PDA

View Full Version : EPS V2 charging

jpw
10-12-2013, 01:56 PM
this is a photo of the new EPS power unit, with the socket in view for charging the battery within. if the unit is placed in the seat tube attached at the bottle cage mounts i assume this socket will be pointing up and that it will be necessary to remove the seat post to plug in for charging.

Di2 charges from the junction box.

oh why this design Campagnolo?

Derailer
10-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I assume that Campy is expecting frame manufacturers to accommodate the new unit by adding charging ports to seat tubes, which sort of sucks for current EPS users.

Though I don't follow electronic shifting closely, it seems that Campy is taking the Google Android approach, whereas Shimano seems to be mimicking the Apple approach. I'll probably switch to Shimano if and when I decide to go electronic.

thirdgenbird
10-12-2013, 02:20 PM
There is an extension cable for the charge port that you need to route to a hole in the frame.

Down side: need an extra hole.

Up side: the same kit works for any frame internal or external. Not the multiple options shimano makes.

Ultimately, the Campagnolo solution should work very well and makes for simple ordering and frame swaps. The only price to pay is one hole in the frame. I actually like how the eps battery mounts.

I heard Campagnolo could not put a charge port on the junction box for patent reasons.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I assume that Campy is expecting frame manufacturers to accommodate the new unit by adding charging ports to seat tubes, which sort of sucks for current EPS users.

Though I don't follow electronic shifting closely, it seems that Campy is taking the Google Android approach, whereas Shimano seems to be mimicking the Apple approach. I'll probably switch to Shimano if and when I decide to go electronic.

I'm getting EPS, specifically with the old battery. Don't get the 'gotta be inside' gig. Got EPS, want smaller battery. Go get it, mount next to the bottle cage. You are going to need more 'stuff' going from external Di2 to internal than going to new V2 battery, which can be inside or out. If ya gotta have it inside, route the charger out the hole in the BB or under the bottle cage, already there.

Both, choice, I like, rather than having to choose, di2.

IMHO

Derailer
10-12-2013, 05:08 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

thirdgenbird
10-12-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm getting EPS, specifically with the old battery. Don't get the 'gotta be inside' gig.

I agree. I finally saw an EPS bike in person (fancy stuff like that doesn't get to central Iowa) for the first time, and the v1 battery looked just fine.

jpw
10-13-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm getting EPS, specifically with the old battery.

If ya gotta have it inside, route the charger out the hole in the BB or under the bottle cage, already there.

IMHO

the old battery, meaning the boxy shaped one(?). where and how will you mount it to the frame?

jpw
10-13-2013, 03:53 AM
If ya gotta have it inside, route the charger out the hole in the BB or under the bottle cage, already there.

IMHO

the new battery being the torpedo shaped one(?)

"the hole in the bb" - a hole specifically drilled for EPS, or the existing threaded cable guide hole? the diameter of the connector is too big to pass through the threaded bb hole. i'm confused:confused:

oldpotatoe
10-13-2013, 07:10 AM
the old battery, meaning the boxy shaped one(?). where and how will you mount it to the frame?

Like the pic, behind the bottle cage on the down tube....small hole underneath the bottle cage for the 3 wires to enter the frame and go their ways.

oldpotatoe
10-13-2013, 07:12 AM
the new battery being the torpedo shaped one(?)

"the hole in the bb" - a hole specifically drilled for EPS, or the existing threaded cable guide hole? the diameter of the connector is too big to pass through the threaded bb hole. i'm confused:confused:

If you have EPS now, and the battery is either mounted behind the bottle cage or under the down tube..there is a hole for the wires to get into the frame.

If the connector won't fit, enlarge the hole, like I had to do for 2 colnagos..to get the connectors thru the holes drilled for EPS.

corky
10-13-2013, 09:36 AM
When will V2 battery be available for Joe Scyhmo to buy?

Also nobody has mentioned the possibility of mounting the V2 battery in the seatpost... seems feasible to me..... just need a longer cables... maybe won't fit into a 27.2 post but bigger ones may work .....no?

jpw
10-13-2013, 09:47 AM
When will V2 battery be available for Joe Scyhmo to buy?

Also nobody has mentioned the possibility of mounting the V2 battery in the seatpost... seems feasible to me..... just need a longer cables... maybe won't fit into a 27.2 post but bigger ones may work .....no?

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/?attachment_id=94274

too tight a fit for round posts i think.

jpw
10-13-2013, 09:53 AM
If you have EPS now, and the battery is either mounted behind the bottle cage or under the down tube..there is a hole for the wires to get into the frame.

If the connector won't fit, enlarge the hole, like I had to do for 2 colnagos..to get the connectors thru the holes drilled for EPS.

i don't have EPS (Athena) yet, but i will be getting it. the frame will not have holes in the down tube.

i think a hole in the chainstay for the RD, a hole in the seat tube for the FD, and hole in bb shell for the wire up the outside of the down tube to the interface at the handlebar, with the new torpedo v2 battery stuffed in the seat tube.

The only pain in this arrangement will be the need to take out the seat post periodically to access the battery charging port. Ultegra Di2 has the more elegant charging feature from the external junction box, but EPS has taken my eye.

i can't think of another 'internal' design solution for holes and wires.

thirdgenbird
10-13-2013, 10:02 AM
The only pain in this arrangement will be the need to take out the seat post periodically to access the battery charging port. Ultegra Di2 has the more elegant charging feature from the external junction box, but EPS has taken my eye.

i can't think of another 'internal' design solution for holes and wires.

