PDA

View Full Version : OT: anyone crossbow hunt?

veggieburger
10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Just getting into deer hunting, and in this area, all we are allowed to use is bow or cbow. I have a few friends who are into it, but I really don't want to drop $600. Does anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive yet effective crossbow? Better yet, does anyone have a used cbow they would like to sell/exchange for some nice bike parts? What is the minimum poundage I should use for deer? Thanks!!

magoo
10-14-2013, 10:07 PM
I've been a bowhunter for over 40 years. After shoulder surgery 5 years ago, I've used a crossbow. I chose an Excalibur recurve crossbow for their reputation of being trouble free. It has been an excellent bow. Thinking that I ought to have a backup, I bought a Wicked Ridge (by TenPoint) compound crossbow on an ebay auction. I got the bow and a few accessories for $212.50. Actually I stole it. I would suggest a crossbow in the 150-175#
range. If you are just starting, it might be cheaper to look for a package deal. Excalibur, Ten Point and Parker all have good reputations.

veggieburger
10-14-2013, 10:23 PM
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!!

CunegoFan
10-14-2013, 11:05 PM
I would find it ironic that someone with the name veggieburger is looking for info about hunting deer except I have tasted veggie burgers.

Louis
10-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I would find it ironic that someone with the name veggieburger is looking for info about hunting deer except I have tasted veggie burgers.

Meat is Murder

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/crookedbeatdc/ALBUM2/R-1918756-1252415024_zpsc4a87726.jpg

false_Aest
10-15-2013, 12:43 AM
deers eat plants

therefore veggieburger is eating veggies.

Louis
10-15-2013, 02:30 AM
deers eat plants

They used to eat my hostas (aka deer candy) until I pulled them all up and gave them away to a buddy of mine who lives farther in the suburbs where there are no deer.

veggieburger
10-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Yes, meat is murder. Truthfully, the only reason I want to hunt is for the ethically sourced meat. I have tried going vegetarian and it just doesn't work for me.

There's an organic meat farm just around the corner from me, and the ground venison is $12/lb. Crazy! I don't have a bloodlust, I just don't want to eat beef or chicken loaded with hormones.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6njxmxFZX1raqba5o1_500.jpg

JonSnow
10-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Can you not draw a bow? Most areas allow crossbows only for handicapped or otherwise challenged people unable to draw a traditional bow.

A bow would give you lots more inexpensive options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

William
10-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Regulations aside, I see a crossbow as just another tool regardless of whether one can pull a traditional bow or not.

That aside, since you brought up bows, what are some good workhorse (not top of the line super $$$) bows on the market today?

William

veggieburger
10-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Can you not draw a bow? Most areas allow crossbows only for handicapped or otherwise challenged people unable to draw a traditional bow.

A bow would give you lots more inexpensive options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Yes, I can draw a bow. A bow requires much more skill, and I don't have a lifetime of hunting under my belt. The last thing I want to do is injure an animal.

redir
10-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I don't know anything about crossbow or bow hunting but are they efficient? To they kill the animal efficiently. I have nothing against hunting for food but frankly I find killing an animal for sport repulsive. To each their own yadda yadda. Seems to me if you want food get the right tool for the job, a rifle. I would think that you would have to get pretty close to a dear to kill it with a bow and rifle would be more efficient.

gdw
10-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Rifles aren't allowed in the area where he lives, bow or crossbow only. Both are quite effective and humane if the hunter uses them properly.

veggieburger
10-15-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't know anything about crossbow or bow hunting but are they efficient? To they kill the animal efficiently. I have nothing against hunting for food but frankly I find killing an animal for sport repulsive. To each their own yadda yadda. Seems to me if you want food get the right tool for the job, a rifle. I would think that you would have to get pretty close to a dear to kill it with a bow and rifle would be more efficient.

Most crossbow kills take place between 10 and 40 yards, which is a quick, efficient kill. Center fire rifle cartridges can travel a mile or more, so they are unsafe unless you are very far north, away from civilization. Shotguns fall somewhere in the middle, but on our land they are prohibited.

redir
10-15-2013, 11:01 AM
In Virginia you can hunt with a rifle, I got one for that purpose though have yet to go out and do it. We really need more hunters as the deer are very overpopulated. A friend of mine hit one on his bike just last week O.o.

