PDA

View Full Version : KMC master link on Shimano 11s chains?

FastforaSlowGuy
10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
The KMC 11 speed master link says it is for Campy chains, which I've heard have a lightly different pitch than the 11sp Shimano chains. No idea where I heard it, or if I dreamt it during a weird bike tech dream. Can someone tell me whether I'm crazy on this? I'm hoping the 11sp master link works across all brands.

buldogge
10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
KMC will most likely come out with a "Shimano version" as well. They had separate versions for 10s.

General consensus is that it doesn't matter. In fact, many people used 10s links on 11s chains, FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

The KMC 11 speed master link says it is for Campy chains, which I've heard have a lightly different pitch than the 11sp Shimano chains. No idea where I heard it, or if I dreamt it during a weird bike tech dream. Can someone tell me whether I'm crazy on this? I'm hoping the 11sp master link works across all brands.

XC_racing
10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
I am using 11s KMC Missing Link for Campagnolo on Shimano 6800 chain without an issue.

Also Shimano 6800 groupset works flawlessly with 11s Campagnolo Chorus cassette.

Cheers.

Ralph
10-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Haven't measured width for 11's chain for either campagnolo, Shimano, or KMC. But do know for sure, having tried to use one, the Campy 10's KMC link (KMC CR link), will not work with a KMC chain. It takes the KMC R link. The KMC chain is a tad wider than a Campy 10's chain. Just enough for the KMC Campy link not to work. Do not know if this holds true for the Shimano chain or not, but that is eason KMC makes a different link for the Campy and other 10's chain. You could use the KMC Shimano link on a Campy chain, but it wouldn't fit tight. Probably would get you home OK, but I would not ride it far.

I would be surprised if the 11's chains are all the exact same width. I'm not interested in using a KMC link that doesn't fit the side plates snugly. Am a fan of KMC chins and links, so interested in this subject. 11's Campy system probably in my not so distant future. Would prefer to use simpler KMC 11's chain with their link.

BdaGhisallo
10-16-2013, 06:15 AM
I've been using the KMC 11sp Missing Link on my 9000 chains for the thick end of seven months with zero issues. I do replace them whenever I remove the chain to do a deep clean in my ultrasonic cleaner, though. I am not tempted to re-use them and, for safety and piece of mind's sake, take them at their word that the links are single use only.

Ralph
10-16-2013, 06:20 AM
I've been using the KMC 11sp Missing Link on my 9000 chains for the thick end of seven months with zero issues. I do replace them whenever I remove the chain to do a deep clean in my ultrasonic cleaner, though. I am not tempted to re-use them and, for safety and piece of mind's sake, take them at their word that the links are single use only.

I see no reason why you can't reuse a KMC link after a chain cleaning....if it fits snug. I grease mine before re installing. Then lube it some more when I relube the chain. On a KMC chain with KMC link, my Park Chain Checker doesn't show any difference in stretch when measured over links with or without a quick link in there.

I do see why you should toss the link when you toss the chain.