that for what you will...I have no personal knowledge of it.