PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Di2 news

WickedWheels
10-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Just heard from one of the sales reps that 105 is going 11 speed next year (duh!), but more exciting is that there will be a 105 Di2 group AND an XTR Di2 group for 2015. I guess this means no 1x11 for Shimano...

He's 100% confident in this and he's fairly tuned in to Shimano.

gavingould
10-11-2013, 07:19 PM
105 Di2 would be interesting for cyclocross. Not too expensive if you blow up a derailleur but no shift cables to foul and apparently shifts better in mud.

jpw
10-12-2013, 03:45 AM
an Athena response?:no:

release date?:confused:

reversed polarity;):no:

oldpotatoe
10-12-2013, 07:28 AM
105 Di2 would be interesting for cyclocross. Not too expensive if you blow up a derailleur but no shift cables to foul and apparently shifts better in mud.

and no doubt hydro discs..can't race w/o hydro discs, 11s and electronic..come ON sram...

mechanical is so last year.

apeescape
10-12-2013, 10:21 PM
My bet/hope is shimano makes a sequential 2x10/11 that only necessitates one shifter. Their booth at interbike this year was a bit boring....

jds108
10-12-2013, 10:54 PM
an Athena response?:no:

release date?:confused:

reversed polarity;):no:

I'm not following this comment. Athena EPS is already available. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/electronic-transmission-electronic-brake-gear-shifters-campagnolo-athena-eps-ergos-with-brake-cableset/campelss200

jpw
10-13-2013, 03:39 AM
I'm not following this comment. Athena EPS is already available. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/electronic-transmission-electronic-brake-gear-shifters-campagnolo-athena-eps-ergos-with-brake-cableset/campelss200

a response *to* Athena by Shimano (105 electronic), but will it be reversed polarity like Athena to stop cherry picking of parts by consumers and reduced revenue for the industry supply chain?

when is the 105e release date?

RedRider
10-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Shipping date for 105?
I wouldn't hold off a planned purchase, to wait for it, since Shimano hasn't even started shipping Ultegra DI2 11speed yet (expected later this month>Dec).

charliedid
10-13-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm holding out for the SSCX SRAM Force electronic drivetrain...

I hear it kills it, in the mud.

RedRider
10-13-2013, 09:52 AM

With microwave shifting...

WickedWheels
10-13-2013, 09:58 AM
This is all for 2015 model year. I wouldn't count on it until at least a year from now, if not more.

charliedid
10-13-2013, 10:19 AM
With microwave shifting...

Shhhh!

jpw
10-13-2013, 10:53 AM
i hear Uri Geller has been taken on as a consultant for product development.

oldpotatoe
10-13-2013, 11:40 AM

I hear it's hydraulic, not electronic......

ultraman6970
10-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Said it time ago, the day shimano figure it out how to produce this thing really cheap, electronic will be massive oem market with shimano by mid 2014, early 2015.

Doesnt look good for campagnolo IMO, specially if some other johnny come lately shows up with a low cost electronic by 2015. Wonder what Sram has in mind.

thirdgenbird
10-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Last I knew Campagnolo was selling everything they could produce with nothing to speak of for OEM sales. The sad thing is veloce, chorus, and Athena EPS are some of the best values around. It's too bad you rarely see them as OEM spec. A chorus caad 10 or smartweld allez would rock. It might actually get me to buy a complete bike.

It is nice to see a lot of Campagnolo here, on weight weenies, and on show bikes. Campagnolo may be number three in size, but they do a lot right.

jpw
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Last I knew Campagnolo was selling everything they could produce with nothing to speak of for OEM sales. The sad thing is veloce, chorus, and Athena EPS are some of the best values around. It's too bad you rarely see them as OEM spec. A chorus caad 10 or smartweld allez would rock. It might actually get me to buy a complete bike.

It is nice to see a lot of Campagnolo here, on weight weenies, and on show bikes. Campagnolo may be number three in size, but they do a lot right.

they do seem to do a lot right, but from what i've read they seem to miss out a little on patent filing ideas, like satellite shifters, sprinter buttons, and direct charging from the interface junction box.

thirdgenbird
10-13-2013, 02:33 PM
True, but those are not great examples. I can't see the charging situation having much effect on sales. Once the frame had the proper hole, I think the Campagnolo solution is better for a number or reasons. I also don't see the sprint shifters being a big loss. The eps thumb button is pretty darn accessible. Most people that would truely benefit from the sprint shifter are not buying components anyway. They are being told what to ride.

The satellite shifters have a tangible benefit for a larger market and I though at one time Campagnolo said they were going to market them. If shimano does hold the patent (I doubt they do) it probably wouldn't hold up. Mektronic had a bar top satellite shifter years ago.

BdaGhisallo
10-13-2013, 02:39 PM

We've talked about this in the past, but keep in mind that Campy is a much, much smaller company than Shimano or Sram. The OEM market will be a tough nut to crack for them. They will have to ramp up their production capacity quite significantly to compete in the OEM realm. Campy's sales volumes are small compared to the OEM giant that is Shimano. Shimano, and Sram to a lesser extent, will always be able to out compete them due to the economies of scale they can bring to bear, pending a major change in the relative capacities of the three companies.

false_Aest
10-13-2013, 02:59 PM
I'll be first in line for a Campy fishing reel.

thirdgenbird
10-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I completely understand where Campagnolo is at but it still makes me sad I can't buy a chous equipped alloy race bike. I guess my point is Campagnolo shouldn't really be effected by future OEM battles because they have so little OEM to begin with. I was surprised at the amout of OEM Campagnolo grabbed with fulcrum wheels. I'm sorta hoping for fulcrum bars, stems, and posts.

jpw
10-13-2013, 03:52 PM
I completely understand where Campagnolo is at but it still makes me sad I can't buy a chous equipped alloy race bike. I guess my point is Campagnolo shouldn't really be effected by future OEM battles because they have so little OEM to begin with. I was surprised at the amout of OEM Campagnolo grabbed with fulcrum wheels. I'm sorta hoping for fulcrum bars, stems, and posts.

it's true. i never see bikes dressed in Campagnolo in my LBS, and my LBS belongs to the biggest retailer in the UK, with over 50 shops in total. however, they have promised that there will be two bike brands in my shop this winter dressed in Athena EPS. a bit of a 'first'. looking forward to it.

palincss
10-13-2013, 04:56 PM
it's true. i never see bikes dressed in Campagnolo in my LBS, and my LBS belongs to the biggest retailer in the UK, with over 50 shops in total.

This didn't used to be the case. In 1972, all the high-end bikes (except the French) came equipped with Campagnolo.

oldpotatoe
10-14-2013, 07:21 AM
We've talked about this in the past, but keep in mind that Campy is a much, much smaller company than Shimano or Sram. The OEM market will be a tough nut to crack for them. They will have to ramp up their production capacity quite significantly to compete in the OEM realm. Campy's sales volumes are small compared to the OEM giant that is Shimano. Shimano, and Sram to a lesser extent, will always be able to out compete them due to the economies of scale they can bring to bear, pending a major change in the relative capacities of the three companies.

PLUS where shimano and sram is made. They are all asian, Taiwan mostly for sram, where a huge amount of the frames that get OE are made. Campagnolo does make a few things in Asia but stays true to it's European manufacture, to more closely control production.

I have always heard rumors of 'Fulcrum' stuff, made in Asia, showing up on OE frames there, rebranded Athena and below..one of the reasons they changed the design in the shifters and cranks.

Big $ tho, to make this happen.

thirdgenbird
10-14-2013, 08:49 AM
I have always heard rumors of 'Fulcrum' stuff, made in Asia, showing up on OE frames there, rebranded Athena and below..one of the reasons they changed the design in the shifters and cranks.

Big $ tho, to make this happen.

I heard this last winter as well. Doesn't campy rebrand ergos and derailleurs for Miche? Has anyone ever seen them?

I would rather see Asian made fulcrum bars/stems/posts/cranks/wheels. I am sick of seeing FSA on everything out there. This would let OEMs include more fulcrum parts on sram, shimano, or Campagnolo builds. They could also hit the road, hybrid, and mtb markets.

Money would obviously be a concern.

jpw
10-14-2013, 11:34 AM
This didn't used to be the case. In 1972, all the high-end bikes (except the French) came equipped with Campagnolo.

before my time, but i can well believe it was so.

shovelhd
10-14-2013, 11:54 AM

Absolutely. The Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh Professional, etc. all came with Nuovo Record. I think it's safe to say that if Campagnolo didn't penetrate the high end OEM market, they would have never made it as a niche component maker. This was the bike boom era, and what you saw on the bikes in the stores was what you wanted.

54ny77
10-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Tiagra gon' done went electric, for $1900!

http://fishing-reel-fishing-reels-tackle.com/catalog/images/SHIMANO.jpg

http://www.bluemarlinchronicles.com/dolphin_whisenhunt_Shimano_Tiagra_80_2_speed_elect ric_reel.htm

thirdgenbird
10-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Tiagra gon' done went electric, for $1900!

http://fishing-reel-fishing-reels-tackle.com/catalog/images/SHIMANO.jpg

http://www.bluemarlinchronicles.com/dolphin_whisenhunt_Shimano_Tiagra_80_2_speed_elect ric_reel.htm

Does it work with bb386? What adaptor do I need?