PDA

View Full Version : Long reach brake options

merckx
10-15-2013, 12:36 PM
I am contemplating getting a mudguard equipped bike. I would like to run 25c-28c tires with the mudguards. I assume that this means 47-57 mm brakes. What are the best options for brakes in this range? I have Campag on the bike. I am thinking about Pauls mid-centerpulls, cantis, or some Asian sidepull. What direction would you go?

Rebel_Biker
10-15-2013, 01:03 PM
I am contemplating getting a mudguard equipped bike. I would like to run 25c-28c tires with the mudguards. I assume that this means 47-57 mm brakes. What are the best options for brakes in this range? I have Campag on the bike. I am thinking about Pauls mid-centerpulls, cantis, or some Asian sidepull. What direction would you go?

I like the canecreek brakes.

Cane Creek SCR-3L

KidWok
10-15-2013, 01:17 PM
You may want to consider the TRP R539's on account of the super wide opening, which is handy if you're running 28's.

Tai

oldpotatoe
10-15-2013, 02:20 PM

We do fair amount of shimano and Tektro, remember with the Paul's, gotta have a cable hanger, unlike calipers.

Ken Robb
10-15-2013, 02:56 PM
The Shimano or Tektros with 57mm of reach will probably work fine. They have release levers on the calipers that will allow even wider opening than you already get with the release button on the Campy ergos.

christian
10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
I would recommend NOS Shimano R600. I have run them on a Rivendell, and my wife used them with an otherwise-all-Campy group on her Vanilla. They are handsome and having quick-releases on both the brakes and levers is convenient.

Highly recommended. You going Zanc again? I am really, really torn between a Zanc fender bike or a Zanc road bike and a Hampco Strada Bianca. Tough problems, I know.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-15-2013, 03:30 PM
I hear great things about the long reach ones Velo Orange sells. Can't recall the name at the moment. I've seen them (but not ridden), and they are gorgeous to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)