Clydesdale
10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Bowhunting is about how close you can get, not how far you can shoot. The way you hunt deer will be no different when using a bow vs. a crossbow so hunting experience is a wash. With modern compound equipment, moderate coordination and some consistent practice you should easily be able to make effective shots at average hunting distances. A crossbow will have some advantage in terms of shorter learning curve, but some disadvantages in terms of hunting situations, state legal requirements if you ever travel, lethality, etc. Not that it matters but a lot of the archery community would not consider a crossbow a bow. (I guess like the cycling argument about recumbents)

Then again I shoot a longbow so the guys I know wouldn't consider a compound a bow either? :rolleyes:

avalonracing
10-15-2013, 04:01 PM
We really need more hunters as the deer are very overpopulated. A friend of mine hit one on his bike just last week O.o.

Actually, it is the humans that are overpopulated. The deer just trying to survive in the spots that they have always been with the little space they have left. It would be more appropriate for the deer to say, "This dude hit me with his bike last week, those humans are overproducing and taking over any undeveloped place they can find."

This isn't trying to start a threadjack or a make a social commentary on eating deer. I just think it is funny when my friends bitch about the deer in their neighborhood eating their plants while living in communities that were semi-rural forest land just a couple of years ago.

CunegoFan
10-15-2013, 04:07 PM
We really need more hunters as the deer are very overpopulated. A friend of mine hit one on his bike just last week O.o.

The thing about hunting to stop "overpopulation" is that hunters never want to kill the small, weak, or sickly deer. They are always looking for the biggest, strongest, and most likely to survive the winter. The result is evolution in reverse.

josephr
10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
The thing about hunting to stop "overpopulation" is that hunters never want to kill the small, weak, or sickly deer. They are always looking for the biggest, strongest, and most likely to survive the winter. The result is evolution in reverse.

yeah...the deer these days just aren't as bright as the deers I used to hunt with my grandpa. Now those deer were SMART....these kids just don't know how good they got it with the dumb-ole deer now-a-days.

William
10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Bowhunting is about how close you can get, not how far you can shoot. The way you hunt deer will be no different when using a bow vs. a crossbow so hunting experience is a wash. With modern compound equipment, moderate coordination and some consistent practice you should easily be able to make effective shots at average hunting distances. A crossbow will have some advantage in terms of shorter learning curve, but some disadvantages in terms of hunting situations, state legal requirements if you ever travel, lethality, etc. Not that it matters but a lot of the archery community would not consider a crossbow a bow. (I guess like the cycling argument about recumbents)

Then again I shoot a longbow so the guys I know wouldn't consider a compound a bow either? :rolleyes:

I figured it was like the roadie giving me the "look" when I wave while cruising back on the road from a mtb trail ride.:rolleyes:

;)

William

rnhood
10-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't think that is necessarily true. As the season opens up sooner due to overpopulation, hunters will generally shoot anything - even though they would prefer the nice healthy buck with a good rack. But the meat on the young-uns is good too, just not as much of it.

I remember back in '73 when South Carolina had a serious problem with over pop. Virtually all deer were frail and undernourished, young and/or old. The state Wildlife commission was late in addressing the problem. They eventually opened up the season in August without requiring buck only kills. In fact they encouraged hunters to shoot any deer, and even paid some hunters to help reduce the population.

Deer can overpopulate rather easily its not a pleasant site. They roam into the cities and neighborhoods looking for anything remotely edible. Preventing this situation should be priority with the state game wildlife departments.

Louis
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Clearly we need more wolves out there.

Ozz
10-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Clearly we need more wolves out there.

that is what I was thinking....:beer:

gasman
10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
And Cougars !!

chrisbp
10-16-2013, 03:06 AM
If you want to have a crossbow for casual hunting or targeting, there are many facts you should know:

1.Type (http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/)
There are two main types of crossbows: the recurve crossbow and the compound crossbow.

2.Speed
The speed, or velocity, measurement of a crossbow refers to the rate at which an arrow is fired from the bow in feet per second (fps). Speed is the byproduct of a few factors including the crossbow’s draw weight, power stroke, and the weight of the arrow.

