PDA

View Full Version : 30.9 Ti seatpost recommendations please

donevwil
10-11-2013, 10:55 AM
My beloved Turbomatic II won't mount on my new, bling Moots layback Cinch Post, SOAB ! The saddle's side skirts obstruct access to the post's side-access hardware. Changing saddles is not an option.

I'm looking for recommendations on a nice, 30.9, 15-20mm setback titanium seatpost with bottom access hardware, so Eriksen, Firefly, Bold Precision and Moots are out. Second tier would be an aluminum post in silver with the same specs (no bent posts like the Thomson). Also no carbon fiber.

Thanks

cmbicycles
10-11-2013, 11:32 AM
If you shim to 27.2 you could find several setback posts such as AM Classic, Campy, and likely others

donevwil
10-11-2013, 11:42 AM
If you shim to 27.2 you could find several setback posts such as AM Classic, Campy, and likely others

That'll probably be my short term solution, albeit with an aluminum post. I'm currently doing that on my wife's bike. It works, but is not my preferred long term solution.

buddybikes
10-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Can you simply cut the 4 (or 5mm) allen wrench down to 1/2 inch or so and use a side bolt one? Seems better alternative to me.

lonoeightysix
10-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Can you simply cut the 4 (or 5mm) allen wrench down to 1/2 inch or so and use a side bolt one? Seems better alternative to me.

yep, was just thinking this, or use a ball end hex, like a bondhus.

donevwil
10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately the saddle skirts are right against the post bolts when fore-aft is right. I tried a Bondhus ball-end last night, but still couldn't get the post back far enough on the rails before the skirts cover the bolts. Thought about cutting down a 6mm and may still try it, but think access is still too slim and it'd probably result in a scratched and gouged side plate. Looking for a flat wrench with a protruding short 6mm hex, like the inverse of a 15mm peanut butter wrench.

donevwil
10-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Looks like Seven make one. Not as sexy as a Moots or Eriksen though.

xjahx
10-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Try James at Black Sheep. Based on prior interactions, he will build just about anything.

buddybikes
10-11-2013, 12:20 PM
another alternative. chop your 6mm down to 1/2 inch or so, then stick in in the bolt hole. Take a thin 6mm regular wrench apply to hex and unscrew.

Actually, you can probably buy a 6mm drill bit so you don't need to do step 1.

your problem can be solved somehow...

donevwil
10-11-2013, 12:27 PM
another alternative. chop your 6mm down to 1/2 inch or so, then stick in in the bolt hole. Take a thin 6mm regular wrench apply to hex and unscrew.

I like it ! You may be on to something, granted on the road adjustments (it's for a travel bike) might be a PITA. Thanks Steve, or is it Barb ?

your problem can be solved somehow...

The right solution is probably to put the Moots on my wife's Ti Hampsten and do the shimmed 27.2 AL thing for a year or so.

buddybikes
10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
It's Steve, my wife is no wrench...

PS: Sitting here with my leg up, had Meniscus/Knee cyst surgery 5 hours ago. My cycling season is basically over other than light rides

donevwil
10-11-2013, 12:58 PM
It's Steve, my wife is no wrench...

PS: Sitting here with my leg up, had Meniscus/Knee cyst surgery 5 hours ago. My cycling season is basically over other than light rides

Best wishes on your recovery. I got into cycling after tearing my ACL, patellar tendon and medial meniscus. HMO wouldn't fix it so it was either cycling or swimming. 25 years later they're still torn and I'm still cycling.

cmbicycles
10-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Can't tell from the picture but this looks like the older moots design with the bolts on the back of the post

http://vannicholas.com/componentsdetails.aspx?id=11&type=vntitanium

donevwil
10-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Can't tell from the picture but this looks like the older moots design with the bolts on the back of the post

http://vannicholas.com/componentsdetails.aspx?id=11&type=vntitanium

Excellent, you appear to be correct. Will fire-off an email to confirm.

bozman
10-11-2013, 01:33 PM
I have a 30.9 Eriksen on my Strong. Great post. The layback is 14mm, tho.

happycampyer
10-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Did Moots ever make the old style seatpost in 30.9mm?

lonoeightysix
10-11-2013, 04:09 PM
i thought the fattest was 28.6 (had one for a smoothie FS). the biscuits are no longer being made, but i do remember another old school component maker using those clamps.

another idea for a DIY tool, what bolt size has a 6mm hex head? i bet you could have that bolt head spot welded onto something thin, like a cone wrench.

donevwil
10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
another idea for a DIY tool, what bolt size has a 6mm hex head? i bet you could have that bolt head spot welded onto something thin, like a cone wrench.

Will try that with a cut off Allen key this w/e, but I still feel it'll be so tight I'll likely bung-up the side plates negotiating the tool in and out and then I'll still have no way to set the angle after the saddle is tightened.

I'm pretty bummed as I bought the thing ($$$$$$) and had the framebuilder (Potts) re-finish it to match the frame, all without ever trying it with my saddle. Very expensive lesson.

lonoeightysix
10-11-2013, 06:49 PM
post a pic of that area when you get a chance. what about replacing the stock socket bolt with a standard head bolt? then you could get a open end wrench on it. only you will know it's there...

tuscanyswe
10-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Excellent, you appear to be correct. Will fire-off an email to confirm.

Ive had one of these. There is some concern about slipping with em. Mine stayed put after a while but others have been dissapointed with it.

lonoeightysix
10-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Ive had one of these. There is some concern about slipping with em. Mine stayed put after a while but others have been dissapointed with it.

mine slipped in MTB usage, in the absence of relatively fresh AL biscuits.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Did Moots ever make the old style seatpost in 30.9mm?

no

NJC
10-12-2013, 11:31 AM
I've used Moots and Eriksen - I much prefer Eriksen - he can also do a custom layback for you for a relatively minor upcharge . . .

John H.
10-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Sorry, to hear. I did see same thing happen to a purchaser of a Kent Eriksen that I built.
Fortunately for him, the Eriksen is 27.2.
Your tool idea will work. I made a similar tool when I was riding a San Marco Strada saddle with side skirts.
You just have to peel the side skirt back while tightening.
What may happen though is that the side parts from the seatpost push the side skirts of the saddle out and change the width of the saddle at this point.
This may be a deal breaker- or may not.
The other thing that could happen is that the side pieces of the seatpost wear away at the skirts of the saddle.
Re: 30.9 setback Eriksen post. They do make one- it is straight with an offset head. It does not look as cool as the curved one (IMO).
I would just look for a nice 30.9 carbon or aluminum with a standard cradle.
Or wait and see if the new Fizik Volta saddle fits your post. It is supposedly modeled from "old school" saddle. That or the newer "Regale" saddle.

donevwil
10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Sorry, to hear. I did see same thing happen to a purchaser of a Kent Eriksen that I built.
Fortunately for him, the Eriksen is 27.2.
Your tool idea will work. I made a similar tool when I was riding a San Marco Strada saddle with side skirts.
You just have to peel the side skirt back while tightening.
What may happen though is that the side parts from the seatpost push the side skirts of the saddle out and change the width of the saddle at this point.
This may be a deal breaker- or may not.
The other thing that could happen is that the side pieces of the seatpost wear away at the skirts of the saddle.
Re: 30.9 setback Eriksen post. They do make one- it is straight with an offset head. It does not look as cool as the curved one (IMO).
I would just look for a nice 30.9 carbon or aluminum with a standard cradle.
Or wait and see if the new Fizik Volta saddle fits your post. It is supposedly modeled from "old school" saddle. That or the newer "Regale" saddle.

John,

Fortunately my Moots post's side pieces are 2-3mm clear of the saddle when positioned properly so if I can get it tightened I'm good to go. The short 6mm hex on-a-flat-cone-wrench-type-of-tool recommended previously should work. A pain to adjust, but once set I'll be good. I too initially looked at Eriksen for a 30.9 but did not like the offset welded straight post configuration and have had others share that it was a harsh riding post for Ti.

cloudchaser
10-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I am going through the same conundrum with an Eriksen Sweetpost. Old style Regal saddle with deep side skirts prevents the saddle from being set anywhere but far forward to avoid binding the clamping mechanism. Picked up a Regale with its lack of side skirts, but the rails were a bit closer together than the original Regal and could not get it to mount at all. My solution was to order a Fizik Cyrano Seatpost. Still waiting for it to arrive. Comes in 30.9, decent setback, and an offsetting thumbwheel/set screw clamping/tilt mechanism; and most importantly comes in a gloss black aluminum version to match my stem :) I have liked the Eriksen post, but have had 3 saddles that didn't make nice with its clamping mechanism.

donevwil
11-07-2013, 04:08 PM
I am going through the same conundrum with an Eriksen Sweetpost. Old style Regal saddle with deep side skirts prevents the saddle from being set anywhere but far forward to avoid binding the clamping mechanism. Picked up a Regale with its lack of side skirts, but the rails were a bit closer together than the original Regal and could not get it to mount at all. My solution was to order a Fizik Cyrano Seatpost. Still waiting for it to arrive. Comes in 30.9, decent setback, and an offsetting thumbwheel/set screw clamping/tilt mechanism; and most importantly comes in a gloss black aluminum version to match my stem :) I have liked the Eriksen post, but have had 3 saddles that didn't make nice with its clamping mechanism.

I finally gave up on my Moots, my Turbomatic is far more important than a blingy seatpost. Tried a few work-arounds and fab'd a tool to no avail. Fortunately a generous Paceliner hooked me up with a new Ritchey Classic.

donevwil
04-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Bumping this up to see if anyone knows of any brands that haven't yet been identified. Currently it appears only Van Nicholas makes a titanium seatpost in 30.9 with setback and bottom access seat mounting and adjusting hardware (i.e. no Moots, Eriksen, Firefly, Lynskey, Seven, etc). I've Googled every iteration and come up with a few close matches (Torus, Qoroz) whom I've emailed, but no specific offerings yet.

rrudoff
04-05-2014, 06:46 AM
You can buy short arm Allen wrench sets from McMaster. Even easier would be a mini ratchet with hex such as those that chapman makes. These are useful for all sort of hard access issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigoat
04-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Why not use a shim adaptor with a 27.2mm seatpost? I was skeptical before but no more after trying a Cane Creek shim to adapt a 30.9mm to a 27.2mm post. I find the combo of a Thomson clamp and Cane Creek shim work best with a seamless integration. The lips of these Thomson clamp and Cane Creek shim are very shadow, which allows the clamp to close without interference. Also both lips are at the same level so you can't tell there is a shim there. Nonetheless, it is another good option to consider to adapt a 27.2mm seatpost to a frame designed for a 30.9mm seatpost.

donevwil
04-05-2014, 01:01 PM
I tried the short Allen path and it didn't work, even made my own out of a nut and cone wrench. Just not enough room and even if there were I wouldn't be able to get at the inner tilt screw.

Adapting a 27.2 is indeed an option ultimately, been doing that for years on my wife's Hampsten with no problem. I'm currently using a Ritchey Classic which works perfectly fine.

Stan Lee
04-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Is the post for that Potts road bike at Black Mountain?

merlincustom1
04-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Sorry. Mis-read your OP. Was going to recommend Bold.

Ahneida Ride
04-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Don't forget Bold Seatposts

http://www.boldprecision.com/seatposts.htm

Fully custom

donevwil
04-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Is the post for that Potts road bike at Black Mountain?

No, it's the one Steve showed at NAHBS (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136466&page=3)this year. The Moots post on the bike is the one I had blasted to match only to find that it won't play with my Turbomatic II.

Don't forget Bold Seatposts

http://www.boldprecision.com/seatposts.htm

Fully custom

Bold uses a side access clamp, same as Eriksen, Moots, etc. The exact design that won't work.