PDA

View Full Version : Campy 8 speed Cassette assembly

gmcampy
10-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Trying to assemble an older 8 speed Campagnolo cassette, all of the cogs are labeled A-G. Is there a logic to the assembly? IE A, next B, next C in the same clock position?

Thanks
for the assistance!

Glenn

Black Dog
10-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Smallest to largest?

Are you referring to the spacers?

maj
10-13-2013, 02:29 PM
A-G = 7 ??

Anyway, I just looked at some of my 8-speed Campy cassettes going back to 1996 vintage and I don't see single letters like that. There are numbers that correspond to the number of teeth followed by a letter like "13 A" etc. There should be circles on one of the teeth on each sprocket and when mounted properly they should form a nice left-opening spiral pattern from sprocket to sprocket on the assembled cassette. Also, there should be small triangles on the smaller sprockets and diamonds with a "C" inside that should be aligned straight when properly mounted. All of the markings mentioned should face out (away from the hub).

As stated, you should just be able to go largest to smallest (from inside out of course) and there should only be one way to fit them on the free hub since there's one larger tooth on the hub that corresponds to the one larger gap on each sprocket. If you're not seeing this, maybe yours is a much older cassette.

Gsinill
10-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Not sure about A - G but I came across A - C when I set up mine a while back.
I used the following link:

www.campyonly.com/techtalk/techtalk9.html

lhuerta
10-13-2013, 03:16 PM
when you refer to A-G stamped on cogs, is this what you are referring to? (from 93 tech manual):

gmcampy
10-13-2013, 04:25 PM
A-G = 7 ??

Anyway, I just looked at some of my 8-speed Campy cassettes going back to 1996 vintage and I don't see single letters like that. There are numbers that correspond to the number of teeth followed by a letter like "13 A" etc. There should be circles on one of the teeth on each sprocket and when mounted properly they should form a nice left-opening spiral pattern from sprocket to sprocket on the assembled cassette. Also, there should be small triangles on the smaller sprockets and diamonds with a "C" inside that should be aligned straight when properly mounted. All of the markings mentioned should face out (away from the hub).

As stated, you should just be able to go largest to smallest (from inside out of course) and there should only be one way to fit them on the free hub since there's one larger tooth on the hub that corresponds to the one larger gap on each sprocket. If you're not seeing this, maybe yours is a much older cassette.

My bad A-H =8 speed. Yes they are pre-ergo I believe steel cogs. Sized 13-28

maj
10-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Nice! I'd love to find a 13-28 8-sp Campy cassette. Do the splines match the freehub as I mentioned above? I'm not sure if the older ones had the one wider spline to be idiot proof.

gmcampy
10-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Nice! I'd love to find a 13-28 8-sp Campy cassette. Do the splines match the freehub as I mentioned above? I'm not sure if the older ones had the one wider spline to be idiot proof. Thus the question, as its NOT idiot proof, LOL Can be oriented several directions.

wallymann
10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
all of the spines are identically sized, so the cogs can go on any which way.

i dont believe there are any special cog profiles, so it really doesnt matter as long as you go big-to-small as someone else suggested.

they can be made to retrofit to exa-drive freehubs by filing one of the slots wider, i've done that many times.

maj
10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
No circles or diamonds on the cogs? Just letters A-H?

Ralph
10-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Even on the old ones, didn't you line up the delta marks?

gmcampy
10-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Even on the old ones, didn't you line up the delta marks?Please enlighten me what are the "delta" marks?

Ralph
10-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Please enlighten me what are the "delta" marks?

I don't see any. If nthere is nothing to line them up against, guess they weren't designed to be used in a certain way. But somehow believe there was some system for aligning them.

Ralph
10-13-2013, 07:40 PM
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64390

Maybe info on here. Scroll down a ways.

WOW....would have to think about this for a while. But you can figure it out with that old Campy chart.

gmcampy
10-13-2013, 08:04 PM
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64390

Maybe info on here. Scroll down a ways.

WOW....would have to think about this for a while. But you can figure it out with that old Campy chart.

OMG thats complicated!!!!!! LOL I will see if it works as described.......

Saint Vitus
10-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Please enlighten me what are the "delta" marks?

Small triangle markings.

oldpotatoe
10-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Trying to assemble an older 8 speed Campagnolo cassette, all of the cogs are labeled A-G. Is there a logic to the assembly? IE A, next B, next C in the same clock position?

Thanks
for the assistance!

Glenn

The gent is talking about the pre exadrive, 'alphabet' cogs, that when aligned to what Campagnolo said, shifted best under load. I lost that chart long ago and in actual practice, it really didn't matter.

Nicest part was the non exadrive freehub, that took these cogs, is also compatible with the exadrive 8s cogs that came out n the early 90s, still made today.

gmcampy
10-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Thanks all and Old P for the info! I think to make things easier I will use the 28 on an exadrive cassette to get me where I want on my climbing bike and install the rest on the Raleigh "winter" bike.

maj
10-14-2013, 08:42 AM
After reading this thread, I ordered a Miche 13-28 Campy-splined cassette.

gmcampy
10-14-2013, 08:40 PM
After reading this thread, I ordered a Miche 13-28 Campy-splined cassette.PLEASE post the link!!!!!! Thanks!

maj
10-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Here's the link I used. Never used this site before. When I placed the order, the 13-28 was in stock but it looks back-ordered now. Haven't received any emails other than the order confirmation.

http://www.bike24.com/p220047.html

edit: Just found another site that may have one in stock. Good luck.

http://luxbikes.lu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_34_35_132_170