Just put a hole in the downtube or seat tube for the charge port.

jpw
10-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Just put a hole in the downtube or seat tube for the charge port.

frame builder not doing down tube holes.

the seat tube may be possible, thatthat would make for two holes in the same tube (the first being for the FD wire), and where on the seat tube would it go?

thirdgenbird
10-13-2013, 10:17 AM
frame builder not doing down tube holes.

the seat tube may be possible, thatthat would make for two holes in the same tube (the first being for the FD wire), and where on the seat tube would it go?

So the bike doesn't have down tube water bottle bosses?

Seat tube will work fine (but it is four holes) and is recommended for a seat tube mounted battery. See Campagnolo instructions for v2.

Edit: I get not wanting to put holes in the down tube near the head tube or underneath* by the bottom bracket. These are relatively unproven. From what I can tell, the charge port is nothing more than a 3rd water bottle boss. Keep in mind I'm not a frame builder. I just haven't seen anyone explain the difference in these holes.

*touring frames have had a third set of bottle bosses under the down tube for years.

jpw
10-13-2013, 10:57 AM
So the bike doesn't have down tube water bottle bosses?

Seat tube will work fine (but it is four holes) and is recommended for a seat tube mounted battery. See Campagnolo instructions for v2.

Edit: I get not wanting to put holes in the down tube near the head tube or underneath* by the bottom bracket. These are relatively unproven. From what I can tell, the charge port is nothing more than a 3rd water bottle boss. Keep in mind I'm not a frame builder. I just haven't seen anyone explain the difference in these holes.

*touring frames have had a third set of bottle bosses under the down tube for years.

yes, the seat tube has two bottle cage boss holes, but they're not wide enough to accept an EPS connector (at 7.1 mm diameter).

i will ask if the charge port can be a cage boss. thanks.

where are the v2 instructions?

thirdgenbird
10-13-2013, 11:03 AM
yes, the seat tube has two bottle cage boss holes, but they're not wide enough to accept an EPS connector (at 7.1 mm diameter).

i will ask if the charge port can be a cage boss. thanks.

where are the v2 instructions?

I think the charge port needs to be larger, than a traditional boss but I doubt it is much larger than a rivnut style boss hole. I would personally risk it, especially if the hole is reinforced.

I haven't seen print instructions but thry posted a youtube video that shows the install well.

rice rocket
10-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I think the real takeaway from this thread is....

I'm getting EPS

:eek:

Retrogrouches are dropping like flies! ;)

jpw
10-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I think the charge port needs to be larger, than a traditional boss but I doubt it is much larger than a rivnut style boss hole. I would personally risk it, especially if the hole is reinforced.

I haven't seen print instructions but thry posted a youtube video that shows the install well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIhwWobxjw

found it, watched it. thanks.

now i understand the design of the charging plug and its installation on a frame. i will ask if this is possible. thanks again.

jpw
10-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I think the real takeaway from this thread is....

:eek:

Retrogrouches are dropping like flies! ;)

the march of time waits for no wo/man. run with it or be trampled.:)

oldpotatoe
10-13-2013, 11:38 AM
the march of time waits for no wo/man. run with it or be trampled.:)

Tee hee, it is going on a MXLeader, bar ends(EPS), Delta brakes, this Luddite with a small 'l'.

jpw
10-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Tee hee, it is going on a MXLeader, bar ends(EPS), Delta brakes, this Luddite with a small 'l'.

this? is it compatible? that's a red 11.

edit: now i see the white 11.

electronic bar end shifters? so the interface and gear changing will work with these and without EPS brifters?

shovelhd
10-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm getting EPS, specifically with the old battery. Don't get the 'gotta be inside' gig. Got EPS, want smaller battery. Go get it, mount next to the bottle cage. You are going to need more 'stuff' going from external Di2 to internal than going to new V2 battery, which can be inside or out. If ya gotta have it inside, route the charger out the hole in the BB or under the bottle cage, already there.

Both, choice, I like, rather than having to choose, di2.

IMHO

I have DA 7970 with a homemade internal battery. I didn't want that big black thing hanging off of my chainstay right where it could be knocked off. The only thing I drilled was my seatpost to fit a roll pin, which holds the battery inside. To charge it, I can either pull the seatpost and disconnect the waterproof connector, or I can pull the RD cable and charge it from there. I like this setup because it keeps the wiring inside, protected.

oldpotatoe
10-14-2013, 07:13 AM
this? is it compatible? that's a red 11.

edit: now i see the white 11.

electronic bar end shifters? so the interface and gear changing will work with these and without EPS brifters?

Athena and of course they will..just shifters, switches in a different place..like a lot of tri-geeks use..they don't have a second set of shifters with the barends.

Like I said, I want the old battery, outside because.

-Cheaper since all going to V2 battery
-I don't mind the battery any more than a bottle on the bike..battery right behind it, not down below the bike
-people can see the battery to see how cool I am.
-cuz I don't understand the 'gotta have the battery inside' gig..it is protected and accessible, behind the bottle cage on the downtube..and where I suggest they go for new bikes I sell...but most want it inside so......