PDA

View Full Version : 28 vs 32 hole rims

Fixed
01-10-2006, 06:30 AM
bro if you were building a new set od o.p. 's what would you use for 170 pounder ? for a cat 3 : would 28's be strong enough even if you tied and soder the drive side? cheers :beer:

ergott
01-10-2006, 07:10 AM
bro if you were building a new set od o.p. 's what would you use for 170 pounder ? for a cat 3 : would 28's be strong enough even if you tied and soder the drive side? cheers :beer:

28 spokes a strong enough for you, but the question is stiffness, not strength.

Don't waste time with a tie and solder job. It just complicates things and offers no benefits. The difference between 32 and 28 spokes will be lateral stiffness. Also, spoke gauge will factor in the decision. A good all around choice would be a 32 spoke wheel with 2.0/1.8/2.0mm on the drive side and 2.0/1.5/2.0mm non drive spokes. The front can have 32 2.0/1.5/2.0mm spoke all around. This set will be light and durable. You can substitute 2.0/1.8/2.0mm spokes in for the front and non drive spokes as you wish for added stiffness. 3 cross everything as well (2 cross for 28) for added durability.

saab2000
01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I use 32 rear and 28 front. Mr. Ergott knows more than I for sure, but I have also built a slew o' wheels. IMHO, the front expreriences about 10% of the stress of a rear, so I go with revs on the front.

I like my Velocity Aeroheads, especially with the offset spoke holes on the rear. I would like to try the DT SWISS hubs, which also offer some help on the spoke tension by having a narrower flange spacing on the rear hub. Ideally, one might use those hubs with those rims.

Of course, I am a huge fan of the campy wheels and if you can find a good used set of Neutrons you will be very happy. Bro.

Grant McLean
01-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I just built a set of 28 hole mavic reflex/campy record wheels on the weekend,
(allbeit with 2.0/1.5 butted spokes.)

The lateral stiffness of the rear wheel is no where near what it is on a
prebuilt wheel like a Neucleon or a Eurus. With the hub on the ground,
and pushing on the rim, there is some spongy deflection. For a strong
crit sprinter, I would think this wouldn't be the stiffest combo.
(if stiffness matters...)

-gee

tv_vt
01-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I've been trying to decide on a new set of wheels, built around my DA 32 hole hubs. The leading contender at the moment is Mavic CXP33 rims with Sapim CX Ray spokes, 3x all around. I weigh 180. The new DT rim intrigued me, but Im not sure about durability, and I've got open pro wheels. Not sure what difference the Sapims will make, but was curious about the aero aspect and "free" speed. Anybody have any experience with rim/spokes?

ergott
01-10-2006, 12:25 PM
I've been trying to decide on a new set of wheels, built around my DA 32 hole hubs. The leading contender at the moment is Mavic CXP33 rims with Sapim CX Ray spokes, 3x all around. I weigh 180. The new DT rim intrigued me, but Im not sure about durability, and I've got open pro wheels. Not sure what difference the Sapims will make, but was curious about the aero aspect and "free" speed. Anybody have any experience with rim/spokes?

For the price of the spokes you won't be blown away by the difference. I reserve those spokes for ultimate wheels where I'm trying to squeeze every gain possible. You stand to gain more spending the money towards carbon aero rims.

I have a set of Zipp 280/DT 240s wheels with DT aerolites (same as CX-Rays). They are the same gauge as Revos, but around 5 times the price. They aren't 5 times better, but they are great.

tv_vt
01-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Eric,

Thanks for the comment about the sapims. I realize the "cost/benefit" of the CX Ray spokes wouldn't look too impressive, but will still go with them, at least in front, and maybe consider Revolutions in the rear. As far as aero rims, I found few choices for this project. There are Velocity Deep V's and Fusions and that's about it, unless I jump up in price exponentially and get a zipp for $450 or so per rim. I also don't want to sacrifice ride comfort completely, too. It seems Mavic has deeper cross section rims, but is only using them in their pre-built wheels like the Cosmic Elite or K's.

Thom

ergott
01-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Eric,

Thanks for the comment about the sapims. I realize the "cost/benefit" of the CX Ray spokes wouldn't look too impressive, but will still go with them, at least in front, and maybe consider Revolutions in the rear. As far as aero rims, I found few choices for this project. There are Velocity Deep V's and Fusions and that's about it, unless I jump up in price exponentially and get a zipp for $450 or so per rim. I also don't want to sacrifice ride comfort completely, too. It seems Mavic has deeper cross section rims, but is only using them in their pre-built wheels like the Cosmic Elite or K's.

Thom

No half steppin'. If your getting CX-Rays, do the whole set! ;)

Brian Smith
01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
with 8+ rear cogs?
36 rear, 28 front
32 rear, 24 front
asymmetrical rim if you can get it to "match" the front
but then I consider wheel truing "repair" rather than "maintenance," since if the wheel was built right originally, what you're doing is fighting bent rim metal

and I ride it like...well not like I stole it, because if I did it wouldn't change a thing, but I ride it like the wheel should support my riding, not the other way around

Fixed
01-11-2006, 01:13 PM
bro rode the 28's today they have really cool 601 hubs ,hard ride on rolling hills with ex jr nat. team member who raced all over europe and has a new pro deal this year and the state champ, fromer pro 40+ bro these guys were killin my bros .oh yeah back to the wheels have you ever rode a set where you felt like you were fighting with them ? This is a big gear ride ,to me the 32 's are alot better so the 28's are goin to my jr.racer son he has heliums now so he will have 2 sets. I will use 32 o.p.'s . I have a set of mavic gl 330 's tubulars with mavic hubs too for my 2 nd set, so it's all good .cheers :beer: