PDA

View Full Version : ohmgd

pdxmech13
01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
scariest moments on the bike. Just had mine today.
1" of rain so far today, 45mph descent, soiled chamois=priceless ! :eek:

Sandy
01-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Why would you go down a hill at 45mph with 1" of rain? I guess that some of the racer dudes or dudettes might say that they do it all the time, but I surely wouldn't. Slide out one time at 45mph and you could really be in trouble. Why take a chance? Too much of a risk for me. That is for sure.

I am not trying to criticize you, but I guess I am wondering out loud as to why you, or others, would even do it. I wonder how many of us on the forum do that.

Scared Sliding Slipping Sandy

Ozz
01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Why would you go down a hill at 45mph with 1" of rain?...
sometimes the hill is steep....

sometimes the brakes are wet....

mostly, the good-sense is lacking. ;)

"If Only 23 Straight Days Of Rain Meant 12 Weekends In A Row"
http://www.komotv4.com/stories/41209.htm

excerpt: A neighbor once told me: 'In Norway we have a saying: There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.' It's true, especially here in the Northwest. A few purchases at REI, and you're ready to ride your bike, go for a walk, work in the yard, take the canoe out.

bcm119
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Rain makes cycling slightly riskier. But if it rains for 3 weeks straight, like it has around here, you have to ride in it anyway. I don't pedal very hard on descents in the rain, but if its a long, steep, relatively straight descent, and I pick up speed, I'm not going to slow down. I'm not that old or wise yet.

I hear you pdx, the last few days have been deluges. I had water stuck in my ear for a few hours after yesterday's ride!

pdxmech13
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Why would you go down a hill at 45mph with 1" of rain? I guess that some of the racer dudes or dudettes might say that they do it all the time, but I surely wouldn't. Slide out one time at 45mph and you could really be in trouble. Why take a chance? Too much of a risk for me. That is for sure.

I am not trying to criticize you, but I guess I am wondering out loud as to why you, or others, would even do it. I wonder how many of us on the forum do that.

Scared Sliding Slipping Sandy

if one is to go up
on has to go down

Too Tall
01-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I am not worthy...you da man.

coylifut
01-10-2006, 06:48 PM
I just got back from a 1.5 hour ride here in Portland. While it wasn't the wetest rain ride I've had, it may have been the most debris strewn. Stuff every where.

mwos
01-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Rain? What's that?

Kathi

Marron
01-10-2006, 07:13 PM
To beat the record set in '99 when we had 93 straight days of precip. The difference is that it's realllly been raining this year, not the usual grey with sprinkles. I had my first crash in about a year on the way into work on Thursday. The pathetic part is that it was on a section of sidewalk I have to traverse to naviagate the Montlake neighborhood in Seattle. Definitely not a 45 mph descent.

gasman
01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I just got back from a 1.5 hour ride here in Portland. While it wasn't the wetest rain ride I've had, it may have been the most debris strewn. Stuff every where.

Yep- Lots of stuff on the road it seems a bit worse now than usual. I'm glad I put my Armadillo on the rear last month. I like the combination with a conti gatorskin up front.
The wet, relativly warm weather means I get wet from the outside in and the inside out. Still 50 degrees not mph and raining is fine with the right gear.

huey
01-10-2006, 09:25 PM
While those of you in the Pacific Northwest are dealing with 80 plus days of rain and ridding in the rain. Here in the Southwest, we are going on 85 days of zero precipitation. I would gladly welcome some rain, we are in desperate need of it.

Kevan
01-10-2006, 10:46 PM
come back to report when your front wheel falls off too, then you'll have my interest.

shinomaster
01-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Today was awful. WHat hill did you go down PDX MECH13?

I'm riding on Wed. I put 25's on my cross bike (slicks)..

pdxmech13
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
right down cornell.
thankfully I know it well and there are no real turns.

The Spider
01-12-2006, 03:56 AM
Don't know how you do it PDXmech13....if it's raining and going downhill I'm probably I little cold and stiff and my ability to steer suffers and I have to slow down...it's tragic.

congratulations on finishing a ride in weather so bad others wouldn't even start.

William
01-12-2006, 04:58 AM
I don't recall ever having any problems on the Portland or Willamette valley/Coast range decents in the rain. Rain soaked Crits were a hole different matter. :eek:

William

shinomaster
01-13-2006, 12:14 AM
When I moved here I tried riding up Cornell with a 42 21. I had to stop. The ONLY time I have ever stopped on a climb!