3.Draw weight
Draw weight is the highest amount of weight in pounds (lbs.) pulled when the crossbow is drawn. Draw weight corresponds directly with draw length, or how far back you will need to draw the string to fire the arrow.

4.Kinetic Energy(very important) (http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/)
Kinetic energy measures the amount of energy, or force, the arrow carries in the air upon being fired in foot pounds (ft.-lbs.). An arrow carrying high kinetic energy will strike an animal with more force and with deeper penetration, so it is especially important for hunters to consider this specification when purchasing a bow.

5. Power Stroke
Power stroke is also referred to as draw length and measures the distance of the string from rest position to fully drawn posture (http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/). Like mentioned above, power stoke corresponds with draw weight and a crossbow with a longer power stroke typically requires a higher draw weight to bring the string to firing position.

6. Mass weight
The overall mass weight measured in pounds gauges the heaviness of the crossbow. Just like a rifle or regular bow, a heavier crossbow will be more difficult to carry long distances and harder to keep aimed on target when an arrow is drawn.

7. Length
A crossbow’s length is the distance (in inches) from the end of the stock to the furthest end of the crossbow, which could be the stirrup or the dissipater pads on the limbs; this is not an industry standard. A longer crossbow also normally makes for a heavier crossbow. For this reason, taller and more robust shooters may be comfortable with a longer crossbow, while shorter, younger, and female users may prefer shorter models.

8. Width
The width (in inches) measures the distance from end to end of the crossbow’s limbs when at rest. Just like with length, consider the width of different crossbows in proportion to your body. A wider crossbow may offset the balance of a shorter shooter, while a more compact model could constrain and be less comfortable for a more robust shooter.

9. Trigger Pull(many people overlooked) (http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/)
Trigger pull refers to the amount of weight needed to pull the trigger in order to fire the crossbow. This is not an issue most shooters with dexterous fingers, but the average crossbow will have a trigger pull somewhere between 3 and 4 lbs.(3.5 lbs is the best), which is considered a safe and effective level.

So, that's it. If you want to learn more about how to pick up the right crossbow, feel free to check out this crossbow blog (http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/):)

William
10-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Informative first post! Welcome!

Edit: From the blog link above: Compound & Recurve Crossbows...

William

redir
10-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Actually, it is the humans that are overpopulated. The deer just trying to survive in the spots that they have always been with the little space they have left. It would be more appropriate for the deer to say, "This dude hit me with his bike last week, those humans are overproducing and taking over any undeveloped place they can find."

This isn't trying to start a threadjack or a make a social commentary on eating deer. I just think it is funny when my friends bitch about the deer in their neighborhood eating their plants while living in communities that were semi-rural forest land just a couple of years ago.

Yeah I agree. Deer are 'edge' animals meaning they like to eat pioneer species of plants that grow on the edge of the forest.What happens when you build a new neighborhood? You create edge and the deer love it hence they become even more overpopulated. When deer are overpopulated they suffer too and that was part of the point I was trying to make.

-

I would love to see wolves reintroduced back to Virginia. We have plenty of coyote, they would wake me up at night when I lived on a farm, and they will take deer but not quite as much.

christian
10-16-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm sorry, but this is not how wildlife management via hunting works. In every state and country that has an effective department of conservation, targets are set for doe, buck, and juvenile populations and tags are apportioned in this manner.

It's not like the state says, "It's the second week of October, go blow away all the big bucks."

veggieburger
10-16-2013, 09:17 AM
If you want to have a crossbow for casual hunting or targeting, there are many facts you should know:

1.Type (http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/)
There are two main types of crossbows: the recurve crossbow and the compound crossbow.

2.Speed
The speed, or velocity, measurement of a crossbow refers to the rate at which an arrow is fired from the bow in feet per second (fps). Speed is the byproduct of a few factors including the crossbow’s draw weight, power stroke, and the weight of the arrow.

So, that's it. If you want to learn more about how to pick up the right crossbow, feel free to check out this crossbow blog (http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/):)

Hey Chris, thanks for bringing this back on topic! I see the odd decently priced crossbow, but occasionally they are putting out 260-275 FPS. I wasn't sure if that was safe and adequate for my purposes and lack of skill. I'll check out the blog...thanks!

And if you have an old crossbow in the basement that you're not using, be sure to send me a PM!

:banana:

jmoore
10-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Your state regulations should have minimum standards for all bows, crossbows and rifles used to hunt each species. If you stick to those standards or above and practice enough to be efficient, then likely anything you choose will be sufficient to make a humane and quick kill on an animal.

Archery equipment is a lot like bikes. There is super high end stuff and there is middle and low end stuff. All of it works if you can get close enough and put your shot in the right place. Go to an archery shop and handle them and buy a package that fits in your budget. Then go practice and you'll be fine.

Lastly, if you don't have your crossbow now and have been shooting for a while, then it's getting really late to expect to become proficient with it enough to kill a deer this season. Not to mention that it's not exactly simple to get inside of 40 yards of a deer to attempt a shot on it, esp. if you are new to hunting.

Good luck.

christian
10-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Lastly, if you don't have your crossbow now and have been shooting for a while, then it's getting really late to expect to become proficient with it enough to kill a deer this season.This is a generous assessment. I'd say it's basically impossible.

jmoore
10-16-2013, 11:30 AM
This is a generous assessment. I'd say it's basically impossible.

agreed

malcolm
10-16-2013, 11:33 AM

First off I don't hunt, but you are wrong. I live in Alabama where almost everyone hunts and most people that have private land or membership type clubs hunt on land that has deer populations that are quite regulated. Most folks have wildlife agents survey their land and tell them what to harvest and it always includes females and irregular bucks. They want a healthy herd because that is what will ultimately produce the trophy buck.

William
10-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Hey Chris, thanks for bringing this back on topic! I see the odd decently priced crossbow, but occasionally they are putting out 260-275 FPS. I wasn't sure if that was safe and adequate for my purposes and lack of skill. I'll check out the blog...thanks!

And if you have an old crossbow in the basement that you're not using, be sure to send me a PM!

Could always check out here....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=132&

William

veggieburger
10-16-2013, 02:30 PM
This is a generous assessment. I'd say it's basically impossible.

Oh ye of little faith. My cousin and I went out two weeks ago, deer tags in hand. I took a few practice shots with field points the previous evening, then we hunkered down behind some logs and I bagged my first doe. I was using my other cousin's super crazy reverse pull beast of a cbow, and that's what got me hooked. I don't want to spend huge bucks on a crossbow, just something that works.

*and for the record, this has little to do with my skills as a hunter. Our area is just teeming with deer.

CunegoFan
10-16-2013, 02:38 PM
First off I don't hunt, but you are wrong. I live in Alabama where almost everyone hunts and most people that have private land or membership type clubs hunt on land that has deer populations that are quite regulated. Most folks have wildlife agents survey their land and tell them what to harvest and it always includes females and irregular bucks. They want a healthy herd because that is what will ultimately produce the trophy buck.

We don't hunt on people's little patches of private land here. We have millions of acres of public land. 80K+ buck deer permits are issued in this state and those hunters are not looking for sickly deer that won't make it through the winter. They may have to settle for whatver they can find but they all go out dreaming of harvesting a buck with a huge rack.

PQJ
10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Ew! Bucks with huge racks just aren't my thing. (Nothing against bucks, or huge racks, but just not together.)

Louis
10-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Ew! Bucks with huge racks just aren't my thing. (Nothing against bucks, or huge racks, but just not together.)

????????

malcolm
10-16-2013, 03:22 PM
We don't hunt on people's little patches of private land here. We have millions of acres of public land. 80K+ buck deer permits are issued in this state and those hunters are not looking for sickly deer that won't make it through the winter. They may have to settle for whatver they can find but they all go out dreaming of harvesting a buck with a huge rack.

dreaming and reality are seldom the same. most people I know that hunt public land kill mostly time.

PQJ
10-16-2013, 06:01 PM
????????

Sorry. Failed attempt at humor it appears. In the interest of not being any more lowbrow, I won't expound.

chrisbp
10-16-2013, 07:23 PM

You don't have to buy the highly priced one, which is for hardcore hunters.

Use my comparison guide, find a few crossbow within your budget, then compare each specs, and you will find the right one in the end.